CPU: I7- 3820.-
VGA: AMD Radeon HD 7970
RAM: 8Gb x 4 (ddr3 - 1600) G. Skills
SSD: 500gb Crucial m4
HDD: 500gb
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV (DEAD!!!!!) ;(
Cooler: Thermaltake frio extreme
power supply: Corsair TX850W

- My motherboard died because some pins where the cpu goes broke.

EDIT: :eek:

In the end I decided to buy new parts for my pc, now I am between trying to use my ram or change to a ddr4.
- So, what is the most current socket that supports the ram ddr3? or it is not convenient to continue using my ram?

- With regard to the cooler, can I continue using it right?

- Regarding the amount of money I have, it is difficult because I have to buy materials for my university career, dentistry (around 1800 USD), in the end I would have between 350 USD to 670 USD, and that I can probably buy the parts for my pc in 1 month (at the beginning of March) 😞

-Pd: the pc is just for playing, like Lol, PUBG, Fortnite, Rocket League, Cs: Go, Black Desert.
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15
Upgrade is the best option. It'll be pretty hard to find a new motherboard that supports your CPU. Even if you did, it would be a used one probably.

Chino wrote:
Upgrade is the best option. It'll be pretty hard to find a new motherboard that supports your CPU. Even if you did, it would be a used one probably.

if it is not too much trouble, which generation is the best to upgrade my pc and that is not so expensive.
- Actually I do not know much about which is better than another, but if you could give me the models of the cpu - MoBo - Ram, to ultimately put together a little more money.

Did the socket pins break or get bent? While you're waiting for the funds to upgrade, bent (and sometimes even broken) pins can be repaired. Many videos on line that show the process; basically the tools you need is a strong light, good magnification, thin push-pin and sometimes a razor blade to re-align. It's tedious work, but if you're careful you could resurrect the board. If you go the upgrade route, you'll probably have to replace your cpu and ram in addition to the motherboard. Expect a hefty budget...

offthewall69 wrote:
Did the socket pins break or get bent? While you're waiting for the funds to upgrade, bent (and sometimes even broken) pins can be repaired. Many videos on line that show the process; basically the tools you need is a strong light, good magnification, thin push-pin and sometimes a razor blade to re-align. It's tedious work, but if you're careful you could resurrect the board. If you go the upgrade route, you'll probably have to replace your cpu and ram in addition to the motherboard. Expect a hefty budget...

I hope the pines are bent, buy some things to try to repair them, but while these arrive, I am looking for some other option.

- So, what is the most current socket that supports the ram ddr3?

Hope all is going better for you Manolete. Been on the road lately so I wasn't monitoring your progress.

While there are some LGA1151 boards that support DDR3, they will limit the capabilities of a newer CPU.

Based on your budget, and the possibility of being able to repair the board, I'd recommend an X79 replacement board until you can either:
- Fix the board you have, or
- Upgrade your entire system

With that in mind, I'd recommend an inexpensive new board like this to tide you over (about $100USD) until you can effect the repair or replacement. Best of luck on finding a solution.