cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Various Crosshair VI Extreme issues

Riekopo
Level 9
I recently put together my new gaming PC. It has not gone completely smoothly so I need some help figuring out the remaining problems. I will try to list them all that I can remember.

First, I cannot get the front headphone and mic ports to work on my Corsair Air 540 case. I have the cable plugged into the correct port on the motherboard as far as I know (bottom left). But it's still not working.

Second, I cannot figure out how to disable the white LED AMD logo on the Wraith Max cooler. And I cannot figure out how to disable the red LED Start and Reset buttons on the top right side of the motherboard. These kind of ruin the color scheme I'm trying to do.

Third, I'm not sure which SATA ports I should have my SSD, HDD, and Blu-Ray drive plugged into. There are around 8 or so available.

Fourth, I'm not sure which internal USB header my Air 540 case's front USB 3.0 ports should be plugged into. The case has two USB 3.0 front ports on it. The motherboard doesn't seem to have any USB 3.0 headers on it. Only USB 2.0 and USB 3.1. Currently, I have it plugged into the USB 3.1 header on the right middle side of the motherboard which is identified as the front panel 3.1 header.

Fifth, I could not figure out how to install my SSD in one of the two drive trays on the bottom of the case. It fits a normal HDD just fine, but the SSD is much smaller and the screw holes don't align correctly. So I just have the SSD in the back half of the case in the SSD tray.

Sixth, I'm not sure if my CPU is working correctly. I don't want to overclock it at this time. I want it to use its automatic frequency boost features. However, it doesn't seem to be going much above 3600MHz when I run benchmarks.

Seventh, I'm not sure which chipset driver to use. The motherboard disc comes with an old chipset driver which it lists as 9.0.000.8. It seems to include some kind of video driver with it which I don't want. The official AMD website lists a much newer chipset driver being available which is 17.4. I seem to be missing the "AMD Balanced" option in the Windows power settings. And every time I select High Performance it resets itself back to the default Balanced when I restart the PC.

Eighth, I'm not sure how to correctly install drivers from the Crosshair VI Extreme motherboard support page. When you download a driver and open the folder there are usually two (or even more) different setup.EXEs listed. One is AsusSetup.EXE and the other is Setup.EXE. The Asus website gives no instructions. When I tried to update the Wi-Fi driver it didn't seem to work. First, I installed the Wi-Fi driver from the motherboard disc. That seemed to work. Then I tried to update it with the newer driver listed on the Asus page. However, when I put the motherboard disc back in to see if the driver version had been updated it was still the same.

Ninth, for some reason the circular RGB light on the AMD Wraith Max cooler doesn't seem to be in sycn with the lights on the motherboard. It's always a different color than the lights on the motherboard. I also cannot figure out how to turn off the white AMD logo. And I can't figure out how to turn off the red lights on the Vega 64 GPU.

Tenth, I've been looking for three RGB case fans to replace the stock fans in my Corsair Air 540 case. I was going to get the Thermaltake Riing 14 RGB Premium Edition fans, but then I learned that they don't work with Asus Aura. Apparently, there are almost no RGB fans that work with Asus Aura. I really don't know what to do about this. I want all the lights in my case to be in sync and work together.

Asus Crosshair VI Extreme mobo (latest BIOS)
Ryzen 7 1800X CPU (cooled by AMD Wraith Max)
XFX Vega 64 LC GPU (latest driver from AMD)
16GB (8x2) Trident Z DDR4 3600 15-15-15-35 RAM (currently running at 2133MHz 15-15-15-36)
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD
Windows 10 Home 64 bit
1 REPLY 1

threesa
Level 8
Hey,

All references I make are to this documentation: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_CROSSHAIR-VI-EXTREME/E13863_ROG_CROSSHAIR_VI_EXTRE...

Front panel audio connector: should be connected on the left hand side at the bottom indeed. Number 27 on page 1 - 2.
You will also need the SupremeFX audio drivers and program for it to work correctrly.

For all colors to be sync you need to connect the RGB header from your cooler(s) - even CPU cooler - to the RGB header on your motherboard.
This is number 4 on page 1 - 2. Found at the top and bottom.
Then with the Aura Sync app you can set the color and they will all sync after applying the changes.

You can use whatever SATA port for whatever device. It's how you see fit. You just have 8 slots to connect no matter what to it.
This applies to all SATA ports on all motherboards for all devices and brands.

For USB 3.0 you can use the 3.1 headers as it is backward compatible. Number 18 on page 1 - 2.
Located at the bottom of the motherboard.

Fifth is a case issue, not a motherboard issue. You should keep your SSD in the designated tray.
Or you can buy a 'convertor' that allows to install a 2.5" drive in a 3.5" space.

Your CPU is working fine if your PC runs 😉 You should see errors during boot otherwise.
Or not be able to boot at all. Check your BIOS settings.
During single core operations however you probably won't see the change 😉
Benchmarks also tend to read the base CPU speed - not the changing value.

If you use the latest drivers from the ASUS website (https://www.asus.com/be-nl/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-EXTREME/HelpDesk_Download/).
You shouldn't have issues. I'm running them without any problems. Power management can also be achieved with Asus AI Suite.
That would also overrule the Windows settings if you already have it installed.

It doesn't really matter which .EXE you execute. Setup.exe will start AsusSetup.exe as well.
For some drivers it is best to first remove then before upgrading them.
And sometimes Windows simply choses its own preference - instead of what you just installed.
You can change it to the preferred version via Device Management.

A lot of fans nowadays are Aura Sync or other vendors compatible.
And they don't really need the Aura Sync logo 😉 As long as they have an RGB port you can sync them.
Cooler Master has the best choice and is marked as Aura Sync compatible 😉

GPU's LED's are something different alltogether. Only a select few are Aura Sync compatible, like the ROG cards from ASUS.
All other cards have a non addresseable RGB aboard. So probably you have one of those.
Nothing you can change about it...