Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenith Extreme Raid NVME + Raid SATA

snakesnake
Level 7
Hi,

I'm building my new PC and gets stuck with this problem
Is it possible to have both NVME RAID & SATA RAID enabled at the same time ?

I have no problems making sata raid, or nvme raid, but when I enable both NVME raid and SATA raid at the same time, computer always starts immediately into UEFI, and can't boot Windows or install media
10 REPLIES 10

snakesnake
Level 7
snakesnake wrote:
Hi,

I'm building my new PC and gets stuck with this problem
Is it possible to have both NVME RAID & SATA RAID enabled at the same time ?

I have no problems making sata raid, or nvme raid, but when I enable both NVME raid and SATA raid at the same time, computer always starts immediately into UEFI, and can't boot Windows or install media

I finally installed only with nvme raid, both nvme raid & sata raid at the same time don't work
I had very bad figures

3 x 960 pro raid0

1 x 960 pro system disk

So i spent the week trying to find where the problem was, and tried different biosses
Here are the figures i get with 0801 beta bios (older)

what's wrong with 0902 bios ? anyone with an nvme raid with 0902 bios can confirm ?
Of course last drivers, win10 up to date

I have successfully configured both SATA (x2) and NVME arrays on my Zenith Extreme with a 1950x. Only issue I had was that I had to completely disable the compatibility support in the UEFI so that it was a true UEFI environment. My speeds are as expected on each RAID0 array. Also using 0902 UEFI.

PsyberEMT wrote:
I have successfully configured both SATA (x2) and NVME arrays on my Zenith Extreme with a 1950x. Only issue I had was that I had to completely disable the compatibility support in the UEFI so that it was a true UEFI environment. My speeds are as expected on each RAID0 array. Also using 0902 UEFI.

Hi, thanks you give me hope

Did you create your arrays before installing Windows ?
I think I tried CSM off but it didn't boot
I'll try next week end

Can you post your settings ?

snakesnake wrote:
Hi, thanks you give me hope

Did you create your arrays before installing Windows ?
I think I tried CSM off but it didn't boot
I'll try next week end

Can you post your settings ?

I created the NVME RAID 0 with the Samsung 950 Pros before Windows and used that as the OS partition. I later built the Samsung 850 Pro SATA RAID 0 as a storage drive, then later than that built the second SATA RAID 0 out of the WD SSDs to use as a drive for Hyper-V.

I was never able to get the NVME RAID built with CSM enabled. Spent an hour on the phone with a Tier 2 (or 3?) tech from ASUS. The document that he and I both had said to leave CSM enabled but set the individual parameters to UEFI only. I never could see the NVME drives on the DIMM.2 in UEFI that way. As soon as I disabled CSM it worked.

If you installed Windows with CSM enabled and installed Windows to a MBR formatted drive vs a GPT formatted drive it will never boot without CSM as that is a legacy config. You'd need to disable CSM, potentially rebuild your arrays and then install Windows fresh as it would then format the volumes as GPT.

Hope that helps!

PsyberEMT wrote:
I created the NVME RAID 0 with the Samsung 950 Pros before Windows and used that as the OS partition. I later built the Samsung 850 Pro SATA RAID 0 as a storage drive, then later than that built the second SATA RAID 0 out of the WD SSDs to use as a drive for Hyper-V.

I was never able to get the NVME RAID built with CSM enabled. Spent an hour on the phone with a Tier 2 (or 3?) tech from ASUS. The document that he and I both had said to leave CSM enabled but set the individual parameters to UEFI only. I never could see the NVME drives on the DIMM.2 in UEFI that way. As soon as I disabled CSM it worked.

If you installed Windows with CSM enabled and installed Windows to a MBR formatted drive vs a GPT formatted drive it will never boot without CSM as that is a legacy config. You'd need to disable CSM, potentially rebuild your arrays and then install Windows fresh as it would then format the volumes as GPT.

Hope that helps!

That's funny how parameters don't work the same way for everyone
I have CSM enable and all options to UEFI only 🙂 and i was able to build my nvme raid, and install Windows in uefi mode
I'll give it a try with csm disable. I'll delete all my arrays and try to activate both raid nvme and sata, and try to install Windows again
If you can post an export of your full settings (you can do that in uefi) so I can check what parameters are different from mine

Thanks

After 3 days of testing, i give up

I suceeded in using both nvme raid & sata raid by only activating nvme raid first, install Windows, then activate sata raid
it worked but as soon as i go to uefi and change any parameter, i can't boot anymore
Computer directly goes into uefi and doen't boot anymore !

good news is i have now good performance of my raid array

snakesnake wrote:
I finally installed only with nvme raid, both nvme raid & sata raid at the same time don't work
I had very bad figures

3 x 960 pro raid0

1 x 960 pro system disk

So i spent the week trying to find where the problem was, and tried different biosses
Here are the figures i get with 0801 beta bios (older)

what's wrong with 0902 bios ? anyone with an nvme raid with 0902 bios can confirm ?
Of course last drivers, win10 up to date

What windows version are you running ( win10 1709?)

also I think you have to balance out the nvme drivers between the two cpu chip lanes etc as threadripper is basically 2 CPU's in one. at least thats what I figured from linus tech tips video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzzavO5a4OQ

since you have 3 i think you will always have it unbalanced.

JpArizona wrote:
What windows version are you running ( win10 1709?)

also I think you have to balance out the nvme drivers between the two cpu chip lanes etc as threadripper is basically 2 CPU's in one. at least thats what I figured from linus tech tips video on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzzavO5a4OQ

since you have 3 i think you will always have it unbalanced.

Yes win 10 1709

I saw this video
I have 1 on the motherboad, and 3 in a hyper m.2 card
I plan to buy a 4th
I'll see the performance like that first, and if needed I'll buy another hyper card

snakesnake wrote:
Yes win 10 1709

I saw this video
I have 1 on the motherboad, and 3 in a hyper m.2 card
I plan to buy a 4th
I'll see the performance like that first, and if needed I'll buy another hyper card

First where did you get the Hyper Card, every time I try and get it Amazon or the like is sold out. Second, I saw a Linus Tech video where he had two NVMe on the M2 and two on the hyper card. The reason begin is the engineers at AMD told him the bus could get saturated so splitting it up like that maximized performance.