cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm an idiot. How to kill your R6E monoblock...

Brighttail
Level 11
So I wanted a new colour in my computer. I have had red forever it seems, at least going back 3 computers ago. So I decide to run Mayhem Blitz. Twenty four hours later I'm noticing my flow rate for both my GPU and CPU loops are much lower. After a couple of flushes same thing. I had just run Blitz some 5 months ago with these new radiators so I wasn't expecting a lot of gunk but I was wrong. Both the GPU and CPU blocks filled with gunk.

Okay fine. Remove the GPU block, take it fully apart, clean all the gunk out, put it together and WHEE, despite it being my first time to take apart a GPU block apart and I didn't break anything and no leaks!!

Then I take out the EK Monoblock. I take it apart and I thought i was being careful, but apparently when I was rinsing the acrylic, I lose one of the two round orings from it. Of course I didn't notice this at all until I was putting it together and as I'm screwing in the screw associated with that oring I hear a 'crack'. Because the o-ring wasn't there, the screw went just a little deeper into the recess and that was enough to crack the acrylic and boom, waterblook is toast. Just to be sure I put it in my computer and tested it and yup, little drops dropping on my CPU's backplate.

I've rush ordered one from DAZMODE here in Canada so I'm only down a day or so but damn I'm an idiot. I was so careful with the GPU block and I think I got a little cocky and just plain didn't pay attention. Oh well. In 6 years of watercooling this is my first major boo boo that actually cost me a component.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop
44 REPLIES 44

mpoffo
Level 10
Sorry to hear about this Brighttail. I am glad it didn't cause larger issues with leaking and the computer itself.
RVIE X299 System:
Windows 10 Prof 64-bit | Intel Core i9 7900x | ASUS Rampage VI Extreme | Corsair AX 1200i PSU
Corsair 900D | 32 GB 3200 G.SKILL Trident RGB Series | RTX 3090/EVGA GTX 1080 | Acer X34 Predator Monitor
Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | Intel 520 SATA SSD 240GB HD | 2 & 4 TB WD Black Hard Drive
Creative Sound Blaster Z | Logitech THX 5.1 speaker setup

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah, bad luck Brighttail! Live and learn is all you can say I guess...props for posting up the mistake though...might help someone else avoid it!
😞

Beto556
Level 9
Sorry to hear about this too

I particularly do not like any colored fluid (especially the ones we have to make the mix eg. Mayhem, Primochill Vue, etc.)
I already read that they bring more problems than beauty

That's why 10 years ago I only use Koolance fluid without having any problem of clogging or low flow

I hope you - who help so many people in this forum - can solve it as soon as possible. We learn more from mistakes than from successes.

Regards

CSN7
Level 7
Dude Jaystwocents is so missinformed and spreading wrong info across the web it boggles my mind how ppl aren't ****ting all over his channel. Sure there are some fluids like Aurora that are only recommended for short time use in like show cases and such. But gunk that builds up in your blocks is usually not from the fluid. It's the plasticizers from the tubes that then get dyed by the coolant and therefore the coolant itself is what ppl used to think was causing clowding or gunk build up in blocks. Some strong colors like red will always also over time dye acrylic, but usually won't cause gunk build up or clowding as I said.

Use plasticizer free tubing and you will be perfectly fine.
For example:
Mayhems Ultra Clear
EK-Tube ZMT
new Primochill Advanced LRT (old ones had issues)

Brighttail
Level 11
I've been using Mayhem's pastel (Red, Blue and Purple) over the last 6 years or so and have never had an issue with gunk build up. I ran a Swiftech CPU block, some Asus 980 Poseidon and MSI Sea Hawks with the EK waterblock and NEVER an issue with gunk. I really think it was these new Xflow radiators. I probably didn't run blitz long enough or didn't flush them in the sink enough, tho I boiled Distilled water and let it set a minute or two so I'd be pouring almost boiling water in to them before sloshing them around. I had a lot of crap come out of them at the beginning but eventually it came clean, so I really think it was the rads in the end that had even more **** in them.

Yeah the monoblock is live n learn. Some water dripped onto the motherboard behind the shield, but I was using a PSU by-pass so no electricity to the board. It will be a few days before I get my monoblock it looks like so it will have some time to dry. Thankfully I was on my fourth flush so no red pastel left in the loop really and almost 100% distilled water.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Brighttail wrote:
I've been using Mayhem's pastel (Red, Blue and Purple) over the last 6 years or so and have never had an issue with gunk build up. I ran a Swiftech CPU block, some Asus 980 Poseidon and MSI Sea Hawks with the EK waterblock and NEVER an issue with gunk. I really think it was these new Xflow radiators. I probably didn't run blitz long enough or didn't flush them in the sink enough, tho I boiled Distilled water and let it set a minute or two so I'd be pouring almost boiling water in to them before sloshing them around. I had a lot of crap come out of them at the beginning but eventually it came clean, so I really think it was the rads in the end that had even more **** in them.

Yeah the monoblock is live n learn. Some water dripped onto the motherboard behind the shield, but I was using a PSU by-pass so no electricity to the board. It will be a few days before I get my monoblock it looks like so it will have some time to dry. Thankfully I was on my fourth flush so no red pastel left in the loop really and almost 100% distilled water.

Have you ever tried Dazmode's Protector additive? It's basically just glorified glycol but I've been using that with distilled water for the last 6 years with no issue. I've been really bad and haven't serviced my loop for about 4 years but it still runs well. When I transfer my R6E into my current case I'll service everything at that point but I'll stick with the same stuff.

Although those coloured and pearly fluids look great I just don't want the hassle of any potential blockage and gunk. Simple works best IMHO.

I prefer the full nickel blocks they make I still have a few they were indestructible! Not a fan of acetal. But they didn't make one for this MB unfortunately.

Jesus,don't put cola in copper rads!That green color that came is part of Cu oxidation caused by phosphates in cola!
Rinse your rads with distiled water once or twice and that's enough. I personally like HL water-soluble flux so I don't have to flush my rads.
If you want to flush clean your rads and blocks from previous color dyes than just use a freaking active charcoal with heated water around 50C.It's safe,it doesn't destroy or interact with metals.and it's cheap.
In my opinion EKWB color additives are safe,don't cause any gunk to build up and their pigment is fairly easy to remove even with just plain water.
You will not notice any difference in using demineralized water,distilled double-triple,sterile water.Difference in these beforementioned waters is so insignificant in use on nickel-ed plated metals,and there will be no significant changes in your loop block metals like cu,brass or their plating's.

Marko911 wrote:
Jesus,don't put cola in copper rads!That green color that came is part of Cu oxidation caused by phosphates in cola!
Rinse your rads with distiled water once or twice and that's enough. I personally like HL water-soluble flux so I don't have to flush my rads.
If you want to flush clean your rads and blocks from previous color dyes than just use a freaking active charcoal with heated water around 50C.It's safe,it doesn't destroy or interact with metals.and it's cheap.
In my opinion EKWB color additives are safe,don't cause any gunk to build up and their pigment is fairly easy to remove even with just plain water.
You will not notice any difference in using demineralized water,distilled double-triple,sterile water.Difference in these beforementioned waters is so insignificant in use on nickel-ed plated metals,and there will be no significant changes in your loop block metals like cu,brass or their plating's.

Well that is why I asked about cola, because chemistry is always lurking when different materials interact. I am no chemistry expert but that bit I know. So phosphates + copper = oxidation.

What about a white vinegar solution? I was following a thread at overclock.net with two participants being chemists and they did not pose any concerns regarding the use of vinegar for flushing. I have used vinegar for 24 hours in my old thermochill rads and they are still running great 10 years later - no maintainance - not even once.
Asus Rampage VI Extreme | i9-7940X | 64GB Trident Z RGB 3600 | Asus Strix 1080Ti OC | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB | WD Gold 10TB | WD Red 4TB X 2 | PSU Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Loop - RAD MO-RA3 420 Pro | EK Monoblock | Phanteks GPU Block | Heatkiller 200 Tube RES | EK Dual D5 Revo Pumps | 9 X Corsair ML 140 Pro Fans on RAD | | Bitspower Fittings Black Chrome | Cooler Master Cosmos 2 Modded Case | Silent WIngs 3 120mm Intake |