cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amateur custom loop R6E in a Thermaltake V71 TG RGB "review" w/ pics

skypine27
Level 7
For what its worth:

I recently migrated my system (see sig) from a Thermaltake Core V51 to the fairly new V71 TG RGB edition. Heres my thoughts.

THE BAD:

-Like the V51, Thermaltake is taking WIDE leeway with saying these cases will accept E-ATX mobos. While it's true the mobo will technically fit onto the preinstalled mounts, in both cases it leaves a lot to be desired. E-ATX boards are too wide by about 1", so you totally lose functionality of the 2 x rubber grommet cable pass-throughs to the right (where you would normally pass your 24 x pin mobo power cable and your HD sata cables through to the backside of the case). The right edge of the board completely covers them. With the V71, I had to take a dremel cutting tool and cut some of the useless metal "ladder work" to the right of the covered up grommets to make my own cable pass-throughs to the back.

-I never understood why Thermaltake has done this with both of their cases that I've owned (The V51 had this problem as well): There is a metal "L-shaped" bracket that is not removable (it's fused with the motherboard tray) that is designed to "press down" on the top of your PSU, I guess as added downward mounting pressure. I could see this being only slightly useful in the event you are buying a pre-made OEM PC with a Termaltake case. In the event the shippers drop or are rough with your box the, downward pressure of the metal L-bracket would help keep the PSU more securely in place than just the typical 4 x small metal screws in back that are normally used to secure it.

But with any high end mobo that has the extra 4 x pin molex power connector on the bottom to provide additional power specifically to the GPUs, that metal bracket prevents you from attaching the power cable. It completely conflicts with the molex plug and there is no way at all to connect it. What I had to do in both cases was to take my Dremel cutting wheel and physically cut off this bracket (again, its part of the mobo tray so you cant just unscrew it).

Both these issues in my mind make the V71 (and the V51 I had before it) NOT officially E-ATX compatible but for some Thermaltake insists they are.

THE GOOD:

+It's all about the glass! The thing looks great and my attached quick cell phone pics dont do the visual impressiveness justice. Personally (though this COULD go in the "THE MEH" section below) I like the "back" (ie right) side tempered glass closing door. Not because of the looks, the back of my case is a MESS but I mount that side against a wall so I dont see it. But it does provide a lot of "depth" for very easily containing a LOT of cables, fan controllers, RGB remote receivers, etc. The case already has about a full 1" of depth for cable management back there, and the glass doors on both sides do NOT close flush. They have thick rubber stoppers almost .5" thick that give you even more room because neither door closes even close to flush with the side of the case. This would NOT be good for noise if you are running high RPM fans (I went for near total silence and use the ASUS BIOS to stop all my fans except for 2 x on one of the radiators) except for high CPU temps. Again, all I can say is GLASS GLASS GLASS!!

*THE MEH:

+/-In the V51, I was able to comfortably mount all 3 x of my radiators and have them "fully fanned" on the inside. But in the V71, the top of the rear 120mm exhaust port rad conflicts with the rear of the top 360mm rad, and I had to remove a fan on the top rad to make it work. Thermaltake isnt really good in its instructions about address more than one radiator builds. They say stuff like "supports up to a 420mm rad" for the various mounting positions, but they never tell you what combinations of multiple radiators will fit. I have 3 x in this case, a 360 on top, a 420 in front, and a 120 in the rear.

+/-Its HEAVY. I'm guessing its 60lbs with my system (my setup holds 1.25 L of water)

+/- Noise. Mine is almost dead silent BUT like I said, I have the ASUS Q-Fan BIOS option set to totally stop all the fans except the 2 x thin model fans mounted on the bottom of the top rad (exhaust blowing up wards) Those are the only 2 x fans on (and theyre low RPM, 800 RPM) until my CPU hits 55 C, then the multitude of other fans start to spool up slowly. The only time any of the other fans are ever on is during gaming and then I have my desktop speakers wall-shaking loud so it doesnt matter. For movie and desktop use, its totally silent and the only noise making thing in the PC room is my 3 x 7200RPM hard drive external USB box. But if you were going to build a totally air cooled system, especially with factory cooling on Titan Xps or 1080 Tis..... noise would be an issue with this case. It doesnt have the looks of totally "open air" like the P5 or In Win exotic cases, but with the almost 3/4" gaps on both side panels and the top and front glass.... for noise purposes it may as well be an open-air case.

Conclusion: I LOVE the looks. Thermaltake (to me anyway, I know its subjective) is one of those companies than can make a really snazzy looking case without breaking the bank like an In-Win S-Frame. BUT they should REALLY make that silly L-shaped PSU pressure bracket easily removable for guys who need to connect the bottom MOBO molex power plug. And, either they should move the cable passthrough cuts out 1" to the right so people who mount E-ATX boards can actually use them or come out with a full disclaimer "If using an E-ATX mobo you will lose access to the right side cable pass through grommets".

PICS: top view, all buttoned up

right side. You can see where I couldn't mount the 3rd rad fan on the top 360mm rad because it conflicts with the rear 120mm

top view "nude":

Front. No "push" front intake fans yet, adding 3 x shortly:

Some more: *
*CPU: Intel 10980XE @ 5.0 ghz (by Core usage) w/ EK monoblock
*Mobo: Asus Rampage VIE
*RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000 G.Skill TridentZ
*Graphics: Gigabite 3090 Waterforce
*Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW @ 120hz
*Storage OS: Samsung SM970 Pro (2TB) Windows 10
*Storage Games Internal: 4TB 850 EVO RAID0
*Storage Extermal: 48TB Raid0 (External USB 3.1 Box)
*Case/PSU: Thermaltake V71 TG/RGB + 3 Rads (120mm, 360mm, 420mm) + Corsair AX1200i PSU
12 REPLIES 12

Quozzo
Level 7
That looks great. Except that missing fan. It looks like you have it set up to a push/pull config judging by the photos taken from above so it is getting some air going through it. I'm not sure if that case designed for such high end loops with push/pull. Most poeple, including me, are comfortable with just fans on one side.

I do like how you have the loop set up though. Goes through the GPU block, then rad, then CPU block, then other rads. It's similar to mine. I don't know why but it just feels like it will cool it better.

Quozzo wrote:
I do like how you have the loop set up though. Goes through the GPU block, then rad, then CPU block, then other rads. It's similar to mine. I don't know why but it just feels like it will cool it better.

I have mine configured the same way (CPU Block, Rad, GPU Blocks, Rads). After a lot of reading I found the consensus is that loop order makes no difference even though logic dictates otherwise. I happy with the way mine performs so there's no reason to change it.

skypine27
Level 7
Most internet people who've tested it agree the loop order makes no difference (within probably +/- 2 degrees) of cooling each component.

The only reason mine goes in that order is it's the easiest way to route things (for someone who has no experience in bending and cutting hard tubing). *The water pump output is generally closest to the GPUs so it naturally lends itself to being routed to hit those first. *One of these days I'll take a crack at hard tubing but I'll probably still run the same order for connivence sake.

*Case/PSU: Thermaltake V71 TG/RGB + 3 Rads (120mm, 360mm, 420mm) + Corsair AX1200i PSU

i have the exact same case as you thermal take view 71 and damn its a sexy case so much room and options u can do . nice job on the water cooling .

im running a x hero ,8700k @ 5 ghz , 4000 mhz ram cl18 , 1080ti but only a swiftec h320 x 2 aio 360mm wich will be modded to cool the 1080ti love the case !
Rig # 1 - 14900K SP-115 | 87 MC @ 6.0 GHZ | 5.1 R | 4.5 E | DDR5 48GB @ 8,400 c36 | Strix RTX 4090 | XG27AQN 1440P 27" 360 Hz G-Sync ULMB 2

Rig # 2 - 13900KS-SP-120 | 80 MC @ 5.8 GHZ | 5.0 R | 4.5 E | DDR4 32GB @ 4,300 c15 | Strix RTX 3080 | Aoc 1080P 25" 240 Hz G-Sync

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
skypine27 wrote:
+It's all about the glass!

That is a nice case...and a nice build and review!

You have very nice build,but you could have installed 420mm 60mm thick rad on top and fans only on top(to pull air from top ) and on front 360mm 60mm rad in pull push or the same rad in front in pull and in middle 360 rad in push pull 30mm thickness.
I have HL 420mm SR2 60mm rad on top and 360 SR 2 60mm push/pull in front,planning on installing another one GTS 360 in middle too 🙂
One question,is your PSU making buzz sound when you're close to it?

Marko911 wrote:
You have very nice build,but you could have installed 420mm 60mm thick rad on top and fans only on top(to pull air from top ) and on front 360mm 60mm rad in pull push or the same rad in front in pull and in middle 360 rad in push pull 30mm thickness.
I have HL 420mm SR2 60mm rad on top and 360 SR 2 60mm push/pull in front,planning on installing another one GTS 360 in middle too 🙂
One question,is your PSU making buzz sound when you're close to it?

*Can you post pics please *?

skypine27 wrote:

Next week when I come home,I will post pics here. 🙂 Note:.One more thing is great about this case is that you don't need any exhaust fans except at the back because all the case panels aren't fully closed,so you have aprox about 1 cmm free from edge to edge so you do get nice ventilation.
I literally don't have any dust build up inside from all intake fans.
How did you manage to install 420mm rad in front? 😄

skypine27 wrote:

Here you go :
https://imgur.com/a/vjAJY
when SC parts arrive (hope soon),I will be posting completed build with all 3 rads.But,behind RES you can put this thick 60mm 360mm rad and in front another 30mm thick 360mm rad in push pull.
In reality,there is no need for third radiator cuz my CPU isn't capable of any kind of OC ,I think that even the top 420mm is enough for mine rotten CPU. 😄 But since I already order it...