cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RGB Monoblock won't light up

Bartacus82
Level 7
Hello all 🙂

I've just built myself a new rig. I'm using the Asus Rampage VI Extreme mobo (bios version 1004). I've fitted an EK RGB monoblock (clear version) to it. I've installed the latest Aura software (version 1.05.28)

Unable to get the monoblock to light up..........................................................
Now the mobo aura lights work just dandy no problems there at all.

Monoblock wire is a 4 pin female connector although it only has 3 pins within.

I've connected the monoblock wire to the RGB header pins on the mobo. I've had no luck at seeing it light up. I've used both RGB header pins on the board. Connected female pin connector front & back ways when original position did not work. In my tinkering I actually seen the block light very briefly for a few seconds before going off & never lighting again. I guess that tells me the block does work. I've found no settings to help me in Aura or in bios. Just the simple options to turn off/on in different power states.

I'm at a loss what to try next. Could it be a bios bug, or aura software issues. Should I be seeing an option within the aura software for cpu/monoblock or something. The only thing seen at the top is "Motherboard icon" & next to it "Add strip icon" No features within have made a difference.

Anybody got experience with this board & it's RGB capabilities ? help would be very much appreciated 😄
14 REPLIES 14

AkaNe0
Level 10
Bartacus82 wrote:
Hello all 🙂

I've just built myself a new rig. I'm using the Asus Rampage VI Extreme mobo (bios version 1004). I've fitted an EK RGB monoblock (clear version) to it. I've installed the latest Aura software (version 1.05.28)

Unable to get the monoblock to light up..........................................................
Now the mobo aura lights work just dandy no problems there at all.

Monoblock wire is a 4 pin female connector although it only has 3 pins within.

I've connected the monoblock wire to the RGB header pins on the mobo. I've had no luck at seeing it light up. I've used both RGB header pins on the board. Connected female pin connector front & back ways when original position did not work. In my tinkering I actually seen the block light very briefly for a few seconds before going off & never lighting again. I guess that tells me the block does work. I've found no settings to help me in Aura or in bios. Just the simple options to turn off/on in different power states.

I'm at a loss what to try next. Could it be a bios bug, or aura software issues. Should I be seeing an option within the aura software for cpu/monoblock or something. The only thing seen at the top is "Motherboard icon" & next to it "Add strip icon" No features within have made a difference.

Anybody got experience with this board & it's RGB capabilities ? help would be very much appreciated 😄

Which EK monoblock do you have? The EK-FB ASUS ROG R6E RGB Monoblock - Nickel?

If so, check out the manual instructions from EK. You need to connect the cable to the Add Header located on the motherboard (3 pins), and make sure the arrow point toward the 5V. Here is what EK state:

Plug the 4-pin connector from Monoblock D-RGB LED strip to the ADD HEADER on the motherboard. Please ensure that the arrow indicated on the connector is plugged into the +5V line as indicated on your motherboard. Failure to do so will damage your motherboard or LED strip.

Your monoblock should then light on and it will be detected in AURA under Add strip.
And don't forget, Keep pushing it !

Thanks for replying AkaNe@Asus

Yes I am using the EK-FB ASUS ROG R6E RGB Monoblock - Nickel version.
I've tried using the add header with the mono cable (arrow end) connecting to the 5v pin. Still no light up. Maybe I have to accept the fact, I will not be having bright flashy lights on my monoblock 😞

I suppose when building a new rig, there's always going to be one or two things not working as it should. At least the computer is functioning healthy & the mobo lights work a charm.

Bartacus82 wrote:
Thanks for replying AkaNe@Asus

Yes I am using the EK-FB ASUS ROG R6E RGB Monoblock - Nickel version.
I've tried using the add header with the mono cable (arrow end) connecting to the 5v pin. Still no light up. Maybe I have to accept the fact, I will not be having bright flashy lights on my monoblock 😞

I suppose when building a new rig, there's always going to be one or two things not working as it should. At least the computer is functioning healthy & the mobo lights work a charm.

I know that if plugged incorrectly at first (with LED strip it already happened), then the LED can be damage.

What you can try is to plug another addressable strip or fan to that header and see if it works.

You can also try to seek support to EK or the shop where you bought the monoblock.

Thanks for the advice.
I've made a ticket with EK support to see if they can help. If nothing comes of it, I may have to just make peace with it & move on. Possibly revisit in the future when I carry out VGA upgrade or something. It's time to get on with software installations.

BTW, You know the internal mobo speaker. Is it a big deal if they don't beep at all. I used a brand new speaker that came with my thermaltake 900 case. I've never had a beep since I finished this build. It's connected properly into the correct pins. I've switched positon sides to make sure it's facing the correct way. Also disabled fast boot in bios in case that played a factor. I was wondering is it a defected speaker or maybe my motherboard just doesn't do the beep beep song period. Although in the manual it mentioned beep codes.

Bartacus82 wrote:
Thanks for the advice.
I've made a ticket with EK support to see if they can help. If nothing comes of it, I may have to just make peace with it & move on. Possibly revisit in the future when I carry out VGA upgrade or something. It's time to get on with software installations.

BTW, You know the internal mobo speaker. Is it a big deal if they don't beep at all. I used a brand new speaker that came with my thermaltake 900 case. I've never had a beep since I finished this build. It's connected properly into the correct pins. I've switched positon sides to make sure it's facing the correct way. Also disabled fast boot in bios in case that played a factor. I was wondering is it a defected speaker or maybe my motherboard just doesn't do the beep beep song period. Although in the manual it mentioned beep codes.

Let us know how it goes.

For your beeping issue, you can report it in the Rampage VI section to get some advice.

Bartacus82 wrote:
Thanks for the advice.

Did they change the strips to addressable?
Mine is 12V with 4 wires that plugs into one of the RGB headers and works just fine.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Mine is 12V with 4 wires that plugs into one of the RGB headers and works just fine.

The EK-FB R6E is the addressable type designed for the Rampage boards specifically.. As those boards support addressable LED's..

JustinThyme wrote:

After checking with EK, they now add both RGB strips into the box - so the user can change from the 5V to the 12V if their motherboard do not have addressable header. As this monoblock can fit both Rampage VI Extreme and Rampage VI Apex, the Extreme does have the addressable header, but not the APEX.

In each case, make sure to check which RGB strip you have. If it's 3 cables, then it's for the addressable header - plug the arrow on the 5v. If it's 12v, then it's for the 12v RGB header.

For the ones that have the 12v RGB strips only, and own a Rampage VI Extreme, you can contact EK support to get a 5V strip.

Bartacus82, you can ask EK to get a new 5V RGB strip to replace yours that might have been damaged.

Sorry for such late reply.

Been very busy with a whole host of troubles. Regarding EK, they gave me some advice which did not fix the problem. So it turns out the mostly likely cause is damaged components. They sent me 2 free RGB strips for the block through the post. Not exactly sure how to replace them in the block myself as it's all new to me. I'm kind of put off by the fact, I'm guessing I would have to remove the block & possibly drain the loop system. So I'll put that on hold until the next time I carry out hardware changes or loop maintenance.

My current task at the moment is trying to get Deus Ex Human Revolution DC to launch in steam. 2 weeks trying & still can't get it to work even after bouncing emails back & forth with square enix support.