cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Strix GTX 1080Ti OC - need some help please (stuttering)

luckerr
Level 7
Hello guys,

I don't know what to do anymore to be honest. And maybe someone from you can help me.

This is my GPU - ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING

This is my setup - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yqmf6X

I am having some kind of stuttering in games. Most likely in AC:Origins, BF 1 and so on. CS:GO, WoW, Overwatch runs pretty great. Performance overall is great and same with the reviews (Cinebench R15, 3D Mark etc..)

This is how it looks like - https://imgur.com/a/PHnwX. Every here and there is a huge spike. But it's not all the time. I can run the benchmark 3x without stuttering and another time there are massive spikes.

What I've already tried..
1) drivers 390.65, 388.71, 388.43
2) updated my bios
3) Win10 1607 verison / 1907 = all clean just the game and drivers
4) power management - performance mode
5) another mobo
6) another RAM; XMP off/on too
7) HDtune - all disks are OK; installing on SSD did not help
😎 temps are super great (both cpu max 60-65; gpu max 70-72C)
9) gaming/xbox stuff turned off in Win10
10) tried another monitor; ; gsync on/off does not matter too
11) Latency mon seems OK too

I don't know what to try next anymore.. I've been testing for a few weeks and did not find ANYTHING! CPU is not spiking to 100% and GPU is always 100% during the AC:O Benchmark. I can also hear coil whine a bit (it stops for a second during the stutters - but I guess it's normal?)

So If there is anyone with similar setup/same gpu and test for example AC:O benchmark for me.. would be great. Everyone with some help who experienced this already.. please also let me know.

Thanks a lot
Lukas

EDIT: no OC at all.. everything is on stock
26 REPLIES 26

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Never a nice situation to be in when wanting to simply knuckle down and play. Have you tried capping the framerate? Try 75 for instance. Also you can try setting Windows to High Performance power plan (wasn't clear in your post if you meant NVIDIA's PM options).

Also, yes, it's normal that the card won't have audible resonance if the game stutters.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Never a nice situation to be in when wanting to simply knuckle down and play. Have you tried capping the framerate? Try 75 for instance. Also you can try setting Windows to High Performance power plan (wasn't clear in your post if you meant NVIDIA's PM options).

Also, yes, it's normal that the card won't have audible resonance if the game stutters.

Yeye I meant High Performance power plan in Windows. Anyway caping the frames did not help either. And that's not the solution for all the games you know. That's why I did not buy 240hz monitor 😕

luckerr wrote:
Yeye I meant High Performance power plan in Windows. Anyway caping the frames did not help either. And that's not the solution for all the games you know. That's why I did not buy 240hz monitor 😕

I suggested this plainly because you're running a 240Hz monitor and at 1080p. You're also not overclocking the CPU, so in quite a few scenarios with that GPU you're going to be CPU limited by not doing so. I'm guessing you didn't purchase a 1080Ti only to be CPU bottlnecked, either.

Try setting the NV control panel Power Management to maximum performance, too.

Silent Scone wrote:
I suggested this plainly because you're running a 240Hz monitor and at 1080p. You're also not overclocking the CPU, so in quite a few scenarios with that GPU you're going to be CPU limited by not doing so. I'm guessing you didn't purchase a 1080Ti only to be CPU bottlnecked, either.

Try setting the NV control panel Power Management to maximum performance, too.

I got your point. But after checking some youtube videos with exact build (stock speed)... there is no issue you know. That's why I am confused.. and even more confused that it's not happening all the time? It's like every 2nd or 3rd banchmark in AC:O. Same as the stuttering in other games.. it's not constant.

https://imgur.com/A5RFpE1

https://imgur.com/Vi1bRqu

https://imgur.com/FBvPYKL - frametime spikes to 50-80ms

Do you think that maybe you can find something useful in these screenshots? This was taken while doing the benchmark. And my CPU is not even running 100% you know (to blame Denuvo).

luckerr wrote:
I got your point. But after checking some youtube videos with exact build (stock speed)... there is no issue you know. That's why I am confused.. and even more confused that it's not happening all the time? It's like every 2nd or 3rd banchmark in AC:O. Same as the stuttering in other games.. it's not constant.

https://imgur.com/A5RFpE1

https://imgur.com/Vi1bRqu

https://imgur.com/FBvPYKL - frametime spikes to 50-80ms

Do you think that maybe you can find something useful in these screenshots? This was taken while doing the benchmark. And my CPU is not even running 100% you know (to blame Denuvo).

A CPU will never hit 100% in games as they usually utilise only two or four cores. What was each core's utilisation. If you have MSI AB or similar installed you should be able to alt+tab out and see if it hit 100% on any of the cores. Just one hitting 100% would be a CPU bottleneck.

Someone also mentioned you haven't overlcocked it, is that correct? If so it's possible you're only running on 3.7GHz since it will hit the TDP for more than 90s (i think is the spec) and downclock it to 3.7GHz. If you're attempting to run it at a high FPS you need all the clock speed you can squeeze out of it.

Quozzo wrote:
A CPU will never hit 100% in games as they usually utilise only two or four cores. What was each core's utilisation. If you have MSI AB or similar installed you should be able to alt+tab out and see if it hit 100% on any of the cores. Just one hitting 100% would be a CPU bottleneck.

Someone also mentioned you haven't overlcocked it, is that correct? If so it's possible you're only running on 3.7GHz since it will hit the TDP for more than 90s (i think is the spec) and downclock it to 3.7GHz. If you're attempting to run it at a high FPS you need all the clock speed you can squeeze out of it.

I did not do any OC yet.. because I wanted to make sure that everything is running well before that. And I am 100% sure that CPU is working correctly 4,7 GHz 1 core.. and 4,3 GHz all 6 cores. (I've also tested it with another i7 8700k = same problem)

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
CPU utilisation doesn't necessarily need to be running 100% for there to be a limitation. That said, it was only a suggestion to see if it alleviated the problem.

Did you try setting the Power Management to Maximum Performance in NV Control Panel as suggested? It could be a number of things, the screenshots show GPU usage taking a hit as well as VID, which could be a power limitation. Have you tried increasing the TDP through GPUTweak to 120%?

Silent Scone wrote:
CPU utilisation doesn't necessarily need to be running 100% for there to be a limitation. That said, it was only a suggestion to see if it alleviated the problem.

Did you try setting the Power Management to Maximum Performance in NV Control Panel as suggested? It could be a number of things, the screenshots show GPU usage taking a hit as well as VID, which could be a power limitation. Have you tried increasing the TDP through GPUTweak to 120%?

Maximum performance in NV did not help too. I appreciate your suggestions so much and thank you for that.. I will try everything. But my question is.. why do I have to increase TDP through GPUTweak? This GPU should be stable on stock settings right? (I am just asking) Because I did not install any utility yet regarding the tests.

luckerr wrote:
Maximum performance in NV did not help too. I appreciate your suggestions so much and thank you for that.. I will try everything. But my question is.. why do I have to increase TDP through GPUTweak? This GPU should be stable on stock settings right? (I am just asking) Because I did not install any utility yet regarding the tests.

It is stable, you're not experiencing crashes. However, you're asking it to render at a ridiculously high framerate, so it's not unusual to hit a TDP limit in these situations. Again, this is just a suggestion.