cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increased CPU and GPU Temps after updating to Bios 304 [GL553VD]

NewGuyBuy
Level 7
After updating my BIOS to 304 my average CPU temp went from 77 to 85 and my average GPU temp went from 70 to almost 80! What would cause this? I've restored all previous settings I had before (setting maximum processor state to 99%, etc).
8 REPLIES 8

bestasensual
Level 8
NewGuyBuy wrote:
After updating my BIOS to 304 my average CPU temp went from 77 to 85 and my average GPU temp went from 70 to almost 80! What would cause this? I've restored all previous settings I had before (setting maximum processor state to 99%, etc).

i don't know;
Upgrade bios to 305 in device manager:
go to firmware >> expand >> right click >> update driver >> restart >> hands up

or downgrade bios to 303

bestasensual wrote:
i don't know;
Upgrade bios to 305 in device manager:
go to firmware >> expand >> right click >> update driver >> restart >> hands up

or downgrade bios to 303

I did try that but it didn't work. Now I'm thinking something is wrong with the GPU because it seems to be the one causing the issues. I stress tested my laptop without the GPU and all temps were great. My GPU is actually hitting (and staying) at 85C! That is insane I've only had this computer for 5 months it'll be almost melted by the time my warranty is up.

I would normally open it up and reapply thermal paste, etc. but I don't want to void my warranty. Is this normal? Im thinking about giving ASUS a call but I've heard that they tell customers 90C CPU temps are normal (lol).

I've moved between 4 different versions of drivers and it has made little to no difference. Anybody have any suggestions? Thank you.

Simon942
Level 7
It helped to take the Fan out, take off the heatsink and cleaned dust away, and hair. my laptop is too 5 month.

You can also try a Air Clean Spray (Compressed Air)

Simon942 wrote:
It helped to take the Fan out, take off the heatsink and cleaned dust away, and hair. my laptop is too 5 month.

You can also try a Air Clean Spray (Compressed Air)

I'm glad that worked, that'll be my last resort though because I really don't want to void my warranty in case something goes wrong.

Lord_Obsidian
Level 9
NewGuyBuy wrote:

I have 85C on CPU and 78C on GPU out of box. ASUS techsupport told me that 85C is upper border for CPU temperature, and this seems quite reasonable for me (as I now, "melting" temps start at constant 90C +). According to specs from Nvidia max temps for gtx 1050/TI is 97C.

However, did I get it right, you got 85/80C for CPU/GPU with maximum processor state to 99%? If yes, it may be better to ask for repaste. I started to suspect, that stock thermal paste is not good: in one russian techomagazine reviewer made a repaste of gl553ve with Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad, and he then reported an absence of previously "normal" throttling (however, it seems that liquid metal for notebooks is not a good idea). Also oSChakal here at form reported that repaste of gl703vm with Gelid made a 15C difference. I want to ask a techsupport if a repaste, by my own or service center, voids warranty, because I think I'll try it.

Simon942
Level 7
I understand you 🙂

7 months of use and same problemes heres ... Asus made a bad laptop here and not want to answer , my laptop reach 89 C° , never more Asus.

Richard.p.r wrote:
7 months of use and same problemes heres ... Asus made a bad laptop here and not want to answer , my laptop reach 89 C° , never more Asus.

What do you mean? It is not a bad laptop, it is a good one, with a good heatsink and a good big fan, what's your problem?
Heat can cause many things, have you tried repaste or cleaning?