cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X Hero WIFI - AC Samsung 960 Evo - doesnt boot

Tharnay
Level 7
Hi there,

I've got a Asus ROG Maximus X Hero WIFI-AC Intel Z370 + 250GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2 2280 NVMe PCI + Intel 8700k + 16GB (2x 8192MB) Corsair Vengeance LPX schwarz DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16-19-19-36 Dual Kit.

I am trying to install Win 10 pro 64-bit to the NVMe drive, it's connected to the M2_2 Socket and all other disks/drives/etc. are disconnected to support a clean install only to the NVMe.
When trying to install Win10 from USB everything looks normal, Win10 is creating the partition but after that the system can't boot from the NVMe.

Which settings do I have to make in the UEFI or should I partition/format the NVMe with my old system before I try to install as boot device?
7 REPLIES 7

Menthol
Level 14
It's best to let Windows partition and format during the install process
Are you using default EFI "bios" settings?
Is Windows fully installing then rebooting to complete the installation?
After Windows is installed , Windows boot manager should be the 1st. boot priority in the boot menu

Menthol wrote:
It's best to let Windows partition and format during the install process
Are you using default EFI "bios" settings?

Yes

Menthol wrote:
Is Windows fully installing then rebooting to complete the installation?

Yes, fully installed, I can select the NVMe, Win10 is creating the partition and installs. After the restart, I plugged out the USB Win10 Installer and hit F8 to select the NVMe to boot. After that I am always back in the UEFI BIOS. Its just like theres no MBR or something to boot with.

Menthol wrote:
After Windows is installed , Windows boot manager should be the 1st. boot priority in the boot menu

After the Installation there isnt a Windows Boot Manager entry in the boot list.*

Menthol
Level 14
are all the settings in EFI, boot menu set to default, CSM auto or enabled, other OS? Windows should install in UEFI mode and Windows boot manager has to show in the boot menu
How did you create your USB Windows media, using the Windows media creation tool which burns it to the USB drive? If not and if you can do that may help

Menthol
Level 14
are all the settings in EFI, boot menu set to default, CSM auto or enabled, other OS? Windows should install in UEFI mode and Windows boot manager has to show in the boot menu
How did you create your USB Windows media, using the Windows media creation tool which burns it to the USB drive? If not and if you can do that may help

Menthol wrote:

All other settings are to default. I've set OS Type to "Windows UEFI mode" and CSM to enabled with the settings shown in the screenshots. When I toggle CSM to AUTO oder DISABLED the NVMe won't show up as a boot device.
The USB Win 10 Install Stick was created with the media creation tool.
Another weird thing, when I boot from my old common SSD with Win 10 then I can use the NVMe as a drive (I can partition it, formate it) but I doesn't shows up with the Samsung Magician tool or with the crystal mark benchmark tool. The NVMe works only withe the ATTO Benchmark. I've installed the Samsung NVMe driver an the NVMe ist listed in the device manager.

Menthol
Level 14
I use CSM enabled as you did, I always leave OS type as other, I have never had an issue, you could have a faulty drive
Depending what M.2 slot your drive is in you need to set to X4 for full bandwidth

After I've tried several options in the BIOS and the fact that the NVME doesn't shows up in Samsung Magician it must be faulty, I will try another one. 😞