Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by OnePiece@ASUS View Post
    Hi all

The technical support has been doing the confirmation of this phenomenon. Sorry for the trouble.
    I think its very easy for Asus engineers to implement manual fan control to GL503 series. Please do so, if your customers are valuable to you. We wait for it asap.

New ROGer Array

I set maximum processor state to 95%, the temp of cpu reduces from 90 ~ 91 to 75 ~ 81 when I play Call of duty ww2, Wolfenstein II The New Colossus and battlefield 1

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)

GL703 is a "thin" form factor, ~25mm overall, only <20mm on the bottom clamshell. There's just not enough bulk and thickness to mount cooling, no choice but to use thin blower exhaust fans or to throttle the heat down. Peak 45W from CPU and 120W from GPU, plus whatever watts are produced by SSDs and chipset and all the reset.

I'm guessing the MSI laptop compared to it above happens to be a thicker beast with enough bulk for thicker pipes and fins and fans.
    "All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    GL703 is a "thin" form factor, ~25mm overall, only <20mm on the bottom clamshell. There's just not enough bulk and thickness to mount cooling, no choice but to use thin blower exhaust fans or to throttle the heat down. Peak 45W from CPU and 120W from GPU, plus whatever watts are produced by SSDs and chipset and all the reset.

I'm guessing the MSI laptop compared to it above happens to be a thicker beast with enough bulk for thicker pipes and fins and fans.
    The problem here is not that the laptop doesn't have space. The issue is the fan control is not working properly and there is no manual option to adjust it. I don't see anyone complaining they have constant 80C temps. The laptop IS able to keep itself cool, but the fans are not adjusting properly for some reason.

Here's an example of what I mean. This is during medicore gaming - the temps are similiar but the fan speed is ramping up for no reason. Even after the game is off, they stay at high speed very long after the CPU and GPU are cooled off (~55C).

Screenshots:
    https://imgur.com/a/68feV

Similiar temps but fans are twice as fast (and loud) . Why?!
    Last edited by Re7r0; 02-27-2018 at 12:50 PM.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Re7r0 View Post
    The problem here is not that the laptop doesn't have space. The issue is the fan control is not working properly and there is no manual option to adjust it. I don't see anyone complaining they have constant 80C temps. The laptop IS able to keep itself cool, but the fans are not adjusting properly for some reason.

Here's an example of what I mean. This is during medicore gaming - the temps are similiar but the fan speed is ramping up for no reason. Even after the game is off, they stay at high speed very long after the CPU and GPU are cooled off (~55C).

Screenshots:
    https://imgur.com/a/68feV

Similiar temps but fans are twice as fast (and loud) . Why?!
    How can you see the fan speed? it doesn't show for me

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by darksider6023 View Post
    How can you see the fan speed? it doesn't show for me
    Those are screenshots from my phone using the RoG app (which connects using WiFi to the RoG on windows). For some reason there is fan speed there and not in the RoG center for windows. Logic? none...

p.s. Not sure how accurate that app is but from the sound of the fans, it looks to be correct.

ROG Member Array

Just an update - I finally sent the laptop for service (it kept thermalthrottling constantly after less than a year) and they told me they replaced the "thermal module". I'm guessing that's the heatpipe and probably a repaste to go along with it. Temps are staying around high 70s now when gaming which is much better than before. We'll see how long this lasts ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3