cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC); After XMP-Load and OC CPU always Q-Code 78

Flightsimmer
Level 7
Hello everybody,

Im sorry for my bad english. I use the video from "der8auer" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoUtA7DKXhU) for overclocking.

Maybe in advance: I checked my memory with memtest86. The whole procedure has several hours (4 passes). No errors were found.

The memory clocks at my board standard with 2133Mhz. Now I have loaded as in the video, the XMP profile and then started the PC. In UEFI, the RAM is now properly managed with 3600Mhz. The computer starts too and I thus get to the Windows interface. However, as soon as I shut down the system completely and reboot the computer later, it will hang up with the error code 78 at boot time. Back in UEFI I get the memory again only with 2133Mhz displayed.

"Der8auer" advises not to activate multicore enhancement when loading the XMP profile. That's what I did. However, if I enable the XMP profile when resetting it, the problem (error 78) with memory will no longer occur. Even after the computer was dead, it boots normally and the RAM runs accordingly.

The second step, as you can see in the video, is to overclock my i7-8700k to 5.00Ghz. I take the settings exactly as described in the video. Now I get again at boot the error code 78 and the Dilema starts again.

By the way: My system runs stable without XMP and CPU OC (no Q-Code 78).
6 REPLIES 6

Menthol
Level 14
Flightsimmer,
Every system is a little different so you will need to perform some minor tuning and testing
There have been several bios updates so Der8auer's recommendations are a general rule and may need tuning, including enabling Multi core enhancement because the rule for enable/disable was changed in a bios update.
VCCIO and VCSSA voltage's may need adjustments to stabilize your XMP settings, for 4x8 3600 I would start around 1.25 for each, if that doesn't do it a little more or a little less may do it.
What are you using to test stability?
Realbench?
Intel XTU?
Games?
HCI Memtest?

Hello Menthol,

thank you for your quick reply. I will follow your advice and continue to report. Under what description can I find the setting for VCSSA voltage in UEFI?

Hello Menthol,

Unfortunately, I can only now report on the results of my test. I attached a screenshot showing my current settings based on your hints. The error code has not occurred yet. The problem actually seems to have been related to the tension.

Now for my next problem. In the video linked by me, the author "der8auer" has now overclocked the CPU to 5.0 GHz after correctly setting the main memory. After my RAM runs perfectly now, I also overclocked the processor exactly according to the settings of the video. Now the error code 78 occurs again after the computer was de-energized. Do I have to modify the settings of the "der8auer" as synonymous with the memory and the processor?

Many thanks for the help.

Hello to each other,

does nobody have an idea?

I have now reset all settings and would like to start again. Could you guide me to overclock the CPU without error codes?

Menthol
Level 14
Flightsimmer,
Sorry I don't understand you completely but more than likely you will have to modify settings a little from others video's, every CPU, memory kit and motherboard can react a little differently

There are also OC presets in the bios, I believe there is a 5.0 preset you could try, or you can just manually set the multiplier to desired speed and leave voltages on auto and see what vcore is automatically set to then start adjusting from there, same with VCCIO and VCSSA, usually they will be a little higher voltage than needed