Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Welcome, @MMLM! The ASUS Laptops that display 3D on the laptop have displays that can run at 120 hz. They also have a 3D icon near the camera and typically have a 3DE in the model# and come with glasses. So I suspect the G74SX CST1-CBIL can only display 3D on an external 3D-capable monitor.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

i would honestly wait till the end of Q1 of this year and get the new gen 3 ivy bridge notebooks

AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

dstrakele+ always a trusted friend to all, advice & help..... (in case New Members were wondering.. )

CosmicCat--- also good advice -- new models seldom have unimprovements.... price ???

M... Welcome .. take your time .. worry not of language.. we apologize to you... anything..AnyThing
    you dont understand... please ask. and there are french speakers here ... enjoy...

fosert+

tdk.... hahaha... "gimped" ..... it was a deal @ the time. This sounds like a little better deal.. eh. (urs runs perfect..shhh)

SpursBob -- Welcome -- "GO FOR IT !!!" if it dont bring joy...return it ... there are others...hahaha

380 --- hahahahahhahahahhaa.... really ? Isnt that comparing StrawBerries and Garlic ??? Well...
    one Always leaves a bad taste in my mouth .
    '80...did you notice this in the ad ?? does it make you go, hmmmmmmmm???
    "The product picture may differ from the actual product. Only for your reference.
    The specifications may differ from areas. Please check with your local dealers."
    I could do 20 minutes of stand up on just these two lines.... hahahahah.
    So....this isnt what we are selling.. it might not even look like it..
    the specs may or may not be close.. hey we are not sure what will be
    in the box you buy... but.. this is exactly how much it costs..... oboy... no disrespect friend...
    But your point is well, well taken....

Lets get 380 ROG'n ... where is that at brother .. Mason right ?? Time sucks.
    and it seems so unfair....it is what it is....luck and timing....sorry this
    is so harsh for you...i hope it passes soon.c.
    Last edited by chrsplmr; 01-28-2012 at 02:20 PM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by tkd_ron View Post
    I bought my g74sx-bbk7 (i7 2630qm,8gb ram, 2 500 gb 7200rpm drives, intel centrino 6150n wireless, gtx 560m 128 bit 2gb mem, 1600x900 display ) on clearance from best buy for $1099.00 and I am very happy with the machine, although it gets knocked for being gimped, I have had no problems with it in the five months I have been using it, and after doing a clean install it runs really fast and gaming on it is excellent I think the 128bit gimped card benefits from the lower resolution of hd+ i.e. (snipped) .
    I've had the opposite reaction to my Best Buy G74sx (i7 2670qm 8GB RAM, 2 500GB drives, GTX 560m with 2GB video RAM and 1600x900 display).

While it is labeled as a gaming laptop, it's really far from it with today's games, at least mine is. Don't get me wrong... I love my laptop as it affords me the ability to move around with a computer by my side, however if the main intention is to be able to play video games with good performance and visual quality, this laptop just doesn't cut it.

When I bought it, it was a spur of the moment decission and since Best Buy is the only local store in town where I live, and this was the closest to a gaming laptop that could be bought locally, I bought it. I'm not sorry that I did, just wish it could live up to the handle of being a gaming laptop for me.

On almost all of today's modern games that I've tried on it, I've either had to lower the visual quality to what I consider to be an unacceptable level, or play with unacceptable frame rate. About the only games that run acceptably on it, are games like Minecraft or Terraria, neither of which tax most older computers anyway.

It's hardware should out best my desktop (AMD Phenom II 965 BE with 8GB system RAM and a GTX 465 Nvidia card with just 1GB of video RAM) however the desktop plays all of today's modern games on either high or ultra high settings with great FPS, which makes me a little sad considering the laptop's price when I bought it.

Anyway, I second that you should thoroughly check out every aspect of your laptop, including writing a good amount of data to the hard drives. On my laptop the 2nd 500gb hard drive was dead within 5 hours after first starting my G74sx. Thankfully I had a good experience with RMA'ing the HDD back to asus and had a new HDD in my hands in less than 3 or 4 days of them receiving the returned HDD. Other than that, there has been no physical problems with this unit which makes me happy.

So, I bought the laptop to be able to have better performance and visual quality than my desktop and use it (almost) exclusively for gaming, and use my desktop (the old faithful workhorse) as my work computer. But it turns out it's the opposite and the laptop is now almost exclusively left to work and the desktop to gaming, which makes me sad.

I know, I must sound like Cybil with 9 different personalities what with being happy and sad, but I hope that one day I'll find a real gaming laptop that can play today's games with good quality visuals and good frame rates too. I've even gone so far as to wipe the drives and fresh install Win 7 with just the absolute necessary ASUS software for the laptop to run, and while it starts into Windows 7 very fast (definitely faster than my desktop that hasn't had a refresh in close to a year now), it's still not capable of gaming with good visuals and good performance.

But hey, gaming may not be the OP's thing so what I've written may well not even apply to them, but I thought I'd temper what you may have read on this forum about how great these laptops are for gaming, because in my opinion, they're really not, however they may well be the best thing on the market in this price range. I don't really know since I've not invested the time to look further into what was available on the market in laptops for gaming, as it would just give me one more personality to sadden me.

Anyway, I hope you have better experience with your new laptop than I've had with mine (regarding gaming, not over all function, since it works good as a workhorse computer).

Oh and don't get me wrong, it's got a whole lot of niceties regardless whether it were a desktop unit or a laptop, like the lighted keyboard (love that) and the 7200rpm HDD's, and the clarity of the images on the screen to me is really fantastic amongst many other nice features. Great for work for me, not so nice for gaming.

Enjoy yours.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M M L M View Post
    I have call Nvidia for verified if I can use with my model the 3d glasses and they do not think so, they tel me to call my asus seller for verified but as you know at Staples they look on google for answer almost all your question. So I have no idea if I can buy those glasses and use them or not. any one of you have try the glasses with the G74SX-CST1-CBIL
    My G74SX-CST1-CBIL definitely does not have a 3D screen nor a 3D glasses emitter in the area of the webcam. It does have the luscious Full HD 1920x1080 LED screen which is one of the reasons I bought it on sight from Staples. However, the GTX560M does have 3D capability, so I suspect an external 3D monitor would be supported?

I was mis informed

The guy at the store, at Staples have give me wrong information, and it's to late for me to ask for refund. He showed me the 3D tv Play when I have ask to him, but that's really not the same thing. 3DTV play it's only a software if I have understand the technical support.

Can someone give me some good new's.. The only reason I have buy that computer was for that reason, be able to use the 3 d when I will need to play the game GuildWars 2.

For now I have no idea what will look's like the new Guildwars but I was thinking that If I want to be at the top with my computer, I am better to buy that one with that card instead of buying the other one that staples had. HP dv7 .

The reason I was obligated to buy at staples that was because I had by the pass one DV7 of hp and they replace the laptop by 1250$ gift card for staples. So I have try to purchase the biggest laptop at staples.

I have try the Hp Dv7 and for sure that's not the same quality of product but for my self, who do work with my computer and aslo do game alittle.. I was surprises to see the difference between both about the sound. The quality of the sound with that asus is really bad compare to Hp with beast audio.

I just hope I will not have any problem with that computer. I like one thing, it's really quiet. but for other bad point, I hate the finger pointing pad. I use usb mouse and that do not detect, and the pad still active and the box is checked for desactivate the pad when I use usb mouse.

any way I like to share and read all your story, I am kind of new with asus and for all about overclocking and all that. I read a lot this time .. it's only the first time I talk but I will try to introduce my self in my page soon.

If I have no problem for now with my configuration any tips for know if I need to upgrade or not the patch or the new version ? for now I have zero bug or problem.. I have unistall all crap and all is fine except for the pad.

MMLM

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Does your laptop have a Sentelic or a Synaptics touchpad? Look in Device Manager under "Mice and other pointing devices", then right-click on the touchpad device and choose "Properties" from the popup menu.

There are 2 options to improve the sound of the G74SX:

1) Launch Creative THX TruStudio and change the "Built-in Speakers" setting to "External Speakers". This has to be done at each boot unless you upgrade THX TruStudio to version 1.04.04.

2) If you UNinstall Creative THX TruStudio, you can then launch Realtek HD Audio Manager, go to "Speakers", select the "Sound Effects" tab, click on the "change to Graphic EQ" button and adjust the equalizer settings to improve the sound. Note the graphic equalizer and other sound effects are available only if you have uninstalled Creative THX TruStudio.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 01-28-2012 at 09:36 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

I have THX TruStudio 1.04.04 and I still have to set the speakers to External speakers upon every reboot of the laptop. Is there a newer version that you meant to say instead of 1.04.04?

question answer

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    Does your laptop have a Sentelic or a Synaptics touchpad? Look in Device Manager under "Mice and other pointing devices", then right-click on the touchpad device and choose "Properties" from the popup menu.
    as for the pointing it's the sentelic that is indicate as my pointing device.

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    There are 2 options to improve the sound of the G74SX:

1) Launch Creative THX TruStudio and change the "Built-in Speakers" setting to "External Speakers". This has to be done at each boot unless you upgrade THX TruStudio to version 1.04.04.

2) If you UNinstall Creative THX TruStudio, you can then launch Realtek HD Audio Manager, go to "Speakers", select the "Sound Effects" tab, click on the "change to Graphic EQ" button and adjust the equalizer settings to improve the sound. Note the graphic equalizer and other sound effects are available only if you have uninstalled Creative THX TruStudio.
    I have already that version 1.04.04 but what should I do... do I am better to unistall thx .. is it good or not, do that worth it.. what's the difference that software change on the quality of the sound... the quality that I talk is more about the quality of the speaker system .. that laptop does not have any subwoofer or any under speaker. That laptop as only in top ( above) I dont know how say that) the speaker are just under the screen. no subwoofer under the laptop like my other laptop. That's make hugh difference when you lissening movie or playing the game.

do that change will raise the quality of the sound ?

If you want to change that forever

Quote Originally Posted by City Builder View Post
    I have THX TruStudio 1.04.04 and I still have to set the speakers to External speakers upon every reboot of the laptop. Is there a newer version that you meant to say instead of 1.04.04?
    You only need to click on the option 'select perephical' and then choose the realtek digital output

so this way you will not have the laptop speaker available on the choice, only speaker and headset will be show..

I hope this can help !

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast