Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
    Headset Kington HyperX Revolver S
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine HD6
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys WRT1900ACS
    Accessory #1 HTC Vive (1st gen)

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianMan View Post
    If perhaps it happens that updating with the BIOS patched by means of Flashback the Motherboard remains brick and does not start, is there the possibility of returning to the previous BIOS and that it works correctly again?
    Yes. You have a USB stick handy with the good BIOS image on it and then you Flashback that. It's a great design. The PC is off, but connected to the mains supply, so there's no defective BIOS running to screw things up. You'd clear CMOS, then wipe over the defective BIOS with a working one through the Flashback method. The only thing to worry about is having an active defective BIOS that impede proper hardware functionality.
    "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown

New ROGer Array

I keep getting this.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos 2018-03-28 (2).jpg  

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Axle Grease PC Specs
    Axle Grease PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage V Extreme w/ BIOS 3801
    ProcessorIntel i7-5960X
    Memory (part number)F4-3000C15Q-16GRR
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1Corsair MP510 1.92TB (NVMe)
    Storage #22 X Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro Series H110
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 900D
    Power SupplyAntec HCP-1300 Platinum
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB with Cherry MX Silent switches
    Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by sultan.of.swing View Post
    I keep getting this.
    Rename "R5E tools" to "R5Etools" The space confuses it.
    "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Axle Grease PC Specs
    Axle Grease PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage V Extreme w/ BIOS 3801
    ProcessorIntel i7-5960X
    Memory (part number)F4-3000C15Q-16GRR
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1Corsair MP510 1.92TB (NVMe)
    Storage #22 X Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro Series H110
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 900D
    Power SupplyAntec HCP-1300 Platinum
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB with Cherry MX Silent switches
    Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mlippold View Post
    I hear ya. I have an extremely old Intel P35-ICH9R (Abit IP35 Pro) with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (Still runs Windows 10 fine ) that I've just given up thinking about updating via the BIOS.

I'm just going to wait for this Microsoft patch to get the Intel microcode updates: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rocode-updates

Intel will probably get to this ancient processor dead last in their list of microcodes they need to update and I expect Microsoft to get to adding it a month or two after that.

Yay. I know now how to patch the BIOS for the R2E. The process turned out to be dead easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH-9R5gdNF0

I used MMTool 3.22.

Intel's microcode update for the Intel i7-965 is still in the "planning" stage. The latest microcode patch available for the Intel i7-965 is from 2013 so that's what I used. I flashed the patched BIOS image from within the running BIOS using the Asus EZ Flash 2 Utility

So glad I didn't brick that machine. It lacks the modern flashback safeguard.

Edit: (4 Apr) ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!

https://www.techpowerup.com/242974/intel-stops-development-deployment-of-spectre-microcode-update-for-several-cpu-families
    Last edited by Axle Grease; 04-03-2018 at 06:41 PM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Axle Grease View Post
    Rename "R5E tools" to "R5Etools" The space confuses it.
    Worked perfectly, thank you sir.

ROG Junior Member Array

Well I copied your instructions. At first even USB flashback procedure would not work but after trying again with patched MMTool USB flashback procedure worked. First boot after update seemed to take a while to load ROG splash screen but windows did eventually load, however the first thing I did was to load CPU-Z just out of curiosity and as soon as I double clicked it I got loud screeching out of speakers and then BSOD. think I will prey that ASUS finally get there act together and updates the bios.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by pottzman View Post
    Well I copied your instructions. At first even USB flashback procedure would not work but after trying again with patched MMTool USB flashback procedure worked. First boot after update seemed to take a while to load ROG splash screen but windows did eventually load, however the first thing I did was to load CPU-Z just out of curiosity and as soon as I double clicked it I got loud screeching out of speakers and then BSOD. think I will prey that ASUS finally get there act together and updates the bios.
    You do realize that after you flash your BIOS you need to go back into the BIOS setup and set everything back up again right?

ROG Junior Member Array

Yes I know that after flashing the bios that you need to enter the setup and set the options again, and I went into the bios and selected load optimised defaults and then changed the settings to how I like it. I do not overclock besides "XMP". However after reading your response I tried again and this time there has not been any BSOD but I do notice quite a lot more "lag" in windows. Just little things like starting/closing programs, especially when the computer has been idle for a while. anyway I'll change my stance, yes this method does work and thankyou to the OP for the guide.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by pottzman View Post
    Yes I know that after flashing the bios that you need to enter the setup and set the options again, and I went into the bios and selected load optimised defaults and then changed the settings to how I like it. I do not overclock besides "XMP". However after reading your response I tried again and this time there has not been any BSOD but I do notice quite a lot more "lag" in windows. Just little things like starting/closing programs, especially when the computer has been idle for a while. anyway I'll change my stance, yes this method does work and thankyou to the OP for the guide.
    The sluggishness you have is probably just the degradation you get with this version of the microcode unfortunately. Not much you can do about that except to maybe try for a stable overclock if you have good cooling.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by mlippold View Post
    The sluggishness you have is probably just the degradation you get with this version of the microcode unfortunately. Not much you can do about that except to maybe try for a stable overclock if you have good cooling.
    ¿Would a stable overclock of 800mhz compensate for the slowness generated by this microcode on I7 4770K Processor?

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast