cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Lockup After 3502 BIOS Update

XxTripleBeamxX
Level 7
I'm running a ROG Crosshair VI Hero mobo, Ryzen 1700x CPU on Windows 10 x64. Today I noticed a BIOS update for my mobo, BIOS 3502. I was currently running BIOS 3008. After installing the new BIOS update I restart my pc go back into BIOS and put all of my settings back to how I had them. Problem I'm having is after about 30 seconds to a minute of entering my desktop my pc locks up and after about 10 seconds it restarts. I messed around with the BIOS settings to the point I reinstalled default settings but no matter what it keeps locking up on me. I figured it was the new BIOS so I flash backed to 3008 and now that to is doing the same thing. Anyone having any similar issues or can help me get my pc up and running?
24 REPLIES 24

Nate152
Hi XxTripleBeamXx

It could possibly be a hardware issue if the freezing still occurs after reverting the bios and resetting to defaults. Alot of times freezing can be a ram issue, have you tried with just 1 stick ? Another thing that can cause freezing is an under powered psu.

Please list your complete pc specs and all usb devices connected so others know what you're working with.

I'm thinking it may be something to do with Windows or possibly Samsung Wizard for my 850 Evo SSD which the OS is installed on, I've noticed during boot up on the desktop that once I see the Samsung Wizard icon pop up on my task bar that is when my pc locks up. Right now I am making a Windows media on a thumb drive using my wife's pc and am going to reinstall Windows (if my pc cooperates) but am up for suggestions on what I can do to fix this without reinstalling Windows.
My PC specs are
Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero Mobo
Ryzen 1700x CPU
Corsair H100i V2 Liquid Cooler
Asus ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1070 GPU
LEPA MaxBron 1000 Watt PSU
Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD
16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz Memory

Just to update I attempted to do a reinstall using Windows Recovery since my pc wasn't shutting down right I would get sent to recovery during boot up. During the recovery process (complete wipe of the drive of my files and a reinstall) I would get a BSOD. I attempted multiple times with same result so I guess my last resort is doing a media reinstall.

Syaoran
Level 7
3502 requires a lot more voltage than previous BIOS's, at least in my experience. If you are used to running your RAM at around 1.4v, then kick it up to 1.45v. That should help iron that out. Mine takes 1.46 for 32GB at 3500MHz RAM at C15. The RAM is rated for 3600 C15 but it seems to get further and further out of reach with each new BIOS.
Syaoran

Thing is, I flash backed to 3008 and had the same issue where before I flashed the 3502 Bios my pc was running fine.
I was able to reformat my ssd drive and reinstall Windows but I am being plagued with BSOD's.

XxTripleBeamxX wrote:
Thing is, I flash backed to 3008 and had the same issue where before I flashed the 3502 Bios my pc was running fine.
I was able to reformat my ssd drive and reinstall Windows but I am being plagued with BSOD's.

Sounds like your system is running with very unstable conditions. Adding your bios settings here will go a long way. Also use the stilt's tool for actual timings out put.

I thought the same thing so I set the default setting and still had the same problem.

XxTripleBeamxX wrote:
I thought the same thing so I set the default setting and still had the same problem.

the default settings don't always work well.

Use the stilt's tool to give an output of what setting you have applied for now. you can also screenie your voltage settings by inserting a fat32 formatted usb stick, and then use F12 to drop a screen dump onto it.

XxTripleBeamxX wrote:

Did you do flash CORRECTLY? I mean apply BIOS default BEFORE flash, clear CMOS, flash, for safety apply BIOS defaults and clear CMOS after?
I have never heard anybody f... up flashback using this method. I heard cases when it behaved weid if not done in this way.

BlackBishop wrote:
Did you do flash CORRECTLY? I mean apply BIOS default BEFORE flash, clear CMOS, flash, for safety apply BIOS defaults and clear CMOS after?
I have never heard anybody f... up flashback using this method. I heard cases when it behaved weid if not done in this way.

You should always double flash this board. I have found I have had a lot less issues from double flashing. It's just too bad they can't get these BIOS's sorted. They should be getting better, not worse!
Syaoran