cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC)

Fightman
Level 7
Hello, I have a question about the wi-fi adapter in the Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC edition). I would like to know if there is any software I can use to control the adapter/antenna a little more than what the Windows interface is capable of. For instance: I would like to be able to view the exact signal strength of the antennas, and also have the option to change the frequency band from 5 GHz to 2.4 GHz, to select a different wi-fi channel, among other things.

The reason I'm asking about this is because of some prior experience I've had with another Asus product: the USB N-53 USB wi-fi adapter (see here>> https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/USBN53/ ). I was using it in my previous build, and it worked quite well, aside from antenna positioning issues. The adapter was bundled with a Wireless LAN Manager software made especially for the USB N-53 (the ASUS USB-N53 Utility). It had a lot of control over many of its functions, including the frequency band and channels. It even had a signal strength graph which was very useful.

I know the 5 GHz band is a newer standard, but 2.4 GHz still does well over greater distance, and the way my house is and how I have my PCs set up, 2.4 GHz is more useful for me, since I have my PC far enough away from the wi-fi router that 5 GHz doesn't seem quite as effective. I will say: the adapter and antenna in the Maximus X Hero does work, and seems to perform as well as my old USB adapter, which I still have.

I would just like to know if there's any software similar to the USB N-53's WLAN Manager that I can use in a similar way to the Maximus X Hero's built-in adapter. I understand that it is technically a Realtek chipset (Realtek 8822BE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PCI-E NIC).

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!
4 REPLIES 4

Menthol
Level 14
I have one of the ASUS USB wifi adapters myself and they do work extremely well.
I don't know of any app you are asking for but if your router is both 2.4 and 5 ghz Windows should give the option to connect to either, Windows gives my Hero Wifi the option but so does my Samsung TV's and every other device in my house gives me the option to connect to either the 2.4Ghz band or 5Ghz band

Thanks for the reply! I can't seem to find that option in Windows, but I'll keep looking. I think I used the wrong term for the 2.4/5 GHz frequencies...It's wi-fi channel width. That's what I'd like to change. But I'll keep searching in Windows to see if there's an option to switch that. I can't find it in the adapter properties so far (such as in Device Manager).

Windows, or the driver for this adapter, seems to have automatically switched to 2.4 GHz (though I had noticed before that it was stuck on 5 GHz). Problem solved, for now, anyway...but I wish I had more control over it.

I think it might be a driver-related issue, and I'd probably have to wait for Realtek to release a driver that allows users to switch these various settings...

Anyway, thanks again.

Menthol
Level 14
left click on Ethernet adapter bottom right of taskbar and all wifi routers within range should show and 5G if available, my router shows twice one 5G one without
If your router is dual channel and doesn't show you may have to go into your router settings to enable 5G

I'd just like the thing to work. The onboard wifi connects then disconnects...I bought the board and then had to rely on previous ASUS USB wifi adapter I had...

no setting for channel width that i've seen.