cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLI...is dead to me!

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK so big day here....

My second GTX Titan X has been pulled from my rig...where, quite frankly, it has been getting a free ride for some time. Time for it to find another home where it can work for it's board and lodging.

SLI is dead to me

I have always been a proponent of single GPU gaming...in the sense that it's better to buy the best single GPU from any generation and go from there. If you wanted/had the cash...only then double up. And though it was always a bit of a faff it used to be worth it.

Now however major titles are simply not supporting mGPU and with the advent of GSync it doesn't matter if your GPU sinks to 50 or 40 FPS sometimes, you still get stable gaming.

I have just pulled the GPU and was wondering if my MB was going to look naked but it doesn't...I can see PCH cover all nice and lit now and since I have a nice looking soundcard in there too, well it just looks lean and clean.

GPUs are moving to cover even 4K gaming on one card.

End of an era...

What do you reckon?
23 REPLIES 23

darkage
Level 11
get a itx
small is beautiful
like my island 🙂

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Currently, as the market stands it's going nowhere fast.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

darkage wrote:
get a itx
small is beautiful
like my island 🙂

LOL 😄

Silent Scone wrote:
Currently, as the market stands it's going nowhere fast.

Certainly seems that way...unless 8K becomes a thing...tomorrow

toronto699
Level 13
8 K Has arrived in the TV Broadcast Industry , available in Japan Right now limited though , 2020 Olympics will be broadcast in 8 k
I am Using a Sony 8k Beta cam { TV Camera} as we speak

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah...people are asking for video work to be in 8K already as future proofing...but the number of even 4K screens for general gaming is a minuscule percentage...most people still gaming 1080p

ACO came out recently...traditionally had SLI support...still nothing to date...sign of the times...

toronto699
Level 13
all These 8k and 4k to me is waste of money , no content , sports mostly its a way to fool consumer , into buying something they do not need or have the equipment to support the technology

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I recently upgraded monitor and tried 4K came back to 1440p for now....rated GSync at 1440p and higher Hz more useful for my desktop useage

4K 100%adobe RGB IPS with Gsync at the right price and I'll make a move....;)

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I recently upgraded monitor and tried 4K came back to 1440p for now....rated GSync at 1440p and higher Hz more useful for my desktop useage

4K 100%adobe RGB IPS with Gsync at the right price and I'll make a move....;)

I've done the same over the last 2 years, too.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Funny right...I was all set to make the move but 27inch which is perfect size for the distance I sit at made 4K unnecessary frankly....coupled with scaling etc.....the bigger 32 inch I tried was "too big"

Maybe I need a bigger house...

Of course if you are into your benching numbers then it has some satisfaction...but so does good scotch and you can buy....