Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Trying to do nvme4 mod

Hi all, nice that threads as this one exist to extend the possibilities of our somewhat older notebooks!

I followed the intial guide of this thread by chris_tronic with the tools mentioned by Kinomoto in message of 03-29-2020, 08:15 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bios.PNG 
Views:	0 
Size:	156.1 KB 
ID:	84554

I am able to get to this point where the nvme driver is added, but then I started reading things (https://www.win-raid.com/t5004f16-Sp...-notebook.html ) about this bios about pading files (in my case there is clearly an aditional padding file) and that the bios needs to be unlocked... and that it will brick my unit if I use my modified file based on the initial guide here in this thread.

So can I use the guide initialy discribed in this thread without problems for v213 bios (G751JY I7 4860HQ that came with the original ACHI Samsung MZHPU512HCGL 0004 XP941 512GB M.2 oem ssd) or which specific procedure i should follow/do for v213 bios?

Thanks in advance!

ROG Member Array

I found out the padding files do not appear with the NvmExpressDxe_Small module (https://www.win-raid.com/t871f50-Gui...UEFI-BIOS.html). Also Aptio MMtool does not want to insert the normal (non small) nvme4 version so the problem i guess is that the nvme 4 normal driver version is to big to be added, but UefiTool does not throw an error for that but Aptio MMtool does. For the small nvme driver resulting modded image with Aptio MMtool and UefiTool is the same.

Attachment 84563

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

I’ve never seen anyone make this work correctly. Seen one user a few years back get it to run but slower then the original AHCI drive that was in it. This model was just released at a bad time M2 had just been released but NVME didnt happen for several months later and is fully supported in G752 models. I tried myself as I have both models and best I ever got was it to boot with crappy performance. There was a Samsung OEM AHCI drive that came close to the NVME performance but not quite. Haven’t looked in a while but last time I did they were very hard to come by.*

ROG Member Array

Running out of disk space

Quote Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
    I’ve never seen anyone make this work correctly. Seen one user a few years back get it to run but slower then the original AHCI drive that was in it. This model was just released at a bad time M2 had just been released but NVME didnt happen for several months later and is fully supported in G752 models. I tried myself as I have both models and best I ever got was it to boot with crappy performance. There was a Samsung OEM AHCI drive that came close to the NVME performance but not quite. Haven’t looked in a while but last time I did they were very hard to come by.*
    Thanks for your reply I bought the notebook with the Samsung OEM 512GB AHCI m.2 SSD you mentioned, but I am running out of space so therefore I am looking to what what the upgrade possibilities are for the m.2 slot...

Name:	ssd.png 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	84581

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by SnowG View Post
    Hi all, nice that threads as this one exist to extend the possibilities of our somewhat older notebooks!

I followed the intial guide of this thread by chris_tronic with the tools mentioned by Kinomoto in message of 03-29-2020, 08:15 PM.

I am able to get to this point where the nvme driver is added, but then I started reading things (https://www.win-raid.com/t5004f16-Sp...-notebook.html ) about this bios about pading files (in my case there is clearly an aditional padding file) and that the bios needs to be unlocked... and that it will brick my unit if I use my modified file based on the initial guide here in this thread.

So can I use the guide initialy discribed in this thread without problems for v213 bios (G751JY I7 4860HQ that came with the original ACHI Samsung MZHPU512HCGL 0004 XP941 512GB M.2 oem ssd) or which specific procedure i should follow/do for v213 bios?

Thanks in advance!
    You know that anytime you fool with your BIOS you could brick your notebook. I would PM the original aurthor of this thread for advice. Asus does not recomend or support any BIOS modifaction and will not support you with this at all.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

ROG Member Array m33ts4k0z PC Specs
    m33ts4k0z PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Prime B-365 Plus
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance 32GB @ 3200MHz
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti
    Sound CardAsus ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo 7.1
    MonitorBenQ 32" BL3201PT 4K
    Storage #1Samsung NVMe SSD 950 PRO 512GB
    Storage #2Western Digital Black 1TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro H100X
    CaseFractal Design Define R5
    Power SupplyFractal Design Newton R3 1000W Platinum
    Keyboard Logitech G915 Lightspeed
    Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
    Headset Sennheiser GSP 600
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QcK Edge - Large
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterASUS AC-88U w/ ASUS Merlin

Quote Originally Posted by SnowG View Post

Thanks in advance!
    Hello,

I know this is 1.5 month old but I just wanted to let everyone know that I installed the nvme 4 module linked by Kinomoto and followed the exact same instructions as from the first post and everything worked perfectly fine.

I'm using BIOS 213 and the non-small nvme 4 module file. I tested a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB from my main computer just to test the nvme support and it booted directly without any issues so the instructions and procedure are still good.

The laptop is a G751-JY
    Last edited by m33ts4k0z; 05-27-2020 at 01:16 AM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by m33ts4k0z View Post
    Hello,

I know this is 1.5 month old but I just wanted to let everyone know that I installed the nvme 4 module linked by Kinomoto and followed the exact same instructions as from the first post and everything worked perfectly fine.

I'm using BIOS 213 and the non-small nvme 4 module file. I tested a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB from my main computer just to test the nvme support and it booted directly without any issues so the instructions and procedure are still good.

The laptop is a G751-JY
    Thanks for the update.
    Do you know what Asus added in the 213 Bios update that was not in the 211 Bios?

ROG Member Array m33ts4k0z PC Specs
    m33ts4k0z PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Prime B-365 Plus
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 8700K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Vengeance 32GB @ 3200MHz
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti
    Sound CardAsus ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo 7.1
    MonitorBenQ 32" BL3201PT 4K
    Storage #1Samsung NVMe SSD 950 PRO 512GB
    Storage #2Western Digital Black 1TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro H100X
    CaseFractal Design Define R5
    Power SupplyFractal Design Newton R3 1000W Platinum
    Keyboard Logitech G915 Lightspeed
    Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
    Headset Sennheiser GSP 600
    Mouse Pad SteelSeries QcK Edge - Large
    OS Windows 10 Pro
    Network RouterASUS AC-88U w/ ASUS Merlin

Quote Originally Posted by feihtthief View Post
    Thanks for the update.
    Do you know what Asus added in the 213 Bios update that was not in the 211 Bios?
    I didn't bother to look after update notes other than the single line that Asus provides: Optimize system performance

But you can certainly dig a bit deeper and compare the generated reports from the MMTool in order to see if something new was added.

But since this laptop will hardly get any more BIOS updates, I believe it's worth upgrading the BIOS and doing the process once more. It only took me about 10 minutes anyway.

Moderator Array

Hi m33ts4k0z,

It's never too late to share good news about update! And thanks the first post for sharing the instructions with the folks!

New ROGer Array

Slow m2

Hi guys,
    Appreciate all the hard work.
    The drive I got is ADATA SX8200pro 1TB, supposed to reach average 2300 read, 1800 write, I assume should be limited by pcie2.0x4. I have an issue with low bandwidth, after modding bios 213 with either nvme dxe 3 or 4, I have just 800 MB/s read/write. I have tried benchmarking from windows (Crystalmark), and from ubuntu disk manager benchmark, identical result. I have also tried removing all my drives and testing just the nvme drive from ubuntu on a USB stick. Tried using intel nvme driver instead of MS one under windows (I used intel 760p one, it has the same controller as SX8200pro). Windows installed on a SATA SSD in master slot, GPT partition table. Disabled legacy boot/secure boot in BIOS. Seems similar to what @Kliszczak got.

Name:	xtaldiscmark.jpg 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	85407

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast