cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rampage VI Apex BIOS/UEFI Problem

andrei_opp
Level 7
Hello!

Did flash the Apex X299 from 0702 to 1102 (latest). After some days of very light use, basically only installs of the OS, as I powered on the PC it showed a message: Bios updating, do not power off.. So, it DECIDED ALL BY ITSELF that it needed to revert to the original UEFI the motherboard came with.. :mad:
What could have triggered this? Previous shutdown was normal, so even not an excuse for an F1 message "Enter BIOS to recover.."
Am I missing something? Can some experienced cast some light into this? Has anybody been into this situation before?
4 REPLIES 4

Menthol
Level 14
I have not updated my board to this bios version but sometimes when there is microcode or firmware updates included in the bios file it switches to the second bios to update it. Check to see which bios you are now booting to, is it the same one as you wer'e on or is it the other bios?

Menthol wrote:
I have not updated my board to this bios version but sometimes when there is microcode or firmware updates included in the bios file it switches to the second bios to update it. Check to see which bios you are now booting to, is it the same one as you wer'e on or is it the other bios?

Hello!

How do we check which bios the board is booting? I know the Apex has 2, but since I've updated to 1102, shouldn't it boot only on this one?
If not, is there a possibility to update also the second bios? Anyway, on the 0702 which the board forced automatically (in fact it did update it - there was a message "Updating bios do not restart.." ), the board kept restarting and entering bios. Out of mabey 5 or 6 restarts it managed to load the OS once. After that, another 5-6 times in a row it entered in bios. The system was not OC-ed. Bios defaults.. Any clues?
Thanks.

jpmboy
Level 9
I flashed to 1102 about a week ago, and did a comparo of performance vs 1003. (posted elsewhere) So far, 1102 has been running fine on the VI Apex/7980XE here using a per core OC 2x4.6, 16x4.5 adaptive voltage on each core. What the OP experienced looks like a bios recovery function... is the board's battery good? Was the system run at stock or with an OC when this happened?
When I flashed from 1003 to 1102, the rig did boot to the same screen, and did a restart (uneventfully). 🙂

jpmboy wrote:
I flashed to 1102 about a week ago, and did a comparo of performance vs 1003. (posted elsewhere) So far, 1102 has been running fine on the VI Apex/7980XE here using a per core OC 2x4.6, 16x4.5 adaptive voltage on each core. What the OP experienced looks like a bios recovery function... is the board's battery good? Was the system run at stock or with an OC when this happened?
When I flashed from 1003 to 1102, the rig did boot to the same screen, and did a restart (uneventfully). 🙂

Hello!

The board was not OC-ed.. System is only 5 days "old" so with these bios adventures no time to tinker around. I've bought the board with 0702 bios. Did you get yours with 1003? What are your OC settings for the 4,5 OC? Anyway, my system gives me headaches at standard settings, so I did not even dream of OC. In Win10 it crashes instantly when I try to work. W7 is somewhat more stable. 7980XE+Corsair Vengeance LPX3000, 4x16 GB, Samsung 960 Evo.
Cheers!