cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix scar edition GL703VM hot and loud ?

oSChakal
Level 7
Evening folks, last week I purchased this laptop;

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834234746&cm_re=asus_scar-_-34-234-746-_-Produ...

After receiving it, to my surprise, I noticed that on top of producing as much heat as a jet, it also made the same sound!

Jokes aside, the laptop is very hot and loud.

I did unvervolt the cpu and the gpu and while it helped, the temps are still high.

I contacted Asus and according to them everything is fine and it fits in their standards.

At this point, I'm ready to simply void the warranty and remove and replace the toothpaste they use.

I'd like to know if anyone has any picture of the inside of laptop? I removed the backplate yesterday and found that the the copper heatsink have some kind of black backplate.

Anyway, if anybody has any images/how to guide, I will be grateful!
26 REPLIES 26

thebiggboss180
Level 9
how much high its ?

if it reaches the 95 c (the throttle limit) so its high

anything lower than that is normal..

my gl502vm i7-7700hq was reaching to the 95 and some times to 100 c and i changed the thermal paste to arctic mx4 and arctic thermal pad and now with gaming max limit i saw it reaches is 89
so if u like that or lower u fine

I have the same laptop, and the same problem with it. Ithink it's just fault of this laptop. I can't find any guide how to fix it. But today i try to update the bios and see, maybe it's gonna help.

skejcikk1 wrote:
I have the same laptop, and the same problem with it. Ithink it's just fault of this laptop. I can't find any guide how to fix it. But today i try to update the bios and see, maybe it's gonna help.

It won't. I have the latest, which is 306 I believe and it didn't change anything.

Try to game without the bottom cover. If this helps, try to drill some small holes for the fans ( search the forums about drilling holes for the gl702vs and check the awesome results 😉 )

thebiggboss180 wrote:
how much high its ?

if it reaches the 95 c (the throttle limit) so its high

anything lower than that is normal..

my gl502vm i7-7700hq was reaching to the 95 and some times to 100 c and i changed the thermal paste to arctic mx4 and arctic thermal pad and now with gaming max limit i saw it reaches is 89
so if u like that or lower u fine

Temps are between 85 and 90. While it may be acceptable according to Asus, it's unacceptable for the consumer.

I mean, if we(the consumer) pay over 2k for a laptop oriented toward gaming, I expect A) To be able to game more than an hour before my fingers burn and B) to have the proper setup to cool/maintain longevity of said laptop.

I may sound entitled, but when you buy a product, you expect it to perform to minimum standards.

Imagine buying a sport cart, paying premium for it only for your engine to get so hot when driving to the grocery store that you have to turn it off before continuing.

oSChakal wrote:
Temps are between 85 and 90. While it may be acceptable according to Asus, it's unacceptable for the consumer.

I mean, if we(the consumer) pay over 2k for a laptop oriented toward gaming, I expect A) To be able to game more than an hour before my fingers burn and B) to have the proper setup to cool/maintain longevity of said laptop.

I may sound entitled, but when you buy a product, you expect it to perform to minimum standards.

Imagine buying a sport cart, paying premium for it only for your engine to get so hot when driving to the grocery store that you have to turn it off before continuing.

u dont have to turn it off to cool it down , it can handle it self and u dont have to expect i7-7700hq to be cooled easly in a laptop .. these temps are normal for this cpu a cross other trademarks too.. ur hopes are just high .. even intel sayes these temps are normal until 100c.

thebiggboss180 wrote:
u dont have to turn it off to cool it down , it can handle it self and u dont have to expect i7-7700hq to be cooled easly in a laptop .. these temps are normal for this cpu a cross other trademarks too.. ur hopes are just high .. even intel sayes these temps are normal until 100c.

My girlfriend has a laptop with a 1050ti and a 7700hq. It's a MSI laptop and let me assure you, Asus could take some notes about cooling.

Two(2) heatpipes is not enough.

While playing the exact same game on the exact same settings, my GF laptop barely break the 70 degree mark. Yet, mine is 10-15 higher? Come on.

Repasted with Gelid, 15 degrees cooler, I can't believe Asus sells *gaming laptop* with such a poor job done.

skejcikk101
Level 7
Yesterday i clean my gl703vm with compressed air and temps go down about 15°C. Today i gonna change the thermal paste on CPU and GPU and I will see if it will help.

Wysłane z mojego Redmi Pro przy użyciu Tapatalka