cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About Fan Tuning in BIOS vs. AI Suite

digital_chaos
Level 8
I just built a new system with the Maximus X Code board and I'm always paranoid about temperature on new builds. I re-used my same case and fans and just upgraded the motherboard, CPU, memory and CPU cooler.

I noticed that once in Windows, I would very frequently hear the fans ramp up and down as I did even simple tasks like opening a web browser. I checked my temps and they looked fine. (Under 35c).

With my old Asus motherboard, my system never ramped at all and if it did, it must have been very subtle so this was weird to me. I checked the BIOS and saw it had a Q Fan section which my old board did not. I set it to Standard and the fans still revved up and down. When you are used to a consistent fan hum, hearing it go up and down was concerning and irritating.

I decided to run the fan tuning wizard in the Bios to see if that would help. I have 2 200mm fan intakes, 2 200mm fans on top, a 140mm exhaust and a CPU cooler with 2 140mm fans. Plenty of cooling, lots of air flow. After the test was done, it set my CPU fans to 100% speed which was really loud. I decided to set a custom fan curve and a delay on the ramping up and down. It helped but it would still noticeably ramp up at times.

I ended up downloading the AI Suite 3 and running that version of the fan tuning. Now, my computer is almost virtually silent and it's a bit scary. All of the fans are spinning but at around 550pms and I can barely hear if the computer is even on. The temperature reported by AI Suite for the CPU is showing as low as 23c and hits around 32-35 with heavy activity. No more revving at all even when playing games.

I'm curious as to why the BIOS tuning is completely different from AI Suite? My system seems fine but with it being so quiet and why it's different from the BIOS tuning perplexes me. I also wonder how accurate the temperature reading is from AI Suite. I'd love for it to truly be 23-32c but I have a hard time believing the number despite all of my fans since they are running so quietly. HWMonitor shows higher core and package temperatures but still not bad. I'm not sure which one to believe.

Anyone have any thoughts and if this is normal?
6 REPLIES 6

R5Eandme
Level 12
I experience the same symptoms on an R5E. Using FanXpert in AI Suite III (v1.01.01), my three top fans are controlled by VRM temps and they will occasionally blast full rpm for about 2 secs then ramp down, under no computing load. In AI Suite I configured a slow rpm ramp-up but it is ignored. After the Windows 10 patch for Meltdown and Spectre, AI ASuite stopped functioning so I uninstalled it and have the same fan profiles now using BIOS. Same thing happens: the fans will occasionally blast up and down for no apparent reason. It doesn't happen often enough for me to be concerned, and it is better than fans stopping all together:cool:. But it is a curious thing.

I'm not experiencing the problem with FanXpert/AI Suite. With the fans tuned through AI Suite, my PC is virtually silent and I don't hear any fan revving.

If I set my fan profile to Standard in the BIOS/Q Fan Control, I get fan revving. If I tune my fans through the BIOS/Q Fan Control, it sets my CPU fan to 100%.

I would think that the BIOS would be more accurate as far as tuning. I'm curious why it would set the CPU fan to 100% and be all over the place while FanXpert/AI Suite virtually silences my PC and sets the fan to run very low with no revving.

Are you using the latest BIOS version? If not, it might help to reflash to newer version. I never have had fans go to 100% unless they are set in BIOS to DC Mode instead PWM Mode.

Well, I use only UEFI / Q-FAN Manual settings at the moment.

First of all you have to do the Q-Fan Tuning in UEFI. It calibrates the fan speeds according the PWM or DC percentage.

Afterwards you draw the fanspeed curve also below the usual 60%. If it is not low enough, just tune the fans again and while the fans getting slower you have to accelerate the fans by your fingers carefully. So Q-Fan gets trapped and allows lower settings than the spin up voltage.

BUT I didn't solved the fan speed ramp up for 2 seconds so far. It seems that the settings "Spin up time" and "Spin down time" don't really function. I can choose any time settings and log the fan speeds with "Almico Speedfan" and it shows that the fans always accelerate immedialtey if some load occurs.

Also in the AI Suite the spin up and down settings don't work for me.

Maybe any moderator can answer here!?!?! Will there be a solution in future UEFI updates?

PS: If you really cannot bear the fanspeed ramp up, maybe the program "Argusmonitor" can help you. It has the option for time delay which works.

EtoEgor
Level 7
Same problem Hero XI 0805, wtf asus?!?!?

EtoEgor wrote:
Same problem Hero XI 0805, wtf asus?!?!?

If you are manually setting up your fan curves in the UEFI, make sure you a properly selecting PWM versus DC for 4 or 3 pin fans. Also, make sure to run Fan Tuning in the UEFI before setting the fans.