cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage VI Optimal Storage Configuration

ratzofftoya
Level 7
Hey all,

Excited to be installing my Rampage VI this weekend. I mostly game, edits videos, and work in CAD on my computer. What do you think is an optimal storage configuration that uses the Rampage capabilities (hyper m.2 card, DIMM.2, VROC?) to their fullest? I plan on using two raided SSDs for my scratch disk and four raided HDDs for long-term project storage.

But where do I stick all my m.2 drives and how do I configure them for the best OS and game/application drive setup?

Thanks!
25 REPLIES 25

G75rog
Level 10
7900X Apex here with a 1tb 960 pro on a dimm for OS and 4 2tb 960 pro's on a hyper x16 card in data mode for apps, games, usenet, and work space. All long term is on 2 Asustor NAS's. The 5 computers in the house are 100% ssd with no spinner hdd allowed. Installed a vroc key but it's useless with the 960s. Ran a Win raid with 2 of the 2tb's and the speed was nice but, for my use it wasn't really needed since the 960s are so fast anyway and went back to singles.

I have a second dimm loaded with a cloned backup OS.

G75rog wrote:
7900X Apex here with a 1tb 960 pro on a dimm for OS and 4 2tb 960 pro's on a hyper x16 card in data mode for apps, games, usenet, and work space. All long term is on 2 Asustor NAS's. The 5 computers in the house are 100% ssd with no spinner hdd allowed. Installed a vroc key but it's useless with the 960s. Ran a Win raid with 2 of the 2tb's and the speed was nice but, for my use it wasn't really needed since the 960s are so fast anyway and went back to singles.

I have a second dimm loaded with a cloned backup OS.

Awesome, thanks. When you say you have a second dimm loaded with a cloned backup OS, what do you mean? Like a second dimm that is not in the machine but can be swapped in if necessary?

ratzofftoya wrote:
Installed VROC key,

how?
where did you buy it?

G75rog
Level 10
The Apex has 2 dimm slots and 2 cards. 1 slot is CPU and 1 is PCH. I'm currently running the OS in the PCH slot and keep the second card as a spare.
What can I say, I'm lazy. If I blow up 1 OS playing with it I can just drop the other one in. I also keep extra ssd's with OS variants on them.

CharlieH
Level 8
ratzofftoya wrote:
Hey all,

Excited to be installing my Rampage VI this weekend. I mostly game, edits videos, and work in CAD on my computer. What do you think is an optimal storage configuration that uses the Rampage capabilities (hyper m.2 card, DIMM.2, VROC?) to their fullest? I plan on using two raided SSDs for my scratch disk and four raided HDDs for long-term project storage.

But where do I stick all my m.2 drives and how do I configure them for the best OS and game/application drive setup?

Thanks!

I run 2 Hyper x16 cards with 8 Intel 900ps which are limited to 280GB each RAID 0. I really like the speed and the fact the drives never need factory reset or degrade performance due to space used etc. But this limits me to 2TB. I use this drive as my data drive. I boot off a Samsung 960 pro. All these drives run thru the CPU VROC VMD controllers. No PCH. So I get full bandwidth.

CharlieH wrote:
I run 2 Hyper x16 cards with 8 Intel 900ps which are limited to 280GB each RAID 0. I really like the speed and the fact the drives never need factory reset or degrade performance due to space used etc. But this limits me to 2TB. I use this drive as my data drive. I boot off a Samsung 960 pro. All these drives run thru the CPU VROC VMD controllers. No PCH. So I get full bandwidth.

Yeah Charlie has a beast of a VROC setup. I'm glad it works for him but I don't think I could live with having to look at all those wires coming out of the Hyper x16s. 🙂 Course if you don't care about looks it is one of the rare machines on planet Earth that is fully taking advantage of the VROC technology with those 900p drives. 🙂
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Brighttail wrote:
Yeah Charlie has a beast of a VROC setup. I'm glad it works for him but I don't think I could live with having to look at all those wires coming out of the Hyper x16s. 🙂 Course if you don't care about looks it is one of the rare machines on planet Earth that is fully taking advantage of the VROC technology with those 900p drives. 🙂

I will be running one Hyper card and 4 900P U.2-M.2 on VROCISSDMOD key.
SOON!

birdman941 wrote:
I will be running one Hyper card and 4 900P U.2-M.2 on VROCISSDMOD key.
SOON!

You don't need the key with that setup. I run two Hyper X16 cards with 8 Intel 900ps in RAID 0 w/o any key. I tested 4 in RAID 0 before I did 8 w/o a key too. You only need the key for non-intel drives and higher level RAID.