cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't access my DATA

moathsonbol
Level 7
Hi everyone.. ( I MADE A MISTAKE )
I was trying to install windows 10 on my M.2 SSD, and there was another HDD hard drive pluged in.
And when i got to the step where i had to choose where to install the OS, i choose the M.2 SSD (i'm pretty sure i choose that drive)
Then after i finished installing i went to the boot menu in BIOS, and found out that windows was actually installed on the HDD drive. 😞
But i found 2 options in the boot menu, one with the drive name & "Windows Boot Manager".
And the other one was the same drive but only shows the name and the storage size.
Now the drive doesn't show up inside windows and i can't access it.

I have important data in this drive, does anyone know how to fix this problem ?!
2 REPLIES 2

illirio1
Level 7
What often happens is the drive does not get a letter assignment. If I got your question correctly - try going to the disk management and assign a letter to the drive you are interested in (you can find good instructions searching for "changing drive letter"). If you are looking for the data that was on the drive you have installed Windows on I am afraid it is not trivial task.

illirio1 wrote:
What often happens is the drive does not get a letter assignment. If I got your question correctly - try going to the disk management and assign a letter to the drive you are interested in (you can find good instructions searching for "changing drive letter"). If you are looking for the data that was on the drive you have installed Windows on I am afraid it is not trivial task.

When i went to "create and format hard disk partitions" to change drive letter, i found that the free space in the Hard Drive is 1862 GB (Total size: 1862 GB)
Does that mean i lost my data forever 😞