Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
    Headset Kington HyperX Revolver S
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine HD6
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys WRT1900ACS
    Accessory #1 HTC Vive (1st gen)

Quote Originally Posted by CMDRZOD View Post
    I just updated the RVE BIOS 3902 with the latest mCode dated July 4 2018. The instructions on the first page worked flawlessly. Just building up the gumption to install it. Not sure if I feel like re-doing all my BIOS settings again, may wait a while before installing or do it next weekend.

Edit: Cannot seem to install the update. The BIOS and USB flashback methods don't work. Invalid BIOS file :-(
    It's the exact same size as the original so not sure what is going wrong for me.
    The most recent microcode data file I can find on Intel's site is dated July 3 2018, and it's for Xeons only.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...code-Data-File
    "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown

ROG Enthusiast Array CMDRZOD PC Specs
    CMDRZOD PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme
    Processori7 6950x 4.3Ghz 1.3V
    Memory (part number)Gskill Trident 32GB 3200Mhz 13-13-13-32 1.35V
    Graphics Card #1Aorus 1080Ti Extreme Waterblock Edition +50 Core +625 GDDR5
    Graphics Card #2Aorus 1080Ti Extreme Waterblock Edition +50 Core +625 GDDR5
    Graphics Card #3Aorus HB SLI Bridge RGB
    Sound CardOnboard Realtek HD Audio
    MonitorUN65HU9000 4k TV with SEK-3500
    Storage #1RAID 0 4x 4TB Seagate Blue SSHD
    Storage #2Intel 750 PCIE 1.2TB NVME
    CPU CoolerEK Monoblock
    CaseCaseLabs Magnum M10 Doublewide
    Power SupplyCorsair 1500Axi
    Keyboard Wireless Microsoft 3000v2
    Mouse Wireless Microsoft 3000v2
    Headset Astro Gaming A50 wireless
    Mouse Pad Minecraft pad!
    Headset/Speakers Logitech 5.1 THX 300 watt using optical output
    OS Win 10 64 FCU
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC66U Merlin FW
    Accessory #1 Club3D DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 Active converter for TV
    Accessory #2 Phanteks PWM Fan Controller x2
    Accessory #3 Upgraded OC Front panel

Quote Originally Posted by Axle Grease View Post
    The most recent microcode data file I can find on Intel's site is dated July 3 2018, and it's for Xeons only.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...code-Data-File
    Well whoops then. In any case a new linux microcode update was released by intel a few days ago. The mCode for my processor (6950x, 06-4f-01) is in the folder named "with caveats".

I wonder if its safe to install. I compared it to the last mCode and this one is 2kb larger.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Axle Grease PC Specs
    Axle Grease PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage V Extreme w/ BIOS 3801
    ProcessorIntel i7-5960X
    Memory (part number)F4-3000C15Q-16GRR
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1Corsair MP510 1.92TB (NVMe)
    Storage #22 X Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro Series H110
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 900D
    Power SupplyAntec HCP-1300 Platinum
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB with Cherry MX Silent switches
    Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Well whoops then. In any case a new linux microcode update was released by intel a few days ago. The mCode for my processor (6950x, 06-4f-01) is in the folder named "with caveats".

I wonder if its safe to install. I compared it to the last mCode and this one is 2kb larger.
    I patched BIOS 3801 with the latest mcode for the i7-5960X last weekend. The caveats for the 6950X only matter if you're running Linux. I don't find it strange that the size of the 6950X mcode has been increased ( in fact by 1024 bytes ). Improved protection against exploits may require more code. However, it is strange that no change is mentioned under the Detailed Description for the latest release.

I'd patch and flash. It is mcode specifically for the i7-6950X.
    Last edited by Axle Grease; 08-16-2018 at 07:55 AM.
    "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown

ROG Enthusiast Array CMDRZOD PC Specs
    CMDRZOD PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme
    Processori7 6950x 4.3Ghz 1.3V
    Memory (part number)Gskill Trident 32GB 3200Mhz 13-13-13-32 1.35V
    Graphics Card #1Aorus 1080Ti Extreme Waterblock Edition +50 Core +625 GDDR5
    Graphics Card #2Aorus 1080Ti Extreme Waterblock Edition +50 Core +625 GDDR5
    Graphics Card #3Aorus HB SLI Bridge RGB
    Sound CardOnboard Realtek HD Audio
    MonitorUN65HU9000 4k TV with SEK-3500
    Storage #1RAID 0 4x 4TB Seagate Blue SSHD
    Storage #2Intel 750 PCIE 1.2TB NVME
    CPU CoolerEK Monoblock
    CaseCaseLabs Magnum M10 Doublewide
    Power SupplyCorsair 1500Axi
    Keyboard Wireless Microsoft 3000v2
    Mouse Wireless Microsoft 3000v2
    Headset Astro Gaming A50 wireless
    Mouse Pad Minecraft pad!
    Headset/Speakers Logitech 5.1 THX 300 watt using optical output
    OS Win 10 64 FCU
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC66U Merlin FW
    Accessory #1 Club3D DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 Active converter for TV
    Accessory #2 Phanteks PWM Fan Controller x2
    Accessory #3 Upgraded OC Front panel

I've used your excellent instructions from the first page to mod the 3902 Beta BIOS with the latest 6950x mCode. USB Flashback worked flawlessly. Seems to be working fine so far, AIDA64 shows my microcode update revision at 2eh.

I wonder what the rest of the modules inside the BIOS are and if they can be updated?

Axle Grease PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel i7-5960X
    Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
    OS Windows 10 Pro

I've used your excellent instructions from the first page to mod the 3902 Beta BIOS with the latest 6950x mCode. USB Flashback worked flawlessly. Seems to be working fine so far, AIDA64 shows my microcode update revision at 2eh.

I wonder what the rest of the modules inside the BIOS are and if they can be updated?
    There's a multitude of stuff related to hardware initialization. You can load a BIOS image into MMTool.exe or UEFITool.exe and find very tersely worded filenames, but updating anything other than the CPU microcode was never of any interest to me. So, that's where my knowledge ends. I just wanted to plaster over the spectre exploit. There are people on the Win-RAID forum and BIOS-Mods forum who have updated other BIOS modules.

ROG Junior Member Array

Just want to ask a question here. I have followed this guide and have success. I flashed the latest ASUS 3902 bios. It contains revision 3C for 5960X (306F2) mCode. However there is now a revision 3D for this cpu. I have since modded the 3902 bios with revision 3D mCode and the system is running fine however using Inspectre as guided by OP it tells me there is a microcode update available. searching google I came across this page https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rocode-updates that shows the 5960X as having a CPUID of 40661 and a revision of 19. surely this is a typo right. However this site https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-conten...e-guidance.pdf also has the same CPUID and revision and it seems to be from intel themselves......... whats going on here and why does inspectre tell me there is a mCode update available? can't make sense of it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inspectre.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	76462

Axle Grease PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel i7-5960X
    Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by pottzman View Post
    Just want to ask a question here. I have followed this guide and have success. I flashed the latest ASUS 3902 bios. It contains revision 3C for 5960X (306F2) mCode. However there is now a revision 3D for this cpu. I have since modded the 3902 bios with revision 3D mCode and the system is running fine however using Inspectre as guided by OP it tells me there is a microcode update available. searching google I came across this page https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rocode-updates that shows the 5960X as having a CPUID of 40661 and a revision of 19. surely this is a typo right. However this site https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-conten...e-guidance.pdf also has the same CPUID and revision and it seems to be from intel themselves......... whats going on here and why does inspectre tell me there is a mCode update available? can't make sense of it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inspectre.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	76462

I queried the developers of CPU-Z about this. The reply is as follows:

"The 5960X is well an Haswell-E, and the CPUID reported by cpuz is what is
    expected on tha chip, as you can see here :
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i...Extreme%20Edit
    ion.html

Note that the CPUID (Family/Model/Stepping) are read directly on the CPU,
    and not hardcoded.

Thanks,
    Franck

"

It's good enough for me knowing the software is reading directly from the chip.

As to the mcode update; it also confused me. I grabbed this off the GRC Inspectre webpage:

"Release #8 — Now shows whether an Intel microcode patch is (ever) available for Spectre.
    Intel has finished designing microcode update patches for its processors. On April 2nd, 2018, they announced that processors that have not yet been patched will never be patched. Their full statement is available in this PDF document. In that document, Intel specifies which of their many processors do have patches and which of their more recent processors will never receive updated firmware. Now that the industry has this information, this 8th release of InSpectre incorporates that list of CPUIDs and displays whether microcode firmware updates exist for the system's Intel CPU."

I take this to mean that Inspectre shows Intel having an update available for the CPU, not necessarily a newer update than the one you've patched your BIOS with.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Can´t thank you enough. After the Windows 10 update ruining my OC, I made a custome Bios based on 3504 (the one that worked best for me) inc. mCode for 6950x. A normale flash wouldn´t work but a flash from USB worked fine.
    Thanks a lot!

ROG Member Array

I came across this thread when trying to get a bit more info on using the Bios Flashback button on the back of the board. I've used it before successfully, but that was years ago, and I've always been hesitant about flashing BIOS. Now i see this thread and Im even more hesitant as I need to do this stuff myself. How come Asus have not released a new bios for this board in almost a year? Is it because each system would need a bios specific for its chip... so bios updates are now just abandoned? I have always found this system to be flakey, and I was gathering up the nerve to finally flash to a much more recent BIOS... this is kinda scaring me again.

To clarify, the link to the new microcode says Linux. My chip is listed, and has been mentioned about, the 5960x. Im in Windows10. Im not somehow missing some fact that this is NOT meant for windows users? The post above me says win10, so im guessing its fine.

Why i started searching in the first place was to see if any special preparations were needed for the USB stick... format type, etc.... Can i just format to fat32 and then start the instructions on page1 here?

Finally, the new UBU 1.71 seems to have changed its menu options. I cant find the options for the steps in the first post. Can you update those steps so I know how to do this? I tried some 'logical' choices based on the available options, but couldnt find an update option.

Thanks
    Last edited by Eikonic; 04-02-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Axle Grease PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel i7-5960X
    Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Eikonic View Post
    I came across this thread when trying to get a bit more info on using the Bios Flashback button on the back of the board. I've used it before successfully, but that was years ago, and I've always been hesitant about flashing BIOS. Now i see this thread and Im even more hesitant as I need to do this stuff myself. How come Asus have not released a new bios for this board in almost a year? Is it because each system would need a bios specific for its chip... so bios updates are now just abandoned? I have always found this system to be flakey, and I was gathering up the nerve to finally flash to a much more recent BIOS... this is kinda scaring me again.

To clarify, the link to the new microcode says Linux. My chip is listed, and has been mentioned about, the 5960x. Im in Windows10. Im not somehow missing some fact that this is NOT meant for windows users? The post above me says win10, so im guessing its fine.

Why i started searching in the first place was to see if any special preparations were needed for the USB stick... format type, etc.... Can i just format to fat32 and then start the instructions on page1 here?

Finally, the new UBU 1.71 seems to have changed its menu options. I cant find the options for the steps in the first post. Can you update those steps so I know how to do this? I tried some 'logical' choices based on the available options, but couldnt find an update option.

Thanks
    I've updated 1) in the guide which now links to 1.69.16 of UBU. To skip the UBU stuff and flash an already patched BIOS for the Rampage V Extreme with an intel i7-5960X then get it here.

Support for consumer grade Asus motherboards slowly die off after a couple of years. It's normal. Unfortunately, BIOS 3902 which is already patched with a version of the microcode update for Spectre mitigation is left hanging in beta.

Intel made the archive available for Linux users. However, any CPU microcode patch is OS agnostic since it goes into the BIOS. The only difference is the tools and methodology in getting it there. So, yes, Win 10 is fine to use. I've been using Win 10 all along for this.

There is nothing special about the USB format. Formatting the drive to FAT32 before following the guide will work fine.

Have a happy flash.

Update: I gave in to temptation and am trying BIOS 3902 beta. Seems stable enough, just like trusty ol' 3801.
    Last edited by Axle Grease; 04-06-2019 at 07:06 AM.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast