Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Axle Grease View Post
    No, sorry. I followed the guide (again) using the links provided and the process went perfectly smoothly. There were no errors of any kind. Can you retry on another folder, or even better, another PC?
    Is there some sort of trick to getting UBU to see the microcode file that you copy from the Linux microcode archive into the UBU folder? Did you just copy it as-is into there?

Whenever I hit 'm' it doesn't do anything just asks me to enter an option again (I'm assuming that means it isn't seeing that local file in the directory).

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    And it's part entitlement. "I spent top-dollar paying the best to buy to the best, it had better work or they had better fix it (Right Now)!"
    This is a silly and naïve characterization. Your use of "entitlement" implies that Asus customers are somehow demanding special treatment. Asus ROG markets itself as a high-end, premium tier product and is certainly priced as such. The microcode is there for many platforms, that's not the issue (as evidenced by this thread) . It goes without saying that customers expect them to maintain their products in a reasonable and timely fashion. Meanwhile, a bunch of the Intel CPU microcode has been released in production for some time as you can see numerous other manufacturers have already released BIOS updates weeks ago. To me that is puzzling. Funny that you classify that as entitlement.

ROG Member Array

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    It's always blown out of proportion. "This isn't what I paid for, this is broken/buggy ****! ASUS Pay Attention And Fix My Stuff Right Now!"

Intel AVX Offset bug - ASUS fix it Right Now!
    Intel HyperThreading bug - ASUS fix it Right Now!
    Intel IME vulnerability bug - ASUS fix it Right Now!
    SPECTRE/MELTDOWN - ASUS fix it Right Now!

I think it's part media scare - "SPECTRE" and "MELTDOWN", lol scary names which suggest ghostly intruders sifting through your ever-so-precious personal data and evil criminals writing programs which will nuke your hardware. Could've as easily named them "Speculative Execution Exploit" and "Virtual Execution Exploit".

And it's part entitlement. "I spent top-dollar paying the best to buy to the best, it had better work or they had better fix it (Right Now)!"
    I bought a product that has some security/performance/stability flaws that can be easily patched by a software update. So yeah I demand that the product I paid for is working as intended. And it couldn't be that hard since all other major hardware producers are updating as well. My Asrock, Gigabyte boards and also my Thinkpads got updates a while ago. Only my Asus notebook and board still got nothing.

And it's part rush-rush-rush. It's what happens when Intel rams multiple Skylake/Kabylake/Coffeelake families out the door, 5th Gen in 2014 to 8th Gen (soon 9th Gen) in 2018 ... abandoning their tried-and-true tick/tock cycles and constantly moving forward without even bothering to address the growing pile (now half a decade!) of known but unresolved errata. With all the big mobo makers (including ASUS) struggling to keep on top of every new chipset and processor release - along with their own growing piles of known but unresolved errata, just patching things ad-hoc when needed to keep ahead on the newest products, very little time to spare towards fixing all the "old stuff".
    4th generation i7-4770 06/2013
    5th generation i7-5775C 06/2015 -> only 2 desktop cpus with Iris Pro graphics
    6th generation i7-6770 09/2015
    7th generation i7-7700 01/2017
    8th generation i7-8700 10/2017

Beside the 8th gen as reaction on ryzen and the brodwell chimera they haven't rushed anything in the last years.

I am reminded of the old GPU races during ~5 years of 28nm TSMC ... an endless stream of "new" products with only trivial performance increases over half a decade, always pushing the latest-and-greatest stuff out the door and always leaving last-season's "legacy" stuff buried under problems. ASUS had some good moments and some bad moments but consistently fared somewhat poorly overall ... just like MSI, EVGA, ASRock, Gigabyte, and all the others.
    Geforce 600 series GK104 03/2012
    Geforce 900 series GM200 03/2015

Beside some 950/960 OEM cards they haven't sold an endless stream of 28nm cards, especially not for 5 years.

Well I'm not really convinced you know what you're talking about.
    Last edited by impertinent; 03-22-2018 at 03:27 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Axle Grease PC Specs
    Axle Grease PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage V Extreme w/ BIOS 3801
    ProcessorIntel i7-5960X
    Memory (part number)F4-3000C15Q-16GRR
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G
    MonitorAsus ROG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1Corsair MP510 1.92TB (NVMe)
    Storage #22 X Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro Series H110
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 900D
    Power SupplyAntec HCP-1300 Platinum
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB with Cherry MX Silent switches
    Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
    Headset Kington HyperX Revolver S
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine HD6
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterLinksys WRT1900ACS
    Accessory #1 HTC Vive (1st gen)

Quote Originally Posted by mlippold View Post
    Is there some sort of trick to getting UBU to see the microcode file that you copy from the Linux microcode archive into the UBU folder? Did you just copy it as-is into there?

Whenever I hit 'm' it doesn't do anything just asks me to enter an option again (I'm assuming that means it isn't seeing that local file in the directory).
    There's no file type UBU.BAT looks for. Normally entering 'm' invokes a dialog-box from which the user selects the microcode file. Something on your PC is preventing the dialog-box from opening. I tried running UBU in a command prompt and then a powershell with admin privileges and then user privileges. It works with all combinations.

Patching the BIOS image also works in Windows safe-mode. That might be your best bet.
    Last edited by Axle Grease; 03-23-2018 at 08:09 AM.
    "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown

New ROGer Array

There's no file type UBU.BAT looks for. Normally entering 'm' invokes a dialog-box from which the user selects the microcode file. Something on your PC is preventing the dialog-box from opening. I tried running UBU in a command prompt and then a powershell with admin privileges and then user privileges. It works with all combinations.

Patching the BIOS image also works in Windows safe-mode. That might be your best bet.
    Thank you, safe mode did the trick.

ROG Member Array

Hello, a question, these instructions to modify the BIOS, works for an ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1? I remain attentive to your help. Thank you

Axle Grease PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel i7-5960X
    Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianMan View Post
    Hello, a question, these instructions to modify the BIOS, works for an ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1? I remain attentive to your help. Thank you
    Your motherboard has an Aptio IV BIOS. According to the "Win-Raid" forum the version of MMTools linked in the guide "is usable with many Aptio IV BIOSes (not all of them)." All I can say is that I tried UBU with the latest ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 BIOS image (2702) and a microcode update for a CPU the board is compatible with. It produced no errors, but I just don't have a z97 mobo to patch in order to give you a definitive "Yes, the flash was successful" or "not successful".
    "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown

ROG Member Array

Your motherboard has an Aptio IV BIOS. According to the "Win-Raid" forum the version of MMTools linked in the guide "is usable with many Aptio IV BIOSes (not all of them)." All I can say is that I tried UBU with the latest ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 BIOS image (2702) and a microcode update for a CPU the board is compatible with. It produced no errors, but I just don't have a z97 mobo to patch in order to give you a definitive "Yes, the flash was successful" or "not successful".
    Thank you for answering my question, because I tell you that I made the process and apparently it is correctly patched, but in some parts I get these notices in red that says NO, and I do not understand what you mean? if it is an error in patching or something. Could you explain this to me?

Attached capture

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CP1.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	72570

ROG Member Array

Question

After patching the BIOS with the new microcode, and at the moment of flashing the BIOS with the ASUS Software, I get this error:

"The model of the bios image does not match the ROM memory of the installed bios"

What could have gone wrong? I compared the weight of both files, the BIOS with Patch and without Patch and they weigh exactly the same, but I do not understand why this error is due?

Axle Grease PC Specs
    ProcessorIntel i7-5960X
    Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
    OS Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianMan View Post
    Thank you for answering my question, because I tell you that I made the process and apparently it is correctly patched, but in some parts I get these notices in red that says NO, and I do not understand what you mean? if it is an error in patching or something. Could you explain this to me?

Attached capture

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CP1.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	72570

Sorry, I meant that UBU ran per normal. It found no missing files, nor hung due to having an mmtool version that is incompatible with the Aptio BIOS version. Revision 24 ( Date 2018-01-11) refers to the microcode update version for your CPU. "Last" column identifies if the microcode update is the latest one UBU recognises. The entry in the chart with Platform ID 32, revision 7, date 2013-01-11 refers to file in /ubu/modules/ which is an older microcode update (in a different format).

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast