cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G751-JY BIOS 211 NVMe Upgrade Guide Step by Step

chris_tronic
Level 9
Hello volks,
this guide was developed on the ground based work of Fernando in the WIN Raid Forums.
He developed the NVMe Support and the update procedures. Im very thankful and proud of Fernando's work.
Without it, we would never have NVMe support on our older generations Notebooks..

I recently modded my BIOS and now it supports the NVMe Protokoll.
I want to share some experience I made during modding my BIOS,
so that anyone who owns the G751 with an M.2 slot should get a NVMe drive to work.

I dont take any responsibility if you make modifications and somehow brick your BIOS.
I strongly recomment to decide yourself if you want do the BIOS Mod or not.

Its not quite difficult to mod the ASUS G751-JY BIOS. I will give you an easy Guide you can follow step by step.
My System is a G751-JY with 24GB of RAM Georce GTX 980m 4GB and Windows 7 prof. 64

OK, lets start.

What you need:
- actual BIOS Vers. 211 / if not yet installed, please download the Update from ASUS support and install it yousing Easy-Flash in the BIOS.
- AMI Firmware Updater (afuwin64) from AMI for Aptio 4
- MMTool for Aptio 4
- UEFITOOL_0.2.2.1
- EFI NVMe BIOS Module

You can find the actual downloads on the win-raid forums.
https://www.win-raid.com/t871f50-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-all-Systems-with-an-AMI-UEFI...
This guide was also done with the ground based work of fernando.
Please ask him for further support

1. First of all, downoad all the needed files into a new Folder and Name it "BiosMod"
2. Now we are going to make a copy of the present BIOS using afuwinx64. Start the AFUWINGUI
3. Hit the save Buttom and store your actual copy of your BIOS in a seperate Folder and name it afuwin.rom
4. Copy the afuwin.rom (your EFI BIOS without Capsule) to the MMTOOLs Folder
5. Start MMTooL and Load the afuwin.rom Image
6. Click "Create Report" and close MMTooL.
7. Now open UEfiTool_0.2.2.1 and load the afuwin.rom image by clicking "File" and "Open Immage file" and select
aufwin.rom
8. Now that you loaded your BIOS in Uefitools hit the "File" Buttom --> "Search" select "Text" and enter DXE in the searchfield
9. Hit "OK" and doubleclick at "interface section at offset Ch"
10 . Scroll down to the LANDriver DXE driver and click the right Mouse buttom and hit "Insert After..."
11. Select the "NvmExpressDxe_3.ffs
12. Now you have insert the DXE NVME driver Module in the free memory space below the LanDriver DXE Module. Now you Click "File" and "Save Image file..."
13. Save the new romfile and name it 211nvme.rom
14. Click "Yes" for Open reconstructed file? and parse again if the NVME Module is correctly installed between the LanDXE_Module and the free Space
15. Copy the new 211nvme.rom file to the MMTools Directory.
16. Start MMTool and load the new 211nvme.rom and click create Report. Close MMTool
17. Now you can open both the old afuwin.rpt Textfile and the new 211nvme.rpt Textfile and compare them.

18. Compare the afuwin.rpt and the 211nvme.rpt and you should get the same Text as I have

19. Now that we have checked everything, we are going to flash the new BIOS
20. Open afuwingui hit "Open" and select the "211nvme.rom file" Carefully look at the Lenght of the File it should have exactly 6.144KB as your afuwin.rom also.
Maybe the length could differ from BIOS to BIOS but i think it should be that value.

21. Now we are ready to Flash the new BIOS. Attach your powersupply and close all unneeded Programs
22. Hit the "Flash" buttom and enjoy your computer gets upgraded with NVMe support.

Now that we programed the new BIOS, you can attach a new NVMe SSD at the M.2 socket.
Notice: there is no Drive Listing in the PCIe SSD field or it even disappeared in the BIOS, but dont be afraid.
If the NVMe SSD is bootable, you should get a BOOT Option like I have: Windows Boot Manager.

Here is an overview of my HWInfo:

I hope you find this Guide useful. IF so, you can leave some comments.
Thanks also to the WinRaid Forum for Supporting me with the DXE Drivers.

If you want, feel free to contact me:
I can create check and send the modified 211nvme.rom Bios File file to you, if you send me your saved Bios with afuwin (valid only for G751having a PCIe x4 M.2) Than you only need to Flash the new Bios with AfuWin64 without to be afraid bricking your G751.
Just send my an E-Mail to: chris-tronic@gmx.de

Regards

Christian Karbe ( Informatic / Computer Enginneer)
[And again, if your unsure if you wanna do the Flash, better do not. I will not be responsible for any damage.

Have Fun

Christian
110 REPLIES 110

chris_tronic
Level 9
Here is a benchmark of the SM951 NVMe Win7

Here are some benchmarks of my new SM951 NVMe SSD.

7120871227 71207

As I supposed, the SSD read/write speed never tops 1661 MB/s . This is due to the Intel HM87 Chipset. It has only PCIe Gen. 2
The Intel HM87 specification clearly says that is only working with PCIe Gen 2.
The root port 5 shows only PCIe 2. So I cant understand the post from Aeolisio.
He clearly shows its working with Gen 3. Im really baffeled.. Is this a miracle or a Photoshop fraud...

This picture seems to be a miracle... I cant believe ...

Gps3dx
Level 12
Nice guide !
well done ! 😮
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Thanks for the awesome guide with all those details.
Do you have a direct link for the MMTool?
When I visit the link you provided I can only access documents about it, not the actual download for MMTool.

Thanks.

Hello, here are the links ,

AFUWIN64 http://voltground.com/vbioses/AFUWIN64_v3.05.04.zip
MMTOOL Aptio 4 voltground.com/vbioses/MMTOOL_v4.50.zip
AMIBCP Aptio 4 http://voltground.com/vbioses/AMIBCP_v4.53.zip

I can create check and send the modified 211nvme.rom Bios File file to you, if you send me your saved Bios with afuwin (valid only for G751having a PCIe x4 M.2) Than you only need to Flash the new Bios with AfuWin64 without to be afraid bricking your G751.
Just send my an E-Mail to: chris-tronic@gmx.de

Regards

Christian Karbe ( Informatic / Computer Enginneer)

Thank you very much for the instruction. After the modification of the BIOS, the laptop will support the M2 Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb (MZ-V6P512BW)?

If you have a G751 with M.2 PCIe x4 socket...
Yes, it should be bootable as Boot Option. The Drive itself wont show up as PCIe Drive, but its defenitly present. Make it bootable or install an OS supporting NVMe Drives.. Notice: Win7 and older won't support NVMe..if so, you must install the SAMSUNG NVMe Driver by Hand first, before clone the system onto the new NVMe Drive.
But you won't get the full speed, as i already mentioned... The HM87 Chipset only supports Gen2... so maximum would be 1600 MB/s read and write.
Thats the G751 bottleneck.... what a pity..
Regards

Chris

Thanks so much for this guide and all the links to the tools.

I managed to do all the steps and it still boots after flashing, and a subsequent dump and report of the now-running bios shows the NvmExpressDxe_3 as present.

I'll be visiting a friend of mine who is getting a brand new 960 Evo 256gb and is allowing me to test a boot up and install with it. I'll report back to let you know how it goes.

i know it will boot up... keep me informed..

Good that you try to make the mod... than this guide wasnt for nothing..

Greets

Chris