cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IX Hero cpu speed jumping all over the place.

Despotes
Level 7
My system started acting funky today with web pages freezing that lead to Black SOD and games crashing to the desktop. I uninstalled the Windows Spectre.. patch--so far so good, but now instead of my 7700K running constantly at 4.9 it's now fluctuating like crazy between 800mhz to 4.9Ghz at idle. I checked the BIOS to try and find the setting that will keep it at 4.9 thinking maybe the erratic jumps are causing my problems. I also updated to the latest Ai Suite 3 a few days ago. Maybe that's causing the problem??
How do I get it to stay at 4.9 again?
7 REPLIES 7

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
check power plan. maybe is balance.
Learn, Play Enjoy!

My Windows power plan was changed to balanced (Still stuck on Balanced, won't change.)In CPU I set min to 100% and max to 4900, but now it fluctuates from 4197 to 4900. I hate win 10 and it's raping of updates. Is there anything in the BIOS that will keep it at 4.9?

It seems the primary cause of my problems was Malwarebytes. Bad update that was resolved. My cpu is still erratic from the BSODs

Nate152
Hi Despotes

Setting the windows power plan to high performance should keep your cpu at a constant 4.9GHz.

You could try disabling speedstep and the C-states.

For the windows high performance profile, all you have to do is tick the circle beside high performance.

I tried that multiple times, but it kept going back to Balanced. It would accept the Performance selection for about a second then automatically revert back to Balanced. Very strange indeed. Win10 at it's finest.
I forgot about Speedstep. Thanks

Nate152
Are you by chance using bit defender? I see if this is not configured it will set the power plan to balanced.

If you can't find what's causing it, I might reinstall windows with no third party programs then check the windows high performance profile.

stealth2920
Level 7
I had the same issue with the power settings. AI Suite 3 fan settings will continue to change the power settings to balanced.

Not using Bit defender. AI Suite 3(in DIP5) has Performance and above that Power Saving Formula highlighted, but no options to change anything.