Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    42

    Rampage VI Optimal Storage Configuration

    Hey all,

    Excited to be installing my Rampage VI this weekend. I mostly game, edits videos, and work in CAD on my computer. What do you think is an optimal storage configuration that uses the Rampage capabilities (hyper m.2 card, DIMM.2, VROC?) to their fullest? I plan on using two raided SSDs for my scratch disk and four raided HDDs for long-term project storage.

    But where do I stick all my m.2 drives and how do I configure them for the best OS and game/application drive setup?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array G75rog PC Specs
    G75rog PC Specs
    MotherboardR VI Apex
    ProcessorI9-7900X
    Memory (part number)64GB Gskill Trident Z
    Graphics Card #1AMD Radeon VII EKWB water block
    Graphics Card #2Waste of PCI lanes in NVME environment
    Sound CardStock
    MonitorLG 34" Ultra Wide3440x1440
    Storage #14ea 960 Pro 2TB, 2ea 970 Evo 2TB
    Storage #21ea 960 Pro 1 TB, 1ea 970 Pro 1TB
    CPU CoolerEKWB CPU, Swiftech Res/pump, 400mm Rad
    CaseThermaltake View 91
    Power SupplyNZXT Hale 90 1200W
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Razer Ouroboros
    OS W10 64 1809, 1903, Ubuntu Linux
    Network RouterNetgear R9000 + 4ea R9000 AP's, 10 Gb Switch
    Accessory #1 Hyper M.2 X16 V2
    Accessory #2 10GB network via Intel 550 Nic
    Accessory #3 2 10GB Asustor NAS 7000 series

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    282

    7900X Apex here with a 1tb 960 pro on a dimm for OS and 4 2tb 960 pro's on a hyper x16 card in data mode for apps, games, usenet, and work space. All long term is on 2 Asustor NAS's. The 5 computers in the house are 100% ssd with no spinner hdd allowed. Installed a vroc key but it's useless with the 960s. Ran a Win raid with 2 of the 2tb's and the speed was nice but, for my use it wasn't really needed since the 960s are so fast anyway and went back to singles.

    I have a second dimm loaded with a cloned backup OS.
    Last edited by G75rog; 02-03-2018 at 12:00 AM.

  3. #3
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    42

    Quote Originally Posted by G75rog View Post
    7900X Apex here with a 1tb 960 pro on a dimm for OS and 4 2tb 960 pro's on a hyper x16 card in data mode for apps, games, usenet, and work space. All long term is on 2 Asustor NAS's. The 5 computers in the house are 100% ssd with no spinner hdd allowed. Installed a vroc key but it's useless with the 960s. Ran a Win raid with 2 of the 2tb's and the speed was nice but, for my use it wasn't really needed since the 960s are so fast anyway and went back to singles.

    I have a second dimm loaded with a cloned backup OS.
    Awesome, thanks. When you say you have a second dimm loaded with a cloned backup OS, what do you mean? Like a second dimm that is not in the machine but can be swapped in if necessary?

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array G75rog PC Specs
    G75rog PC Specs
    MotherboardR VI Apex
    ProcessorI9-7900X
    Memory (part number)64GB Gskill Trident Z
    Graphics Card #1AMD Radeon VII EKWB water block
    Graphics Card #2Waste of PCI lanes in NVME environment
    Sound CardStock
    MonitorLG 34" Ultra Wide3440x1440
    Storage #14ea 960 Pro 2TB, 2ea 970 Evo 2TB
    Storage #21ea 960 Pro 1 TB, 1ea 970 Pro 1TB
    CPU CoolerEKWB CPU, Swiftech Res/pump, 400mm Rad
    CaseThermaltake View 91
    Power SupplyNZXT Hale 90 1200W
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Razer Ouroboros
    OS W10 64 1809, 1903, Ubuntu Linux
    Network RouterNetgear R9000 + 4ea R9000 AP's, 10 Gb Switch
    Accessory #1 Hyper M.2 X16 V2
    Accessory #2 10GB network via Intel 550 Nic
    Accessory #3 2 10GB Asustor NAS 7000 series

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    282

    The Apex has 2 dimm slots and 2 cards. 1 slot is CPU and 1 is PCH. I'm currently running the OS in the PCH slot and keep the second card as a spare.
    What can I say, I'm lazy. If I blow up 1 OS playing with it I can just drop the other one in. I also keep extra ssd's with OS variants on them.

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    258

    Quote Originally Posted by ratzofftoya View Post
    Hey all,

    Excited to be installing my Rampage VI this weekend. I mostly game, edits videos, and work in CAD on my computer. What do you think is an optimal storage configuration that uses the Rampage capabilities (hyper m.2 card, DIMM.2, VROC?) to their fullest? I plan on using two raided SSDs for my scratch disk and four raided HDDs for long-term project storage.

    But where do I stick all my m.2 drives and how do I configure them for the best OS and game/application drive setup?

    Thanks!
    I run 2 Hyper x16 cards with 8 Intel 900ps which are limited to 280GB each RAID 0. I really like the speed and the fact the drives never need factory reset or degrade performance due to space used etc. But this limits me to 2TB. I use this drive as my data drive. I boot off a Samsung 960 pro. All these drives run thru the CPU VROC VMD controllers. No PCH. So I get full bandwidth.

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Brighttail PC Specs
    Brighttail PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G751JT
    MotherboardAsus x299 Rampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-7900x
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum SE 3200Mhz 4x8
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080TI
    MonitorAcer XB321HK (4k,IPS,G-sync)
    Storage #1Intel 900p (Boot) 2xSM961 (RAID 0) Games
    Storage #2Samsung 850 Pro 512GB - WD Black 4TB
    CPU CoolerCustom Water Cool
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair Platinum 95
    Mouse Asus SPATHA
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM800
    Headset/Speakers Kanyo Y5
    OS Windows 10 64 bit
    Accessory #1 2 x Alphacool Full Copper Radiator 420mm/280mm
    Accessory #2 Monsoon MMRS reservoir w/ 2 x D5 Vario Pump
    Accessory #3 Monsoon Free Center Compression Fittings

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Reputation
    33
    Posts
    1,336

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
    I run 2 Hyper x16 cards with 8 Intel 900ps which are limited to 280GB each RAID 0. I really like the speed and the fact the drives never need factory reset or degrade performance due to space used etc. But this limits me to 2TB. I use this drive as my data drive. I boot off a Samsung 960 pro. All these drives run thru the CPU VROC VMD controllers. No PCH. So I get full bandwidth.
    Yeah Charlie has a beast of a VROC setup. I'm glad it works for him but I don't think I could live with having to look at all those wires coming out of the Hyper x16s. Course if you don't care about looks it is one of the rare machines on planet Earth that is fully taking advantage of the VROC technology with those 900p drives.
    Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz
    MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB
    Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD
    Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram
    Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

  7. #7
    ROG Enthusiast Array Aysberg PC Specs
    Aysberg PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME OMEGA
    ProcessorIntel Core i9-7980XE
    Memory (part number)4 x F4-3200C14-16GTZ
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra Gaming (11G-P4-2382)
    Graphics Card #2EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Gaming (11G-P4-2382)
    Monitor1x LG 34GK950G / 2 x HP DreamColor Z27x
    Storage #12 x Samsung NVMe 970 EVO 2TB / Samsung NVMe 3 x 960 EVO 1TB
    Storage #24 x SanDisk SDSSDHII960G
    CPU Coolercuplex kryos NEXT
    CaseLianLi PC-A75X
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1200i
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
    Mouse Roccat LEADR
    Headset AKG K712 + ModMic 5
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64 1909
    Network RouterMikroTik CRS317-1G-16S+RM
    Accessory #1 Mellanox ConnectX-3
    Accessory #2 Asus Hyper M.2 X16 Card

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Reputation
    18
    Posts
    69

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
    I run 2 Hyper x16 cards with 8 Intel 900ps which are limited to 280GB each RAID 0. I really like the speed and the fact the drives never need factory reset or degrade performance due to space used etc. But this limits me to 2TB. I use this drive as my data drive. I boot off a Samsung 960 pro. All these drives run thru the CPU VROC VMD controllers. No PCH. So I get full bandwidth.
    Out of curiosity, which chipset/mainboard are you using. x299 can mostly just run x16/x16/x8 at max. Are you running your GPU with just PCIex8 when you are using two Hyper x16 with 4 drives on each card? I am thinking to switch my RVIE for a SAGE to have those plex chips and four "full" PCIex16 slots.

  8. #8
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    Quote Originally Posted by ratzofftoya View Post
    Installed VROC key,
    how?
    where did you buy it?

  9. #9
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array G75rog PC Specs
    G75rog PC Specs
    MotherboardR VI Apex
    ProcessorI9-7900X
    Memory (part number)64GB Gskill Trident Z
    Graphics Card #1AMD Radeon VII EKWB water block
    Graphics Card #2Waste of PCI lanes in NVME environment
    Sound CardStock
    MonitorLG 34" Ultra Wide3440x1440
    Storage #14ea 960 Pro 2TB, 2ea 970 Evo 2TB
    Storage #21ea 960 Pro 1 TB, 1ea 970 Pro 1TB
    CPU CoolerEKWB CPU, Swiftech Res/pump, 400mm Rad
    CaseThermaltake View 91
    Power SupplyNZXT Hale 90 1200W
    Keyboard Logitech G910
    Mouse Razer Ouroboros
    OS W10 64 1809, 1903, Ubuntu Linux
    Network RouterNetgear R9000 + 4ea R9000 AP's, 10 Gb Switch
    Accessory #1 Hyper M.2 X16 V2
    Accessory #2 10GB network via Intel 550 Nic
    Accessory #3 2 10GB Asustor NAS 7000 series

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    282

    Quote Originally Posted by wln123 View Post
    how?
    where did you buy it?
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...nd-ISSDMOD-key

  10. #10
    ROG Enthusiast Array birdman941 PC Specs
    birdman941 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsrock X299 Taichi XE
    Processori9 7900X (delidded)
    Memory (part number)64GB (4x16) Ballistix DDR4 2666 1.2V
    Graphics Card #1EVGA 1080ti SC2 hybrid
    Sound CardOnboard (Creative)
    MonitorLG - 27UD68 27" 4K
    Storage #14 x 280GB Intel Optane U.2 to M.2 in RAID0
    Storage #2Asus Hyper M.2 x 16 AIC
    CPU CoolerCorsair H115i 280mm push/pull
    CaseEnermax Ostrog GT blue
    Power SupplyCorsair HX 1000i w/Blue braided cable set
    Keyboard Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red
    Mouse Corsair M65 PRO RGB
    Headset Turtle Beach Ear Force Stealth 450
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM300
    Headset/Speakers Creative SoundBlasterX Katana
    OS Win10 Pro OEM
    Accessory #1 Asrock Thunderbolt 3 AIC
    Accessory #2 Rockit Cool X299 delid tool
    Accessory #3 COUGAR Armor-S Gaming Chair

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    53

    Quote Originally Posted by Brighttail View Post
    Yeah Charlie has a beast of a VROC setup. I'm glad it works for him but I don't think I could live with having to look at all those wires coming out of the Hyper x16s. Course if you don't care about looks it is one of the rare machines on planet Earth that is fully taking advantage of the VROC technology with those 900p drives.
    I will be running one Hyper card and 4 900P U.2-M.2 on VROCISSDMOD key.
    SOON!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •