cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751-JY Blue Screen (not BSOD) advice needed - resolved for now?

Luke_Fitzpatric
Level 7
Hey folks,

3 year old G751-JY has run like a trooper, dragged daily around London running an architectural practise by day and feeding a gaming addiction by night. Shutting down 10 minutes ago it pulled this on me. Waits 20s then restarts.

Give it to me straight docs, what's the diagnosis and am I going laptop shopping? 😕

Cheers

G751-JY
I7-4870 HQ
32Gb Ram
GTX 980M
Latest drivers
3 REPLIES 3

Clintlgm
Level 14
Well your
G751 is about 3 years old now. so you might be ready to upgrade.
In the meantime most likely WU ran a driver upgrade for you and has your Nvidia card all screwed up. the solution is to first download the latest Asus approved version of NVidia drivers. that should get you back up and run. then you can download the latest from Nvidia website and give that driver a shot.
Our notebooks don't like all the WU native hardware drivers and from time to time we have to reinstall known good drivers.
If you have a pro version you can use GPEDIT to block all driver updates then manually upgrade your hardware drivers as needed and you know are safe buy what people on here are reporting.

Actually, you should have an Image stored on an external drive that you can restore that will tell you if your problem is software or hardware. If not for future reference Macrium Reflect is a very good program and the free version would save you from a problem like this.

If drivers don't fix you it is possible that a connection cable from screen to MB has become damaged or loosely connected? Any quality computer shop that works on Notebooks should be able to solve this for you if that is the issue. Beyond that, it's probably not worth repairing as MB are quite expensive.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Luke_Fitzpatric
Level 7
Hey Clint,

Appreciate the reply, rolled back and updated drivers which seems to have smoothed things over between me and the G series. Thanks for the program recommendations too, that'll be tomorrows job after catching up with today's work. Yeah 3 years is a good innings, I had a ball park replacement for this laptop for Summer but I'm thinking its time to get on with a replacement.

Cheers for the help mate!

Luke Fitzpatrick wrote:
Hey Clint,

Appreciate the reply, rolled back and updated drivers which seem
to have smoothed things over between me and the G series. Thanks for the program recommendations too, that'll be tomorrows job after catching up with today's work. Yeah 3 years is a good innings, I had a ball park replacement for this laptop for Summer but I'm thinking its time to get on with a replacement.

Cheers for the help mate!

you might want to wait a bit the G752vx seem to have some issues see the blue lady's(
DARNASSUS)
post She seems to be having a really bad time with here new G752vx and others. Were do for a new model soon not sure what that will be. But spend a little time on this forum and you'll see and know.
I usually change out every 3 years, this last time I just saw too many issues with the G751 and the G752VY seem to be the ones. I waited a year to get a good price on one and the got a 2-year warranty from Pro Advantage vendor if you buy Asus check with them for warranty I could have gotten 3 years but settled on the 2 yr. the offer was only good at the time they are actual Asus warranty just sold by Pro Advantage I couldn't find any other way through Asus and Asus recommended I purchase it there. my G75VW lasted 4 years plus for me and my sister is still using it.
I also recommend purchasing the Pro upgrade if it doesn't come with it. You get a lot better control over you computer gpedit is a wonderful thing and you'll have better control over you WU we need every advantage we can get in the battle of running windows 10
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro