cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sonic Studio 3 Audio dropouts and stutters when gaming.

richac
Level 7
So for a while now I wasn't able to put my pc to suspend because upon resuming I would get audio pops, for example if listening to music and browsing was very annoying. I thought had problems with board and usb issues or static.

But now with the latest drivers, its gotten worse, and it turns out its been sonic studio all along. Now I'm getting bad stuttering, audio dropouts, and sometimes bad hanging almost crashing when gaming in battlefield 1. BF1 has become unplayable for me when using sonic studio.

I should add I'm using headphones. And that sometimes sonic studio will just crash when clicking advanced mode. I also use standard windows account to game on. And noticed that audio drivers will not install properly unless installed from windows admin account, even with run as admin option. Also there is no prompt for user to reboot after its done installing. It just exits.

I have reinstalled a fresh copy of windows updated all drivers and bios. I'm still having the issue.

If I don't load sonic studio before loading the game. I get no issues at all and game runs great.

This is disappointing because sonic studio does indeed increase the clarity/quality and 3d effect of the game. Known issue? Any solutions or settings I should try?

i7-7700k
strix b250f gaming
960 evo 500gb m.2
32 gb
evga super nova g3 750 watt
NVidia 1070

Thanks,

Rich.
45 REPLIES 45

richac
Level 7
went back a couple versions to the 8090 drivers. seems to be working fine now. I think the 8158 and especially the 8273 are giving me issues.

In fact when I installed that 8273 I felt like there was not even enough bass. Sure enough, with these 8090 drivers, a much fuller sound. Nice bass now, sounds like it should, even though sonic studio 3 presets are all at the same levels. And most importantly bf1 is not feeling like its going to crash with audio dropouts and weird stutters when clicking mouse or keyboard.

Hope Asus looks into why the newer drivers aren't working right.

Rich.

richac
Level 7
Turns out I was wrong, after a reboot this morning. The problem is back. I guess I just can't use sonic studio. Maybe it has to do with the latest bios and MS patches. not sure... But I guess I can't use sonic studio with bf1 anymore that's for sure.

Nate152
Hi richac

Title changed. 🙂

Is the problem only with BF1?

I don't have that game to test but, I'm using the Maximus IX Code (z270) with the latest bios and windows 10 FCU fully updated and Sonic Studio 3 is working ok here.

Try uninstalling Sonic Studio 3 from programs, then go to your downloads and click on the extracted file. Scroll down to "Setup" (Not ASUS Setup) and install it again, you should get the prompt to reboot.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi richac

Title changed. 🙂

Is the problem only with BF1?

I don't have that game to test but, I'm using the Maximus IX Code (z270) with the latest bios and windows 10 FCU fully updated and Sonic Studio 3 is working ok here.

Try uninstalling Sonic Studio 3 from programs, then go to your downloads and click on the extracted file. Scroll down to "Setup" (Not ASUS Setup) and install it again, you should get the prompt to reboot.

No I also get audio pops when listening to music. quite annoying. If I listen to music from admin account no issues. Happens with windows media player, edge, chrome. It seems to randombly coincide with when I'm clicking with mouse and keyboard. I originally thought it was a usb static issue. tried diff keyboards and mice, diff ports. Buts definitely sonic studio issue.

If I try to uninstall sonic studio and try to install as non admin, I will get an error message telling me to "install your audio driver first" . It seems it can only be installed as admin, and can only be run as admin.

Are you using sonic studio from a standard user account? and no issues?

I have also installed a fresh copy of windows, which didn't help.

I'm also using a Microsoft account to log in. I also changed this account to standard user and created an admin account after windows install and updating and installing drivers. I can't imagine this could be the reason though? I guess I could change my MS login account back to admin and make the other one standard user and see if it still happens with that account as user.

Only problem with that though is then I can't install apps from the appstore is my understanding? I'd have to use them as admin user?

Just doesn't seem sane to run anything as admin anymore in this day and age. I don't remember having to do this with thx tru studio on my old machine. But I can't remember...

richac
Level 7
ok, so when I changed my ms login standard user account to admin. and made my local admin account standard user. It didn't have the same issues.

So now i'm not sure if this has to do with the fact I'm using an Microsoft standard user account?

Or that fact that I installed windows updates with that account before changing it to a standard user?

I don't use any credit card info with that account and only use free apps. But I'd hate to have that account as admin since i'm sure the password is so easily stolen. Not sure what I should do here.

I can infact still install store apps without logging in as an MS account. it just prompts me for the credentials. So Should I just reinstall windows and only use local accounts? making sure not to change their account types after updating? Ugh...

I should add that I have reinstalled the audio drivers after changing the account types. But it didn't make a difference.

Out of curiosity, is your standard user account, a Microsoft login account?

EDIT: I changed the account types back. not hearing the problem now on the MS account as standard user. But, its too early to tell. Might have to wait after a reboot or suspend. I guess I could run everything as admin, since that password is probably trival to get or escalate anyways. But I just always worry about that random guy from accidentally clicking some random bad link.

richac
Level 7
Issue came back after a resume from suspend.

richac
Level 7
Ya whether its a local or MS login account doesn't matter. Doesn't matter either if I make the account admin and reinstall the audio drivers then put it back to standard.

Turns out I have to run as admin on the account I updated windows and installed drivers for daily use if I don't want any issues when using sonic studio 3 for music and gaming.... I contacted asus but they never got back to me. When googling I see many complaints about the software, so I don't have my hopes up. Most people just uninstall it, but I guess I'm an audiophile because I can't live without it, and I don't want to buy another soundcard. I did use a usb soundcard at first when I got this board but felt it was too expensive and not much better then my onboard. But Never did I expect this kind of problem with the onboard sound.

I don't use this pc for anything very sensitive but this is crazy in this day and age ro run as admin for daily activities. And ironic since asus were the first to patch firmware for meltdown and spectre. Go figure...

Nate152
No, I didn't have to install or run Sonic Studio 3 as an administrator, when installing just click "setup", let it do its thing and reboot.

richac
Level 7
Your account is shown there as administrator? Which makes sense cause it can't be installed or run, unless run as admin... I think this is part of the reason its such a common problem on asus boards, more so then other vendors. Cause when using a gigabyte or dell board I never had to run thx trustudio as admin.

But These issues can also be cause by firmware problems, or driver problems.

And what I've determined in my case. Its most likely a hardware issue. Because even without sonic suite installed, and no matter what version of realtek driver, After a resume from sleep I would get the issues or after a couple reboots I would get the issue. So what I did now was clear the cmos and turn fastboot off from within windows. So far this fixed the issue of listening to music while browsing. And it the made issue very hard to notice when playing bf1. But before I can consider this issue fixed I will have to give it some time. The issue is still there and I think when games start using more of my cpu I will eventually have to buy a usb sound card to avoid the issue in the future.

Its Ironic I bought an asus board cause I didn't want a gigabyte board with the killer network card, but never did I imagine I'd have more problems with the asus onboard sound card....

Here how common this issue is.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?44753-RIVBE-SupremeFX-Audio-crackle/page3\

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?97220-Maximus-X-Audio-Popping/page9

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93643-Asus-Strix-Z270E-wont-Wake-UP-after-Sleep-and-sound-...

Also can you explain to me why all the text on this forum has turned to some form of chinese or japanese? haha is someone playing a joke on me? Am I on the asian version of this site?