cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus X hero cold boot issue

Helgrind92
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I have recently built my new PC and I have been noticing a strange problem with it. Everytime I do a cold start (like the first time I power up the PC every day), my PC starts into BIOS instead of windows, and my Samsung 960 EVO is not detected in BIOS. As soon as I reboot my PC from this state, everything works fine.

I really have no clue about what to do or try! I already updated my BIOS to the latest version with no luck..

Full PC Specs:
maximus X hero
16gb trident z rgb
samsung 960evo 500gb
corsair rm650x
asus strix 1080Ti gaming
kraken x62

I hope someone will be able to give me new ideas about a possible fix!
6 REPLIES 6

Deepcuts
Level 10
Have the same components and did not see this behavior.
In Advanced\Onboard Devices Configuration have you setup M.2_1 Configuration to PCIE mode?
Or M.2_1 at X4 bandwidth if you have your SSD in M.2_2.

Raja
Level 13
1) if the system is overclocked, set it back to defaults and see if it still occurs.

2) Update the board to the latest UEFI version.

3) Makes sure the drive is running the latest Samsung firmware.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
1) if the system is overclocked, set it back to defaults and see if it still occurs.

2) Update the board to the latest UEFI version.

3) Makes sure the drive is running the latest Samsung firmware.

1) Happens with default clocks too 😕
2) using the latest version 1003
3) using the latest nvme driver and firmware from samsung

Deepcuts wrote:
Have the same components and did not see this behavior.
In Advanced\Onboard Devices Configuration have you setup M.2_1 Configuration to PCIE mode?
Or M.2_1 at X4 bandwidth if you have your SSD in M.2_2.

I will check for the M.2_1 mode and see on the next cold boot!

Menthol
Level 14
Do you turn off power to the power supply when you turn the system off? Not that this should make your drive disappear but can cause a dual boot
Personally I let my system sleep and only turn off for maintenance

Have a simmilar issue, but it seems that my 960 EVO completely died.

Last night it booted normaly, I was working for a hour or two on it and then left it running while I went outside. Hour later when I returned, the screens were off so I thought it is power saving. When neither mouse or keyboard activity didn't wake it up, I noticed that HDD light is blinking with high frequency. Powering computer off and restarting it, I was stuck on ROG bios splash screen, again with light blinking and unable to enter bios. Couple more power cycles and I finally entered bios, just to noticed that 960 EVO is not recognized anymore. Tried switching it to second M.2 slot (the one further from CPU) and it behave the same. Finally I gave up, removed 960 EVO and plugged in an old SSD with windows instalation - it booted without problem. After that I updated BIOS to 1003, reinstalled 960 EVO, but the story repeated.

System is a month old and it was overclocked to 4.7GHz all cores (MTE didn't work properly for me when I upgraded from stock bios to 801).

Any suggestions what else can I try before sending drive back?

CPU: 8700k
MP: Hero X
RAM: Vengeance 3200 CL15 16GB
GPU: Strix 970
Cooler: Noctua ND15S
PSU: CM SilentPro Gold 700W

Menthol wrote:
Do you turn off power to the power supply when you turn the system off? Not that this should make your drive disappear but can cause a dual boot
Personally I let my system sleep and only turn off for maintenance

I only power off the PC normally from windows and never touch my power supply if not doing maintenance to my system.

I have set my M.2_1 to PCIe from AUTO now. Yesterday and todays boot went fine but I will see all week long how it goes 🙂