cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone tried cooling in a beer or cake cooler ?

Jon-Zed
Level 7
New to ROG ASUS as well as over-clocking and not much of a gamer - mostly a lot of RAW photo editing is my scene. Living in Thailand and just bought a new desktop Win 10 Pro system with an i7-7700K which gets a bit hot! It peaks over 85-90°C quite a bit when photo editing. I wasn't aware of the 7700K hot issue when I made my purchase and local availability was something of a limitation regarding choice as well as cost. I was wondering whether it would be ridiculous or feasible to put the whole case in a table-top beer or cake cooler 0-10°C - my guess is that a cheap non-ventilated cabinet might produce a lot of condensation but a mid-price one might work? Current ambient temp is 30°C and it will get close to 40°C in a few weeks which is why I'd like to cool things down. Handy to have a cold drink within arm's length too! I'm not sure that I'm up for delidding a brand new processor quite yet. Grateful for any advice and or warnings against the idea. My case is a Deepcool Dukase Liquid with their Captain 240 water cooler and I've added a couple of CoolerMaster JetFlo 120 fans to the front panel as blowers.
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
Hi Jon-Zed

Welcome to the ROG forum !

If you're running the cpu core/cache voltage on auto, your cpu is likely getting overvolted. Set the cpu core/cache voltage to manual, enter 1.15v - 1.20v in the "CPU Core Voltage Override" and see how much this drops temps.

Once you find what's stable you can switch to adaptive mode, enter 1.15v - 1.20v in the "Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage Override", adaptive mode will throttle the cpu frequency and voltage at idle. Be sure the windows power plan is set to balanced.

I have the Maximus IX Code and 7700k, I delidded the 7700k with the Rockit 88 tool and got an average of -15c.

Those types of coolers you mention (cake, beer) are damp like a refrigerator, I don't know if I'd want to expose my pc parts to dampness.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Jon-Zed

Welcome to the ROG forum !

If you're running the cpu core/cache voltage on auto, your cpu is likely getting overvolted. Set the cpu core/cache voltage to manual, enter 1.15v - 1.20v in the "CPU Core Voltage Override" and see how much this drops temps.

Once you find what's stable you can switch to adaptive mode, enter 1.15v - 1.20v in the "Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage Override", adaptive mode will throttle the cpu frequency and voltage at idle. Be sure the windows power plan is set to balanced.

I have the Maximus IX Code and 7700k, I delidded the 7700k with the Rockit 88 tool and got an average of -15c.

Those types of coolers you mention (cake, beer) are damp like a refrigerator, I don't know if I'd want to expose my pc parts to dampness.

Thanks for those details - unfortunately have not found a source for any delid kit here in Thailand and international post - Thai Customs - Thai post is a recipe for disaster. I will have a go changing voltages manually and see how that goes. I think the fridge idea was a bad one - so won't go that route. Thanks again

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Anything that works like a refrigerator would burn out in a matter of hours or days...

They are designed to cool things down and then keep that temperature by occasionally running. If you put a constant source of heat in a fridge it will work itself to death pretty pronto...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Anything that works like a refrigerator would burn out in a matter of hours or days...

They are designed to cool things down and then keep that temperature by occasionally running. If you put a constant source of heat in a fridge it will work itself to death pretty pronto...

Thanks - clearly not such a good idea after all! Thanks for your reply.

Jon-Zed wrote:
Thanks - clearly not such a good idea after all! Thanks for your reply.

It's great that you asked though. Even if something doesn't work out you are still learning. And way better that you learn from other people's experience before you spend any money. 😄
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Menthol
Level 14
I think if you research this (google) you'll find that a small fridge won't cool your PC. Add up watt output of PC, CPU, GPU, could use 300 to 600 watts
Delidding the CPU is a better option but even that if your ambient temps are 30 to 40 degrees heat is always going to be an issue, an air conditioner to keep ambient temperature down would be better for you and your PC, if you can direct air from air conditioner to radiator intake on PC will help some

Menthol wrote:
I think if you research this (google) you'll find that a small fridge won't cool your PC. Add up watt output of PC, CPU, GPU, could use 300 to 600 watts
Delidding the CPU is a better option but even that if your ambient temps are 30 to 40 degrees heat is always going to be an issue, an air conditioner to keep ambient temperature down would be better for you and your PC, if you can direct air from air conditioner to radiator intake on PC will help some

Thanks for your reply. Our village has a poor mains electricity supply - voltage goes up and down like a yoyo and we have had 5x Samsung airconditioners burn out in the last year - a known problem with that brand apparently - they are fine with a stable supply but don't cope with over and under volt supply. My computers run off a stabilised UPS and my desk is right next to one air conditioner so I guess you are right and that will be the best I can do. I may try delidding if I can pick up a tool on my next visit to UK and will also look at how much actual performance gain I get from overclocking by 11% - maybe need to run at stock for the hot season. Thanks again for your reply.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
There is, of course, phase change cooling...which is basically the fridge idea but beefed up for this kind of use...but it is expensive and not so easy to set up...and can go spectacularly wrong...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
There is, of course, phase change cooling...which is basically the fridge idea but beefed up for this kind of use...but it is expensive and not so easy to set up...and can go spectacularly wrong...

Yes, I have read a few articles about that and saw a demo in Bangkok - definitely a bit OTT for me - for now I'm going to do a bit more testing and then try to lower my voltages. Will aim to pick up a delid kit in UK during the summer and try that this autumn if my temps prove to be too high in April May. Thanks for your reply.