cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New build -- Black screen -- Looking for advice

dominickcarlson
Level 7
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the ROG forums and I'm not SUPER computer savvy so go easy on me.
My past builds have always gone smoothly so I'm fortunate. 😛

My best friend has been buying parts for a new PC build and we finished putting it together last night. We're having an issue but first I feel I should list the build:
ROG Maximus X Hero Wi-Fi
I7-8700
Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz 16gb
NVidia Titan XP Jedi Edition
NZXT h700i Case
NZXT Kraken x62 cooling
Dell 144hz gsync monitor
2x 500gb Samsung SSD
1 256gb Samsung SSD (OS)

Here is what is happening:
When we power it on everything lights up, it appears to clear POST but the error display screen on the Maximus X shows an A2 error code. I've read that error is an "IDE Detect" error. My big question is, would this error cause nothing to display on the monitor?

The SSDs are brand new and have no OS on them so it would make sense there is nothing for the PC to boot with. I'm just curious if we should be looking at something else.

Should we try to see if we can get to the BIOS when we start it up? I'm mostly just looking for suggestions on what to check as we cannot get anything to show up on the monitor. Any and all advice is appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

kkn
Level 14
bios is the only place you can get to when there are no OS instaled on the drive/drives.
pull all drives and only use the drive you are going to instal OS on and place it in the recomended slot ( look in manual ).
is OS on usb or cd? you need to get in to bios first to choose UEFI and the place where the OS is instaled on ( USB drive or dvd/bd drive ) and boot up from that.
be shure to connect/populate all the power connectors on the motherboard, same with the gPU.
what sort of cable you using for the monitor? ( display cable or HDMI or D-DVI? )

kkn wrote:
bios is the only place you can get to when there are no OS instaled on the drive/drives.
pull all drives and only use the drive you are going to instal OS on and place it in the recomended slot ( look in manual ).
is OS on usb or cd? you need to get in to bios first to choose UEFI and the place where the OS is instaled on ( USB drive or dvd/bd drive ) and boot up from that.
be shure to connect/populate all the power connectors on the motherboard, same with the gPU.
what sort of cable you using for the monitor? ( display cable or HDMI or D-DVI? )

Thanks for the response. We're using an HDMI cable and switched to another one that we confirmed works just to rule that out. I didn't realize there was a specific SATA port for the OS SSD so I'll confirm that is plugged in correctly tonight. The OS is on a USB we formatted it last night, we're just trying to figure out how to get something to show up on the monitor. Everything that needs power is hooked up and we have a 1000 watt PSU so that shouldn't be the problem. I'll try these and hopefully give a successful report later.

Thanks again!