cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C6H Ryzen 1700x cooling with Cryorig H7

legoman
Level 7
At stock on my 1700x with a Cryorig H7, I max at 74C for hours at near 100% on all threads (video encoding with Handbrake). That just seems really high to me, and doesn't allow for any OC. I've added a second fan to the H7, a QF120 Performance, which has 83CFM max, compared to the 49CFM on the stock fan. I have the stock pushing air into the cooler and the Performance pulling (exhaust), with them oriented to the rear fan. This added fan makes much more noise, but with zero difference in cooling. The stock fan is running at >1600RPM and the Performance is >2000RPM at full load. This is in an Antec P100 case with twin Phanteks PWM 140s in the front and a Phanteks PWM 120 in the back, if that matters.

Using Arctic 5 and the "pea" method, I've reseated the cooler three times now, cleaning the cooler base and CPU each time, with no difference in temps. The only thing I noticed the last time I pulled the cooler to add the fan is that the base seems to have a texture to it, i.e. not smooth. And there were some possible visual blemishes as well, which appear smoother, but tactically my calloused fingers couldn't tell. Texture seems like a bad thing here, unless that's maybe to increase surface area or something.

Anyone else using a Cyrorig H7? I'm probably going to contact them, but thought I'd ask here first.

TIA
4 REPLIES 4

sfenson
Level 7
i'm getting 32 idle, 64 load on c6h + 1700 non-x using cryorig paste.
gonna try kryonaut with hope to lower it further.

edit: mounted using am4 holes (ordered the backplate).

Hmmm...could the backplate make a difference? I used the one that came with the C6H, since this was one of the few (only?) board that would be able to use the H7 cooler (and others) without needing to wait for the mfg to send an AM4 backplate. Also, the Cryorig backplate is plastic, while the C6H's is metal...

forgot to mention that the temps are at stock, and also used pea method.
you can order the bracket yourself, you dont have to wait for cryorig. it costs like 2 bucks.

another data point:

above was with bios 1701, sense mi skew auto, sense mi offset auto.
with bios 3502, skew enabled, offset 272 i get under 50deg celsius under load (prime95 29.3 small ffts, still cryorig paste).
go figure.