cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With the Maximus X Code will Noctua D15 fit? Gskill RAM

rtkizzle
Level 7
So after much thought , I decided to air cool my new build instead of buying a AIO. I plan on building a custom water loop later in the future. I as going to build my loop when built the comp but with a 3k budget I decided to buy the 3 year warranty for the vcard (If 1080ti's ever come down in price or back in stock for that matter). Been seeing a lot of reviews of cards dying after a few months and knowing my luck that would happen to me. Buy an AIO seems like wasted money because I eventually want to build a custom loop. So I started looking for air coolers and of course the Noctua D15 stood out. It might take me some months to eventually afford a custom loop and since plan on fiddling with overclocking ant something that could get the job done in the mean time. So here's my problem. I can't find any specs for dimensions anywhere for the Maximus X Code. On top of that, on noctua's site for mother board compatibility, the Code isn't on there but the X Hero is. Also, if it doesn't fit, will the D15S? Or is there any other good air coolers I should look at? Tanks guys in advance.
1 REPLY 1

Links
Level 7
Hi,
I can recommend buying NH-U14S.
You can search for reviews and take a look, that this model is very close to D15.
But it's cheaper, less heavy and a lot more compatible with high ram sticks.
It has a 140mm pwm fan, second can be attached. At it's lowest 250 rpm the fan is very quiet.
You can set the fan into the "pull" position to have 100% compatibility with any ram.

I use one myself. I have IX Formula and low-profile corsair XLP ram.
But this cooler allows me to install something like corsair dominator ram with very high heatsinks.

I wanted a different ram, but didn't want to take a risk.

Was thinking about AIO too, but it's much more loud, unreliable (in comparisone with air) and does not offer THAT MUCH a performance advantage.
In tests AIO's usually have around 5c advantage in temp and 30 dB "advantage" in sound.... for double the price, a chance of pump failure and leakage.

P.S If I were you, I would sit with a standart box cooler and save some money.
I'm sure, you will survive a few months without OC'ing your CPU.