ROG Member Array

Cannot get CPU fan full speed

Hi all,

I really need to find a way to get full speed from my CPU fans. I just completed a new build a week ago and I just recently noticed the issue with CPU fan speed. I have the Asus Maximus X code witj BIOS 1003, i7 8700k, @ 4.9GHZ, Gskill tridenz 16GB@ 3600 clocked down to 3200. I'm using Corsair H100i V2 for CPU cooling with fan connector plugged into cpu header. The stock corsair fans have been replaced with 2 Corsair ML120 PRO's which are advertised at 400 - 2,400 RPM each. However, HWmonitor is showing me a max at 1450rom at full load. Aisuite also shows a max at 1450rpm. The BIOS already had Q fan disabled so at this point I'm not sure what to do. I re-enabled Qfan but it made no difference. Is there anything else I am missing? Thanks.

Troy

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ASUS's Avatar

When re-enabling QFAN, have you tried manually selecting PWM?

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Menthol PC Specs
    Menthol PC Specs
    MotherboardM 10 Apex / XI gene
    Processor8700K / 9900K
    Memory (part number)2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4266/2x2x8 Gskill Trident Z 4500
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080ti / GTX 1060
    Sound CardSoundBlaster Ae5 / Onboard
    MonitorBENQ 32" 4K
    Storage #1Intel 900p 480GB/Samsung 960 Pro 1TB
    Storage #2Intel 750 1.2TB/Plextor 1 TB 2X 950 Pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i AIO / H1110i
    CaseCorsair 740 ? Lian Li Air
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1200i / AX 1200i
    Keyboard Corsair
    Mouse ASUS Strix
    Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea

On Corsair AIO's there is a sata connector for power to the pump, a single wire that reads pump speed and the fan header from the pump to dual fans, how do you have them connected? If you have 2 fans connected to one fan header with an adapter the speed will not be read correctly.
    My suggestion is connect the pump speed connector to the AIO header so you can see the pump speed (leave on default in bios), connect the 2 radiator fans to the CPU and CPU_OPT fan headers, set on Standard or Turbo or set up manually if you prefer, this will give you bios control over the radiator fans and speed should be read correctly.
    Trust me other than for a short time you will not want to run those fans at full speed, the noise will be terrible.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post
    When re-enabling QFAN, have you tried manually selecting PWM?
    I think I did, and I believe there might have been options for different settings and at that point, I wasn't sure what to do

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Menthol View Post
    On Corsair AIO's there is a sata connector for power to the pump, a single wire that reads pump speed and the fan header from the pump to dual fans, how do you have them connected? If you have 2 fans connected to one fan header with an adapter the speed will not be read correctly.
    My suggestion is connect the pump speed connector to the AIO header so you can see the pump speed (leave on default in bios), connect the 2 radiator fans to the CPU and CPU_OPT fan headers, set on Standard or Turbo or set up manually if you prefer, this will give you bios control over the radiator fans and speed should be read correctly.
    Trust me other than for a short time you will not want to run those fans at full speed, the noise will be terrible.
    How I have everything connected:
    Two fan headers from pump connected to the Corsair fans
    CPU fan header is connected to the CPU fan connector on MOBO
    Corsair link cable connected via USB on pump and into the 8 pin USB connector on MOBO

I assume this is the way everything should be connected. When you refer to power to the pump from SATA connector, power to the pump looks like it comes from MOBO CPU fan connector. My old H100i did come with a power connector for the pump, but not this current model.
    Last edited by tkemp66; 02-03-2018 at 06:03 PM.

ROG Member Array

I made some connectivity changes to verify H100v2 and fan functionality by connecting the fans directly to CPU 1 and CPU opt. and now both fans spin at 2500+ rpm. The pump header I have connected to a powered fan header that runs from the power supply. The only problem now is trying to control the fan speed while on the CPU headers, as they are constantly at 100% throttle. I've since uninstalled AiSuite because I thought it was managing the CPU fans at a lower RPM. Is it possible that if I reinstall AiSuite, that it willmanage the cpu speeds correctly with the way I things connected?

Troy

ROG Member Array

I think my problem is resolved. With my current connectivity, AiSuite is able to manage my CPU fans appropriately by reducing to the lowest possible rpm@400 to the highest possible @2600rpm. I will report back if there is anything different, although I would still like to get feedback on whether my connectivity is even ok? Thanks.

Troy

TeamROG Folding@Home Array ottoyu34 PC Specs
    ottoyu34 PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus IX Hero
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 7700K
    Memory (part number)Trident Z RGB (F4-3600C16D-16GTZR)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Strix GTX1080 Ti OC
    MonitorLG IPS LED 27"
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1TB
    Storage #2Crucial MX300 525GB SSD
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro H115i
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Ed.
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
    Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K65
    Mouse Logitech G502
    Mouse Pad Razer Destructor
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z-2300 2.1
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterAsus RT-N66U

Quote Originally Posted by tkemp66 View Post
    How I have everything connected:
    Two fan headers from pump connected to the Corsair fans
    CPU fan header is connected to the CPU fan connector on MOBO
    Corsair link cable connected via USB on pump and into the 8 pin USB connector on MOBO

I assume this is the way everything should be connected. When you refer to power to the pump from SATA connector, power to the pump looks like it comes from MOBO CPU fan connector. My old H100i did come with a power connector for the pump, but not this current model.
    I would suggest connect it what Corsair suggests which you did.
    Then you would control the fan speed or set fan curves on their software.