cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4X16 or 8X8 RAM for 64GB.?

dantescrak05
Level 7
best regard.

I am assembling my pc and I am in the part of buying Ram memories, I want to mount a block of 64GB in total, then I get a question and it is whether to choose a kit of 4X16 or 8X8?

I would like to know which of the two kits would be more stable for my configuration? which is a X99-PRO / USB 3.1 motherboard and an Intel Core i7-5960X Extreme Edition CPU

The memories that I intend to buy are the F4-3200C14Q-64GTZSW (4X16) and the F4-3200C14Q2-64GTZSW (8X8)

(4X16) https://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14q-64gtzsw

(8X8) https://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14q2-64gtzsw

I hope you can help me!!
14 REPLIES 14

Menthol
Level 14
I can't speak to the 4x16 kit but the 8x8 kit works very well on X99 at 3200mhz

offthewall69
Level 7
Unless you're concerned about aesthetics, save yourself a few bucks and go with 4X16. Bench tests have shown there is no performance gain, and if you want to add more RAM down the line you can. More sticks mean more components can fail or become unstable. 4X16 is the easy choice today.

offthewall69 wrote:
if you want to add more RAM down the line you can.

This is unfortunately almost entirely untrue.

Mixing kits of even the "same" spec will almost invariably lead to headaches.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

Then I recommend buying the 8x8 kit?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

If the goal is to overclock, I would agree. At stock speeds mixing kits with the same specs does not generally cause issues. My response to OP was based on his desire to have a stable rig; I'm sure you would agree that overclocking reduces stability. I've personally seen a 5960K drive two DDR4 3000 4X16 kits for a total of 128Gb of RAM on an ASUS board at XMP settings. Still going strong 1 year later...

offthewall69 wrote:
If the goal is to overclock, I would agree. At stock speeds mixing kits with the same specs does not generally cause issues. My response to OP was based on his desire to have a stable rig; I'm sure you would agree that overclocking reduces stability. I've personally seen a 5960K drive two DDR4 3000 4X16 kits for a total of 128Gb of RAM on an ASUS board at XMP settings. Still going strong 1 year later...

I think I do not even know what to choose hahahaha, I want a stable platform that does not take me blue screen, but I can do some OC to increase performance because 3D programs such as Zbrush pulls a lot of ram having a lot of polygons, between faster is the ram faster processing the data and I released ram, so I wanted a ram with a latency a little low but I had the option to do OC and it would be nice if I could upgrade to 128 GB later

JustinThyme
Level 13
8x8 kit 100% of the time. While bench test may show no performance gain at stock clocks there is a huge difference in OC ability. 8GB sticks have always beat 16GB chips hands down.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
8x8 kit 100% of the time. While bench test may show no performance gain at stock clocks there is a huge difference in OC ability. 8GB sticks have always beat 16GB chips hands down.

Greetings.

the case is that my cpu is an intel core 5960x Haswell E and I do not think I can enjoy either a very high oc, offthewall69 made me come to reason in relation to a 4X16 Kit because maybe in the future I will buy a cpu and Motherboard with more capacity of Ram to go up to about 128 GB, and so not have to discard these modules.

jpmboy
Level 9
dantescrak05 wrote:
best regard.

I am assembling my pc and I am in the part of buying Ram memories, I want to mount a block of 64GB in total, then I get a question and it is whether to choose a kit of 4X16 or 8X8?

I would like to know which of the two kits would be more stable for my configuration? which is a X99-PRO / USB 3.1 motherboard and an Intel Core i7-5960X Extreme Edition CPU

The memories that I intend to buy are the F4-3200C14Q-64GTZSW (4X16) and the F4-3200C14Q2-64GTZSW (8X8)

(4X16) https://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14q-64gtzsw

(8X8) https://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14q2-64gtzsw

I hope you can help me!!

this somewhat depends on the MB you are using. That 8x8GB G.Skill kit is running on my R5E10/6950X rig at 3400c13-14-13-29-2T @ 1.45V - has been at that speed and timings since the platform launched. 1T would not hold stable to GSAT. 4x16GB gives you room to expand, but in general, high density, DS ram is more difficult to tune and , at least in my hands, never OCs (or lowers timings) as well as 8GB SS sticks. That same kit ran 3200c12-12-12 on my R5E/5960X.