cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling SATA 1 if Using M.2_1??

GeneralT001
Level 7
Hi,

I'm a newb here so please forgive my ignorance on this.

I am using a Samsung NVMe SSD on slot M.2_1, which apparently you loose the use of SATA 1 when doing this.

Do I have to go into the BIOS (under Advanced) and disable SATA 1 myself or is this automatic when using an SSD M.2 on slot 2_1? I did go in and disabled it but don't know if I need to?
23 REPLIES 23

Menthol
Level 14
No need to manually disable any sata ports

Menthol wrote:
No need to manually disable any sata ports

Thanks. I'll go back in and enable it again and just won't put anything on SATA 1.

Cheers

Deepcuts
Level 10
If you setup M2_1 as PCIEX with a nvme SSD, you will not lose SATA 1.

Deepcuts wrote:
If you setup M2_1 as PCIEX with a nvme SSD, you will not lose SATA 1.

Ok, now I'm confused. I do have a Samsung NVMe SSD on the M.2_1 slot. So with that I don't loose any SATA ports - slot 1 is still good? I kinda suspected that as I didn't see any change with or without it enabled.

In the Motherboard book it states" The M2_1 socket shares SATA_1 port when use M.2 SATA mode device. Adjust BIOS settings to use a SATA device". So I guess I'm confusing a NVMe SSD to be the same as a regular M.2 SSD?

Deepcuts
Level 10
M2_1 can be setup as SATA or PCIex.
You have a nvme SSD so you will set it up as PCIex for maximum speed, thus SATA 1 will not be shared or disabled with the M.2 port.
Only if M2_1 is setup as SATA you will lose SATA 1

As the previous poster mentions, if you are using an M.2 drive in the first slot, the BIOS sets it automatically to PCI Express mode (which is what you want). You can continue to use SATA port 1 with this setting.

If you manually tell the BIOS to run the M.2 drive in SATA mode instead, then you lose SATA port 1. There's no real reason to run it in SATA mode though unless you want slower speeds.

Thanks all.

Appreciate clearing that up for me.

Cheers

on similar topic. I have install Samsung NVME on M2.2 . It is running NVME. However, i lost SATA 5 and 6 even though it sound like it not suppose to.

Deepcuts
Level 10
If M.2_2 is set at x4, SATA 5 & 6 are disabled.
This is my setup also.
If M.2_2 is set at x2, SATA 5 & 6 are NOT disabled, but the nvme SSD has half the required bandwidth, thus lower speeds.