cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash any / most asus motherboard bios in dos with usb tutorial - intel amd roll back

RaffieKol
Level 10
I AM NOT RESPONSABLE IN ANYWAY IF THIS DAMAGES YOUR MOTHERBOARD THIS IS FOR PEOPLE THAT DONT HAVE FLASHBACK
AND HAVE NO OTHER WAY TO ROLL BACK THEIR BIOS I REMOVED THIS TUTORIAL BUT DECIDED TO PUT IT BACK FOR NOW AFTER ALOT OF PMs

How to flash you Asus Mother Board using a USB

This is for people that want to rollback their bios but EZ Flash wont let them

Example: you are on bios 1001 then you up date to bios 3401 but you decide you want to go back to 1001 because your system was more stable on 1001 but bios 3401 wont let you go back using the flash tools in the bios or windows.

This method uses a tool called AFUDOS.exe to flash your bios in Dos

1st thing to consider make sure u have "American Megatrends Bios"
- To check this in Windows 10 or 8.1 just right-click on the Start button and then choose Run.
- In the Run window or search box, type the following exactly as shown: msinfo32 and push enter or ok
Your System info should pop up and you can see your Bios

2nd thing to consider - THIS IS EASY it may look hard or like alot of steps but its not
Now that you confirmed you have a "American Megatrends Bios" and that its not Brain surgery we can proceed

SOFTWARE and Files that you will need

DOWNLOAD LINK - https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpsaqxahhtccgls/Flash%20Bios%20USB.zip?dl=0
Files needed (included in download above)

- Rufus Format
- AFUDOS.exe (this is software used to flash your bios)
- The files I have included in the "Copy to USB" folder (this is in the download I provide)
- UEFITool.exe (this is to convert your .CAP files to .ROM files)
- And of course your Bios File (this you will need to get from your Motherboards support page)

All of the software and files needed are included in the download link

----- CSM MUST BE ENABLED IN YOUR BIOS IN ORDER FOR THIS TO WORK -----
----- IF YOU HAVE IT DISABLED YOU CAN DISABLE IT AGAIN AFTER YOU FLASH YOUR BIOS -----
----- MAKE SURE YOUR .ROM FILE IS NAMED bios.rom OR IT WONT WORK -----
----- YOU CAN KEEP ON USING THIS USB STICK FOR YOUR MOTHERBOARD OVER AND OVER AGAIN AS LONG AS YOU NAME THE BIOS FILE bios.rom WHEN USING IT WITH THIS USB -----

I was going to write a tutorial but I thought it would be easier to do a video...
68 REPLIES 68

Deltazor
Level 7
Hi but AFUDOS where does it come from? on the site of asus I do not find it, I saw in the video that the flash was made from a vbios 2202 to 2202, I wanted to know if with this procedure you only remove the block to go back, I have if you write all the regions of the bios as it happens with a HW programmer
Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience

Deltazor wrote:
Hi but AFUDOS where does it come from? on the site of asus I do not find it, I saw in the video that the flash was made from a vbios 2202 to 2202, I wanted to know if with this procedure you only remove the block to go back, I have if you write all the regions of the bios as it happens with a HW programmer
Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience

AFUDOS is from American Megatrends they create and manufactures hardware and software for Asus boards
In the video I show flashing from 2202 to 2202 just as a example but yes you can roll back your bios with this method I rolled back from 3703 to 2202 on my Hero VIII z170 with this method. Even though my Hero has Flashback I find this easier to do. I also rolled back a Strix B350-f from 3401 to 1001 and that board doesn't have flashback so this was my only option.

RaffieKol wrote:
AFUDOS is from American Megatrends they create and manufactures hardware and software for Asus boards
In the video I show flashing from 2202 to 2202 just as a example but yes you can roll back your bios with this method I rolled back from 3703 to 2202 on my Hero VIII z170 with this method. Even though my Hero has Flashback I find this easier to do. I also rolled back a Strix B350-f from 3401 to 1001 and that board doesn't have flashback so this was my only option.

Hello I saw that they are more recent than afudos 3.07.01 but with this I could not even back up the bios, he tells me to use aptio 5 but for dos I do not find it normal that the new version does not go ???

Has anybody else tried this method?

thelastfirstone wrote:
Has anybody else tried this method?

It will work with your 370

maybe ill try it.. Does the message "selected file is not a proper bios!" come up when i try to flash back because asus has locked it from the last bios flash from flashing back to a previous older bios?

thelastfirstone wrote:
maybe ill try it.. Does the message "selected file is not a proper bios!" come up when i try to flash back because asus has locked it from the last bios flash from flashing back to a previous older bios?

Im not sure why Asus does that or if they actually do it to prevent you from going back? but that is the reason I made this tutorial,

I had a Strix b350-f gaming and I flashed 3401 didnt like the performance so I tried to use EZ Flash
to go back but I got that message "selected file is not a proper bios!" (i get it on a few Asus boards)
So I remembered about flashing in dos and did a few searches about Asus
I seen that there wasn't a clear guide up on how to roll back in Dos so I made a tutorial (plus I like to help people weird I know lol)

So yes it is normal to get that message nothing is wrong with your board
but you wont be able to rollback unless you have Flashback (not all boards have it) or use "this" Dos flash method that should work with most Asus boards.

If any of you have used this method and it worked for you PLEASE say so and list your Motherboard

Thanks

Helped me your tutorial. I thought I would have to wait for asus to correct the performance errors in 3803 of the b350-f. I followed everything as you indicated and I managed to return to 3401, which until now for me, is the best bios there is.

As I said above, and to start the list or confirm again.

It works at 100 with the Strix B350-F Gaming.

downgrade from 3803 to 3401:D:D:o:o