Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Personally, I'm using clear liquid and EKWBs ZMT black tubing. I didn't even go for a watercooled build because of the aesthetics, since my rig is under the desk anyway, so I went for what I think is the best combination.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array jpmboy PC Specs
    jpmboy PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage VI Apex
    Processor7980XE
    Memory (part number)G.SKill 3600c15 (2x)2x8GB
    Graphics Card #1Titan V
    Graphics Card #2Titan V
    MonitorROG PG278Q
    Storage #1Intel 900P
    Storage #24TB Raid 10
    CPU CoolerCustom Water
    Power SupplyAX1500i
    Keyboard Ducky
    Mouse ROG Spatha
    Headset Ultimate Ears Custom IEMs
    OS Win 10/Win7 Pro

DW + some inhibitor is best.

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.*

As for coolant and flushes it’s all about what you prefer. 99% of *what is put out by reviewers and marketing is 100% conjecture to sell more stuff. Cmon now....silver coils in your loop? Can you say SNAKE OIL? If you actually have 100% pure distilled water, have properly flushed your system and not mixed parts to create a cathodic reaction how are microbial organisms going to be present and flourish? I wouldn’t doubt that half of the products on the market actually introduce microbes PURPOSELY! *I water cooled for years *with no additives and no microbes formed into anything. *Automotive systems go for decades without problems so long as you don’t introduce them.*

How do I flush rads before installing them? First hot water from the tap where I can get plenty of flow. I have a tube set up with G1/4 on one end and a faucet adaptor on the other. Flush both directions for about 5 minutes. Then the secret......drain all water and blow it out with compressed air and lay radiator on its back with ports facing up and get a can or bottle of fresh CocaCola! Fill the rad with it slowly. It will immediately commence to bubbling and boiling. Leave it overnight and wake up to all the nasty green sheet that you scratch you head in disbelief over how that was even in there. Flush hot tap water again. Do this with all rads and blow out with compressed air before assembly. Put it all together and fill with distilled water run 24 hours, drain and toss. Refill and run machine loaded (new machine of course your gonna run bench and stability tests) for several days. Drain and toss water and refill with fresh distilled again and whatever impurities you wish it introduce or if you really want to keep it clean and maintenance free don’t put anything else in there!*

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post

How do I flush rads before installing them? First hot water from the tap where I can get plenty of flow. I have a tube set up with G1/4 on one end and a faucet adaptor on the other. Flush both directions for about 5 minutes. Then the secret......drain all water and blow it out with compressed air and lay radiator on its back with ports facing up and get a can or bottle of fresh CocaCola! Fill the rad with it slowly. It will immediately commence to bubbling and boiling. Leave it overnight and wake up to all the nasty green sheet that you scratch you head in disbelief over how that was even in there. Flush hot tap water again. Do this with all rads and blow out with compressed air before assembly. Put it all together and fill with distilled water run 24 hours, drain and toss. Refill and run machine loaded (new machine of course your gonna run bench and stability tests) for several days. Drain and toss water and refill with fresh distilled again and whatever impurities you wish it introduce or if you really want to keep it clean and maintenance free don’t put anything else in there!*
    Wow. Impressive. Might as well do that.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Abaidor PC Specs
    Abaidor PC Specs
    Processori9-7940X
    Memory (part number)F4-3600C17Q-64GTZR | Trident Z RGB 64GB
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix 1080Ti OC
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Storage #2WD 10TB Gold
    CPU CoolerEK Rampage VI Monoblock
    CaseC0smos 2 Modded
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i

JERUSA andi

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post

As for coolant and flushes it’s all about what you prefer. 99% of *what is put out by reviewers and marketing is 100% conjecture to sell more stuff. Cmon now....silver coils in your loop? Can you say SNAKE OIL? If you actually have 100% pure distilled water, have properly flushed your system and not mixed parts to create a cathodic reaction how are microbial organisms going to be present and flourish? I wouldn’t doubt that half of the products on the market actually introduce microbes PURPOSELY! *I water cooled for years *with no additives and no microbes formed into anything. *Automotive systems go for decades without problems so long as you don’t introduce them.*

Haha, and I thought I was the only one that doesn't believe in using anything but pure water. I have been running a loop for the last 9 years with NO MAINTAINANCE! Yes, right nothing but just small top-ups once a year.

This loop was initially filled with WFI (water for injection) and after I got into Salt Water Aquariums (not anymore) and got my self a good Reverse Osmosis filter with DI stages as well, I am just using water from it for the top ups.

This old loop uses Thermochill Radiators and I cleaned them up with vinegar and I thing some bleach about 10 years ago when I bought them. Then flushed them with an attached hose just as you described (pressure).

I just got a big RAD now from Watercool.de ( a 9 X 1400) so I will do as you suggest.

I have seen videos in youtube using Coca Cola for cleaning metal parts but never thought of using it in a radiator. Good thinking and a lot cheaper than Mayhems Bleach (which I would not get).

Anyway, is there a chance that Coca Cola corrodes or cause some sort of damage to any type of solder in there? I guess copper is pretty safe from it so no worries. What I don't know is what kind of chemical reactions take place between a Coke and the various types of solder / flux.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Brighttail View Post
    I've been using Mayhem's pastel (Red, Blue and Purple) over the last 6 years or so and have never had an issue with gunk build up. I ran a Swiftech CPU block, some Asus 980 Poseidon and MSI Sea Hawks with the EK waterblock and NEVER an issue with gunk. I really think it was these new Xflow radiators. I probably didn't run blitz long enough or didn't flush them in the sink enough, tho I boiled Distilled water and let it set a minute or two so I'd be pouring almost boiling water in to them before sloshing them around. I had a lot of crap come out of them at the beginning but eventually it came clean, so I really think it was the rads in the end that had even more **** in them.

Yeah the monoblock is live n learn. Some water dripped onto the motherboard behind the shield, but I was using a PSU by-pass so no electricity to the board. It will be a few days before I get my monoblock it looks like so it will have some time to dry. Thankfully I was on my fourth flush so no red pastel left in the loop really and almost 100% distilled water.
    Have you ever tried Dazmode's Protector additive? It's basically just glorified glycol but I've been using that with distilled water for the last 6 years with no issue. I've been really bad and haven't serviced my loop for about 4 years but it still runs well. When I transfer my R6E into my current case I'll service everything at that point but I'll stick with the same stuff.

Although those coloured and pearly fluids look great I just don't want the hassle of any potential blockage and gunk. Simple works best IMHO.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

I prefer the full nickel blocks they make I still have a few they were indestructible! Not a fan of acetal. But they didn't make one for this MB unfortunately.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Marko911 PC Specs
    Marko911 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rampage extreme VI
    Processori9 7900x @4,7Ghz cores at from 7x1,20v-3x1,21v
    Memory (part number)G.skill 32GB 3200MHZ CL14 DDR4 quad kit
    Graphics Card #1Aorus 1080ti extreme edition @2032Mhz/12000Mhz
    MonitorAsus something IPS,144Hz ,Freesync
    Storage #1m.2 Samsung EVO 960 1TB
    Storage #2m.2 Samsung EVO 960 500GB
    CPU CoolerEKWB monoblock
    CaseThermaltake view 71 TG
    Power SupplyCorsair RM1000i
    Keyboard rappo wireless keyboard and mouse
    Headset Logitech G933
    OS win 10 pro/64bit
    Accessory #1 HL GTS 360mm/push only
    Accessory #2 HL SR2 360mm push/pull
    Accessory #3 HL SR2 420mm push/pull

Oh chemistry,oh chemistry....

Jesus,don't put cola in copper rads!That green color that came is part of Cu oxidation caused by phosphates in cola!
    Rinse your rads with distiled water once or twice and that's enough. I personally like HL water-soluble flux so I don't have to flush my rads.
    If you want to flush clean your rads and blocks from previous color dyes than just use a freaking active charcoal with heated water around 50C.It's safe,it doesn't destroy or interact with metals.and it's cheap.
    In my opinion EKWB color additives are safe,don't cause any gunk to build up and their pigment is fairly easy to remove even with just plain water.
    You will not notice any difference in using demineralized water,distilled double-triple,sterile water.Difference in these beforementioned waters is so insignificant in use on nickel-ed plated metals,and there will be no significant changes in your loop block metals like cu,brass or their plating's.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array LiveOrDie PC Specs
    LiveOrDie PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 7980XE Custom IHS @ 4.6Ghz 1.23v
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
    Graphics Card #1AORUS GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti XTREME WATERFORCE WB 11G
    MonitorLG 4k 43inch
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro NVME 512gb
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Evo 1TB x 2
    CPU CoolerEK-Velocity , EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 500D SE ATX-E Modded
    Power SupplyCooler Master Vanguard Series 1000W
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Logitech G900
    Headset Razer Tiamat 2.2 v2
    OS Windows 10 x64
    Network RouterNetGear

I had the same issue with EK clear, you have to watch out for crappy coolant, Ice Dragon is the best and just add a dye to it because its while, also i've used the same coolant for 3 years, when i upgrade from X99 i drained it the rain the same coolant though a pillow case and it had no build up at all, my temps have been the same with no change.
    Last edited by LiveOrDie; 02-03-2018 at 11:38 AM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Abaidor PC Specs
    Abaidor PC Specs
    Processori9-7940X
    Memory (part number)F4-3600C17Q-64GTZR | Trident Z RGB 64GB
    Graphics Card #1Asus Strix 1080Ti OC
    Storage #1Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    Storage #2WD 10TB Gold
    CPU CoolerEK Rampage VI Monoblock
    CaseC0smos 2 Modded
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i

Quote Originally Posted by Marko911 View Post
    Jesus,don't put cola in copper rads!That green color that came is part of Cu oxidation caused by phosphates in cola!
    Rinse your rads with distiled water once or twice and that's enough. I personally like HL water-soluble flux so I don't have to flush my rads.
    If you want to flush clean your rads and blocks from previous color dyes than just use a freaking active charcoal with heated water around 50C.It's safe,it doesn't destroy or interact with metals.and it's cheap.
    In my opinion EKWB color additives are safe,don't cause any gunk to build up and their pigment is fairly easy to remove even with just plain water.
    You will not notice any difference in using demineralized water,distilled double-triple,sterile water.Difference in these beforementioned waters is so insignificant in use on nickel-ed plated metals,and there will be no significant changes in your loop block metals like cu,brass or their plating's.

Well that is why I asked about cola, because chemistry is always lurking when different materials interact. I am no chemistry expert but that bit I know. So phosphates + copper = oxidation.

What about a white vinegar solution? I was following a thread at overclock.net with two participants being chemists and they did not pose any concerns regarding the use of vinegar for flushing. I have used vinegar for 24 hours in my old thermochill rads and they are still running great 10 years later - no maintainance - not even once.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast