cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog Strix, battery and temps questions

electricjug
Level 7
Hi everyone, i've got some questions about battery and CPU temperatures of my Strix ( GL503V ).
1) considering is a gaming laptop and i use it a lot play like 3/4 maybe 5 hours a day and so it has always charger plugged in, i'm worryed about battery life.
Does the current keeps going in the battery even if it is fully charged? Sometimes when play Fortnite if it is plugged in and fully charged battery percentage goes down is it normal?
2) Cpu temps, when playing Fortnite again (damn game) cpu temps goes up to 70° if i lock fps to 120 if i go with unlimited fps it touches 75° and i when cooling base otherwise it would go up to 85°. My question is, is 70° or 75° too high or the cpu can stand it with no problems?
thank you in advance and sorry for my bad english.
(don't play fortnite 😄 )
3 REPLIES 3

Nevortic
Level 8
These temperatures are a dream. My cpu comes to 92 ° is a year that I have the PC I confirm that there are no problems. the cpu has mechanisms to protect against overheating

Lord_Obsidian
Level 9
electricjug wrote:
Hi everyone, i've got some questions about battery and CPU temperatures of my Strix ( GL503V ).
1) considering is a gaming laptop and i use it a lot play like 3/4 maybe 5 hours a day and so it has always charger plugged in, i'm worryed about battery life.
Does the current keeps going in the battery even if it is fully charged? Sometimes when play Fortnite if it is plugged in and fully charged battery percentage goes down is it normal?
2) Cpu temps, when playing Fortnite again (damn game) cpu temps goes up to 70° if i lock fps to 120 if i go with unlimited fps it touches 75° and i when cooling base otherwise it would go up to 85°. My question is, is 70° or 75° too high or the cpu can stand it with no problems?
thank you in advance and sorry for my bad english.
(don't play fortnite 😄 )

1) As I know, working on power adapter is not harmful for battery. Most modern notebooks restrict charge level at 95-99% if laptop is plugged in, so battery doesn't stay fully charged at 100%. About discharging - it's normal if your laptop is VS, i.e. equipped with GTX 1070. It's too powerful for laptops (not only ASUS laptops), and most of them have hybrid power plan: if adapter is not capable in providing enough power (i.e. it is not 230W+), then the the battery is recruited. Users of gl702VS complain the same issue here.
If you got VM or VD laptop then it is a bit strange.
2) 75°C for laptop processors is great. Even 80-85°C is affordable (according to ASUS techsupport, for my core i5-7300HQ normal operating temps are up to 85°C). Laptop processors are designed for higher temps: they have different socket - BGA, which makes them irreplaceable, but allows them to have Tjunction (automatic shutdown temperature) = 100°C (desktops' Tjunction analogue - Tcase - is around 65°C). Dangerous temps starts at constant 90°C+.

Lord Obsidian wrote:
1) As I know, working on power adapter is not harmful for battery. Most modern notebooks restrict charge level at 95-99% if laptop is plugged in, so battery doesn't stay fully charged at 100%. About discharging - it's normal if your laptop is VS, i.e. equipped with GTX 1070. It's too powerful for laptops (not only ASUS laptops), and most of them have hybrid power plan: if adapter is not capable in providing enough power (i.e. it is not 230W+), then the the battery is recruited. Users of gl702VS complain the same issue here.
If you got VM or VD laptop then it is a bit strange.
2) 75°C for laptop processors is great. Even 80-85°C is affordable (according to ASUS techsupport, for my core i5-7300HQ normal operating temps are up to 85°C). Laptop processors are designed for higher temps: they have different socket - BGA, which makes them irreplaceable, but allows them to have Tjunction (automatic shutdown temperature) = 100°C (desktops' Tjunction analogue - Tcase - is around 65°C). Dangerous temps starts at constant 90°C+.

Thank you a lot for the exhaustive answer! Have a nice day 😄