cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard LED Aura conectors, am I doing something wrong?

Brighttail
Level 11
Got my new motherblock. With it came a new LED strip. My first LED strip plugged into the motherboard and showed Red and Green but not blue. I ordered a new LED strip for it before I broke the monoblock.

Well today got the new monoblock that had a new LED strip. Installed it and all is good, except I plug in the LED strip to the same motherboard RGB header and nothing. I tried the other RGB header. Nothing. I tried the new RGB strip in both RGB ports. Nothing. I tried the old LED strip in both places, it works except no blue. I plugged in my case lights to the motherboard, they all work except Green. I plug a new LED RGB case light strip, that works fine with Aura on both headers.

So I'm concluding I got two dead LED strips which is quite coincidental but possible. I have the latest Aura software but even without it, if I plug in anything to those RGB headers they should reflect at least the colour cycle of the RGB on the motherboard.

Am I missing anything? I've emailed EK about getting a new strip.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop
9 REPLIES 9

Beto556
Level 9
Coincidentally I installed today the first beta of AURA (1.05.32.02).

It's working perfectly but before, I took some care:

1- Check the BIOS if the LEDs are enabled. I don't have LED strip but my setup is:

a) BIOS/ADVANCED/Rog Effects = ON
b) BIOS/ADVANCED/ONBOARD DEVICE CONFIGURATION/RGB LIGHTING SYSTEM
- When sys is on = ON
- when sys is sleep = OFF

2. Uninstall the program GSkill MEM LED and then pass CCleaner (if you had already installed the old version of AURA may be that the problem. Even doing all the procedures to delete files, directories and services nothing else worked right).

I had to do a fresh install of my WIN10

3- Install AURA with administrator privileges (after running with the same privileges)

4- Try to calibrate strip on AURA software

Note: Even the motherboard LEDs working synchronized, the program does not let me disable the LEDs on the motherboard (the button is not lit in the program)

I hope I've helped

Beto556 wrote:
Coincidentally I installed today the first beta of AURA (1.05.32.02).

It's working perfectly but before, I took some care:

1- Check the BIOS if the LEDs are enabled. I don't have LED strip but my setup is:

a) BIOS/ADVANCED/Rog Effects = ON
b) BIOS/ADVANCED/ONBOARD DEVICE CONFIGURATION/RGB LIGHTING SYSTEM
- When sys is on = ON
- when sys is sleep = OFF

2. Uninstall the program GSkill MEM LED and then pass CCleaner (if you had already installed the old version of AURA may be that the problem. Even doing all the procedures to delete files, directories and services nothing else worked right).

I had to do a fresh install of my WIN10

3- Install AURA with administrator privileges (after running with the same privileges)

4- Try to calibrate strip on AURA software

Note: Even the motherboard LEDs working synchronized, the program does not let me disable the LEDs on the motherboard (the button is not lit in the program)

I hope I've helped

I uninstalled it and used the Aura cleaner that the admin suggest we use. Quite literally this monoblock has a strip of 7 LEDs. The old strip works, unplug it and plug in the new ones (both new LED strips) and they don't. I did try to calibrate and such, but nothing comes up. I'm thinking it is the strips as they are a different kind than the original. We'll see what EK has to say.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

Brighttail
Level 11
Well it turns out that EK changed from 12v non-addressable RGB lights to 5v addressable RGB lights and didn't warn me. The replacement LEDs had NOTHING that said that they were now 5 volt RGBs. The new monoblock did have it in their included instructions but because I was just replacing the block, I didn't read them as i thought it was the identical block.

In the end I fried both RGB LED strips because I plugged the 5v LEDs into a 12v header. I reached out to EK who hasn't responded yet. I can take the hit on the monoblock one, cause I didn't read the instructions but the replacement RGBs had no instructions or any indication they were 5v instead of 12v. I'm hoping they will replace them.

Anyway if you bought one of the original monoblocks that has four wires from the LEDs that is the 12v version. The one with 3 wires is the 5v. Just beware.

Brighttail wrote:
Well it turns out that EK changed from 12v non-addressable RGB lights to 5v addressable RGB lights and didn't warn me. The replacement LEDs had NOTHING that said that they were now 5 volt RGBs. The new monoblock did have it in their included instructions but because I was just replacing the block, I didn't read them as i thought it was the identical block.

In the end I fried both RGB LED strips because I plugged the 5v LEDs into a 12v header. I reached out to EK who hasn't responded yet. I can take the hit on the monoblock one, cause I didn't read the instructions but the replacement RGBs had no instructions or any indication they were 5v instead of 12v. I'm hoping they will replace them.

Anyway if you bought one of the original monoblocks that has four wires from the LEDs that is the 12v version. The one with 3 wires is the 5v. Just beware.

:eek:

Brighttail wrote:

I contacted EK because some of the LED's in my (original version) block were DOA out of the box. When I received my DHL package (took 2 days - awesome customer service) there were 3 bags in there with LED strips. They all looked different; cable length, strip width and length. Then for some reason I got a second package this week from them with 3 more bags of LED strips. Again, all different.

Not sure what the hell is going on or what I'm supposed to use but I now have 6 LED strips. I guess I'll have to match up with what's already installed in the Block.

Brighttail
Level 11
Yeah...in the end they offered to give me the RGB strip for free 4.99 Euros but asked me to pay the shipping, 14.99 Euros. I did it but I'm not happy about it. Support has always gotten back to me in good time, but you'd have thought when I first bought the replacement LEDS, contacting support about the issue mind you, that their support might have said, "OH BTW we changed the LED strip from 12v to 5v". It is something they had to know would be an issue, an issue that could kill many LEDs because people didn't know about the change. I'd hate to think that they purposely were being coy about it to sell more. 😕

Brighttail wrote:
Yeah...in the end they offered to give me the RGB strip for free 4.99 Euros but asked me to pay the shipping, 14.99 Euros. I did it but I'm not happy about it. Support has always gotten back to me in good time, but you'd have thought when I first bought the replacement LEDS, contacting support about the issue mind you, that their support might have said, "OH BTW we changed the LED strip from 12v to 5v". It is something they had to know would be an issue, an issue that could kill many LEDs because people didn't know about the change. I'd hate to think that they purposely were being coy about it to sell more. 😕

15 Euros for shipping?? That's nuts.

Well if you need an extra I've got 5 now lol. I'm assuming since you've ordered from Dazmode you're either in the GTA or somewhere else in Canada.

I saw the following on their page for this block:

"Another 4-pin RGB LED strip is included in the box that can connect to the motherboard's 4-pin LED header (if supported) or it can be connected to any other 4-pin LED controller."

I don't ever recall getting a second LED strip with my Block. I pre-ordered mine directly from them in September.

Homewrecker wrote:
15 Euros for shipping?? That's nuts.

Well if you need an extra I've got 5 now lol. I'm assuming since you've ordered from Dazmode you're either in the GTA or somewhere else in Canada.

I saw the following on their page for this block:

"Another 4-pin RGB LED strip is included in the box that can connect to the motherboard's 4-pin LED header (if supported) or it can be connected to any other 4-pin LED controller."

I don't ever recall getting a second LED strip with my Block. I pre-ordered mine directly from them in September.

Well I just checked my box and there is no second LED strip. The original 4 pin LED strip had a second problem with a cable that was too short. You had to feed it through the armour on the board to the head in the bottom which BARELY fit and took a lot if finagling to get in. The 3 pin LED has a cable that is plenty long tho.

Homewrecker
Level 9
I didn't have to run my original LED cable under the Armour. I just plugged it into one of RGB Headers at the top close to where the CPU Fan Header is.