cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5E Fresh Windows 10 install - What to install?

Semireject
Level 7
I am about to do a clean install of Windows 10 and a general "clean up" of my system. And I was wondering what installs is really necessary whe it comes to both drivers and software?

My intentions is to have it as little bloated as possible. I use the system for both gaming and creative stuff in Adobe CC, as well as some streaming and recording.

Do you guys follow a certain pattern when installing fresh? What do you, and what do you not install? I mean means specific to the Rampage V Extreme, chipset and stuff like that.

<- See me profil for full system spec.
8 REPLIES 8

Semireject
Level 7
Going through the list on the R5E download page I came to do this conclusion.

Am I on the right track here? Can something bad happen from not installing drivers for the things I don't use?

Installing | Not installing | Not sure

AUDIO
Realtek Audio GM:V6.0.1.7829_GM_StudioSound_SonicSuite_2.2.25_SonicRadar_2.1.3301.0 (2016/08/04)
- I don't use the onboard soundcard

LAN
Intel Lan Driver V20.1.2019.0 for Win 10 (WHQL) (2015/08/06)

Utilities
AI Suite 3 v3.00.13 (2018/01/25)
Dual Intelligent Processors 5 v1.05.14 (2018/01/25)

Wireless
WIFI WIN10 32bit&64bit V6.34.223.5 (2015/06/30)
- I don't use wireless

USB
Asmedia_USB3_V1.16.35.1 (2016/08/02)

Chipset
MEI: V11.0.5.1189 (2016/08/02)
Chipset V10.1.2.8 WHQL (2015/08/07)

Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility V10.1.2.8 (WHQL)
- do I need it?

SATA
Asmedia SATA Controller Driver V3.1.6.0 (WHQL) (2015/09/09)
Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Driver Software V14.5.0.1081 (WHQL) (2015/09/09)

Intel(R) AHCI/RAID Driver (2015/09/09)
- I don't run RAID at the moment, but I guess it's stupid to not install?
IRST_V14.5.0.1081_WHQL (2015/08/07)

BlueTooth
Bluetooth Driver V12.0.1.650 (WHQL) (2015/09/09)
- I don't use Bluetooth. But Should I install just in case?

Driver Package
ITBM driver V1.0.0.1025 (2016/06/29)
- doesn't work with 5960x right?

I know this is a no-brainer for some and I have survived several computers without having to worry, but I figured I should really do it properly and thought out this time 🙂

cekeu
Level 12
I had a R5E and my personal experience I installed the audio drivers, Windows Update for LAN, not had time to try Ai Suite 3.00.13 and Dip 1.05.14 on R5E, Windows Update for USB, RAMPAGE 5 Edition 10 for Intel Chipset, IRST, Wireless. Not the other utilities but all the other drivers.
I also updated the chipset drivers by Device Manager > system devices > Intel Series chipset Family by right-clicking and select Update

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I just install Chipset and MEI drivers and LAN. Realtek sound driver if you use onboard sound and asmedia for usb ports-

nothing will happen if you don´t install drivers for things you don´t use.

I never use wifi or bluetooth for instance and disable them in BIOS and don´t install drivers....unless you are using raid you don´t need intel irst etc

AI suite is the very definition of bloat to me hehe

You are probably right about AI Suite. I've just found it useful to adjust fans on the fly and sometimes clock a little even though that is very rare. I'm not sure if that tips the scale from negative to positive though.

I'm gonna skip the IRST too then, I never realized it was for Raid before.
What do you usually disable in BIOS btw?

Except the necessary drivers for GPU, Sound card and such, what do you guys always install straight after a fresh install by the way? You got any golden tips? 🙂

This Broadcom WIFI driver from lenovo works with the R5E and is a newer version than what the asus site offers

https://support.lenovo.com/de/en/downloads/ds103679

also, I usually leave the default Asmedia USB3.0 drivers installed because both the driver from windows update and the asus site make the ports unusable 😐
[ASMedia USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)]

Semireject wrote:
What do you usually disable in BIOS btw?

As I said...just anything Im not using...WiFi and Bluetooth controller being prime examples...

On clean install chipset mei and Lan from a pendrive...after that you can get everything online....GPU and sound driver...

And sure AI has some good functionality...I control fans in BIOS but the fan module is good in AI...people want a standalone version in fact...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
As I said...just anything Im not using...WiFi and Bluetooth controller being prime examples...

On clean install chipset mei and Lan from a pendrive...after that you can get everything online....GPU and sound driver...

And sure AI has some good functionality...I control fans in BIOS but the fan module is good in AI...people want a standalone version in fact...

Alright 🙂 Thank you!

Reason for asking is because I've been sloppy before and it's inspiring to hear what others do to keep it as clean as possible.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40