cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG X HERO cold start PC power on then shut down after 3 second then power on

Level 7
Specs:
CPU: Intel 8700k
MB: Asus ROG X Hero
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16S-16GVK

I OCed the CPU to 4.6 GHZ with XMP profile.

I always disconnect the power cord from the wall socket when I power off the pc. But the next morning when I power on the pc from cold start, I always have a wire problem, when I press the start button, the computer start up (fan, spinning, motherboard light on), then shut off and then start up into bios, and computer works normally with no error of unexpected shut down.

I just want to know is this normal? I have another computer 6700k + ASUS VIII Hero, which doesn’t have this problem.
How can I fix this?

Thanks very much for your help.
22 REPLIES 22

XIIIIX
Level 7
5308771 wrote:
Specs:
CPU: Intel 8700k
MB: Asus ROG X Hero
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3200C16S-16GVK

I OCed the CPU to 4.6 GHZ with XMP profile.

I always disconnect the power cord from the wall socket when I power off the pc. But the next morning when I power on the pc from cold start, I always have a wire problem, when I press the start button, the computer start up (fan, spinning, motherboard light on), then shut off and then start up into bios, and computer works normally with no error of unexpected shut down.

I just want to know is this normal? I have another computer 6700k + ASUS VIII Hero, which doesn’t have this problem.
How can I fix this?

Sounds like you have a Corsair AX1200i and the "power-loss " protection in bios enabled.
For some reason it `s a combo that gave me a lot of problems when taking off the power completely :cool:
Disabling in bios helps, but not cures it completely.
Sometime`s the "protection/self-test" build in the Corsair AX plays up .
XII

XIIIIX wrote:
Sounds like you have a Corsair AX1200i and the "power-loss " protection in bios enabled.
For some reason it `s a combo that gave me a lot of problems when taking off the power completely :cool:
Disabling in bios helps, but not cures it completely.
Sometime`s the "protection/self-test" build in the Corsair AX plays up .

Hi,

I have the Seasonic G750 PSU. Do you know where is the "power-loss " protection in bios?

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
Same here in Evga. has being like these since ever. and more oc is on. on stock values does not happens. i stop seeing these on those scenarios. I see these as check . even make a self test on ram slots since check each xmp profile getting mount. these is how i see it do not worry about it. SInce the day I add a battery backup and current protection I stop power down the psu. Unless there is a huge thunderstorms then i turn off complete the power on the system
Learn, Play Enjoy!

Itzycharles wrote:
Same here in Evga. has being like these since ever. and more oc is on. on stock values does not happens. i stop seeing these on those scenarios. I see these as check . even make a self test on ram slots since check each xmp profile getting mount. these is how i see it do not worry about it. SInce the day I add a battery backup and current protection I stop power down the psu. Unless there is a huge thunderstorms then i turn off complete the power on the system

Do you think this is the problem of PSU?

I suspect this is the problem of motherboard, as i use the same ram and pus with the 7700k and rog Z270 motherboard, which do not have this problem.

I sold them to my friend and just got the 8700k and ASUS X Hero.

This is power on, shut down then power on is quite annoying. Hope someone can provide a fix.

Praz
Level 13
5308771 wrote:

I just want to know is this normal?

Hello

Completely normal. The controllers need a double restart to fully initialize when booting after power has been removed.

Praz wrote:
Hello

Completely normal. The controllers need a double restart to fully initialize when booting after power has been removed.

Hi, Thanks. But how come my 6700k doesn't behave like this. WHINFIELD only

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Different platform/architecture.

Praz wrote:
Hello

Different platform/architecture.

So there is no way to eliminate the double boot problem? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

5308771 wrote:
So there is no way to eliminate the double boot problem? Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Hello 5308771,

my fellow Overclockers did already mention it, but let me also assure you that your "problem" is rather a sweet safety/longevity feature of premium power units. Not always triggered. But your bios config does seem to do the trick.
I myself have a Corsair 1000W power unit from 2010 with a Rampage III Formula /i7950.
Guess what? I have the same feature as you ! On OC it will trigger because waking up a motherboard is anything but gentle to the hardware.
The double boot helps with longevity a lot. I ran my rig from 2010 until two weeks ago @ 4Ghrz. Jupp since 2010 !

My Idea was to wait until the rig dies but that`s not going to happen i descided.
So now i have a X Hero Wifi AC with a 8700K/Fortess FT02/7 year old Noktua ND-H15, running on extremely low voltage/temps for 5 Ghrz.

And a very very old, very capable Asus Board to sell...

So enjoy this feature long after people who bought a new rig @ the same time, but did use inferior products, see their hardware crisp up.

Kind Regards

Carlyle