cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram compatibility issue

sg27216
Level 7
Found this weird issue with the following combination.

Motherboard: Strix X299E
RAM: Trident Z 4*8GB 3200Mhz (16-18-18-38 @1.35v)
CPU: i7 7820x

Unsure if cpu is related to this, but pc freezes after enabling xmp (even in bios).

I understand that XMP is part of overclocking and is not a guaranteed function. However i have tested different RAM on the same motherboard and cpu, XMP worked (its at a lower speed and different timing cause of the ram availability). Opened a brand new motherboard, cpu and ram as mentioned above, the same issue was recreated (should have ruled out the chance of faulty parts).

Wondering if we are able to get an bios update that fixes this issue, or an eta on a fix.

Thanks in advance
3 REPLIES 3

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Memory kits aren't all one and the same, unfortunately. It depends on a multitude of things including the amount of guardband put in place by the memory vendor. It's likely if the system is passing POST stress tests and freezing in the UEFI/OS, that the kit can be dialed in without too much trouble. Can you confirm the part number of the kit just for sake of clarity?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Sorry for the late reply.
I have tested this XMP issue on 3 different kits, all brand new. Same issue occured.
And the RAM is currently in use, is it required to verify the issue?

sg27216 wrote:
Sorry for the late reply.
I have tested this XMP issue on 3 different kits, all brand new. Same issue occured.
And the RAM is currently in use, is it required to verify the issue?

It will help to see what platform the kit is qualified for, yes. Were all three kits the same part number? These things can be CPU specific, unfortunately. If you can confirm the above we'll move forward from there.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090