cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix x299 e-gaming XMP Problem!

SharPPP
Level 7
Hello everyone
today I assembled a new build to a dear friend of mine and I'll list the components:

Mobo: Asus strix x299 e-gaming
Ram: G skill F4-3000C14D-16GTZR
Procio: i7 7820x
Aio: Corsair H100i
PSU: Seasonic Prime 650 Platinum
SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250gb

Everything works wonderfully, temp between 24 and 26 in idle, SSD bench 2990 in reading and 1450 in writing, except when I go to set the XMP and I go to apply this the PC reboots as normal but then the monitor remains in stendby and it does not go, the pc is on but it does not go, I have to switch off the power button several times. After 2-3 attempts, the PC starts and in the initial loading screen an error appears that the system is unstable and if you need to switch off the button reset the settings when the system was stable. Once I get back to the bios I set the default settings and the pc works wonders (without active xmp). Tomorrow I wanted to run memtest and stress test to see if it highlights problems.

What do you say?

Thank you in advance
20 REPLIES 20

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
The system is failing to pass memory training, hence the no POST. Can I ask why you opted for a 2 DIMM kit?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
The system is failing to pass memory training, hence the no POST. Can I ask why you opted for a 2 DIMM kit?

My friend opted for a 2 DIMM. But the problem is because need the quad channel?

Another thing, in the top of the mobo i have connected the 8pin for the power but i haven't conneted the other 4pin to extra power. Can be a problem?

SharPPP wrote:
My friend opted for a 2 DIMM. But the problem is because need the quad channel?

Another thing, in the top of the mobo i have connected the 8pin for the power but i haven't conneted the other 4pin to extra power. Can be a problem?

Quad channel is not needed, no. Just best to make use of the platforms memory bandwidth with 4 DIMM.

If you have the extra 4 pin available you can connect it. It won't solve your problem here, though. Can you try setting a manual VCCSA voltage between 1.00 and 1.1v see if this helps the system post. Also, be sure that the XMP profile is applying the desired DRAM voltage (1.35v).

Silent Scone wrote:
Quad channel is not needed, no. Just best to make use of the platforms memory bandwidth with 4 DIMM.

If you have the extra 4 pin available you can connect it. It won't solve your problem here, though. Can you try setting a manual VCCSA voltage between 1.00 and 1.1v see if this helps the system post. Also, be sure that the XMP profile is applying the desired DRAM voltage (1.35v).

Maybe better to change the ram to another?

SharPPP wrote:
Maybe better to change the ram to another?

That's up to you. Tuning the memory may be needed with any kit. Opting for a quad channel kit validated for the platform is worthwhile, though. These HEDT platforms are all about the memory bandwidth.

Silent Scone wrote:
That's up to you. Tuning the memory may be needed with any kit. Opting for a quad channel kit validated for the platform is worthwhile, though. These HEDT platforms are all about the memory bandwidth.

Hello i want to update the situation. My friend have buy G.Skill F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR (validated kit). The problem is the same, system freeze when start to boot after the rog logo. I Try to adjust the voltage SA and IO, but the system freeze with the XMP up. Im not expert on voltages. So i ask your help.

Spec:
CPU: 7820x
Mobo:Asus strix x299 e-gaming
Ram: G.Skill F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR
VGA: Asus Strix 1080
PSU: Seasonic Prime Platinum 650
SSD: 960 Evo 250gb M.2

@Raja@ASUS

Thanks 1000 to all

Here the system put 1.36v but the ram are 1.35. It's correct this?

I just wanted to chime and share that I also have the same problem- system won't boot when running XMP memory- I've tried manually entering settings, increasing voltage, etc. I've tried three different kits- all on the QVL list, all to no avail (Gskill 4200mhz, GSkill, 3200mhz and Corsair 3600MHZ. ) I finally was able to get the 3200mhz kit to boot using the XMP profile by running MemOK!. Unfortunately, I got the same error on my next cold boot (CODE AF, Detect Memory.)

I've been in touch with Asus, they want me re-flash bios, try this, try that, change the CPU (They really think I have an extra 2066 pin CPU lying around??!??)

I went so far as disassembling the PC to see if something might be causing a short somewhere. Nothing. Same results. Really disapointed with Asus and their response, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having this issue. Anyone else have any suggestions as to how to resolve this issue? (Memory works fine- the kit I've kept, and the only one that I've been able to get to boot at rated speed is the GSkill 3200mhz, which works perfectly on my X99 board,)

SharPPP
Level 7
Update: When i turn on first time the pc the bios was 0402, i thinks it was one of the first mobo.

Someone can help we? It's worth to try to send the mobo to RMA?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
1) You can try up to 1.05v on VCCSA and 1.05-1.1v on VCCIO.

2) The difference in DRAM voltage is normal, yes.

3) Sometimes the older builds are better for certain kits. You can try using USB Flashback to go back to a build that was stable for you.