cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get CPU fan full speed

tkemp66
Level 7
Hi all,

I really need to find a way to get full speed from my CPU fans. I just completed a new build a week ago and I just recently noticed the issue with CPU fan speed. I have the Asus Maximus X code witj BIOS 1003, i7 8700k, @ 4.9GHZ, Gskill tridenz 16GB@ 3600 clocked down to 3200. I'm using Corsair H100i V2 for CPU cooling with fan connector plugged into cpu header. The stock corsair fans have been replaced with 2 Corsair ML120 PRO's which are advertised at 400 - 2,400 RPM each. However, HWmonitor is showing me a max at 1450rom at full load. Aisuite also shows a max at 1450rpm. The BIOS already had Q fan disabled so at this point I'm not sure what to do. I re-enabled Qfan but it made no difference. Is there anything else I am missing? Thanks.

Troy
7 REPLIES 7

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
When re-enabling QFAN, have you tried manually selecting PWM?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
When re-enabling QFAN, have you tried manually selecting PWM?

I think I did, and I believe there might have been options for different settings and at that point, I wasn't sure what to do

Menthol
Level 14
On Corsair AIO's there is a sata connector for power to the pump, a single wire that reads pump speed and the fan header from the pump to dual fans, how do you have them connected? If you have 2 fans connected to one fan header with an adapter the speed will not be read correctly.
My suggestion is connect the pump speed connector to the AIO header so you can see the pump speed (leave on default in bios), connect the 2 radiator fans to the CPU and CPU_OPT fan headers, set on Standard or Turbo or set up manually if you prefer, this will give you bios control over the radiator fans and speed should be read correctly.
Trust me other than for a short time you will not want to run those fans at full speed, the noise will be terrible.

Menthol wrote:
On Corsair AIO's there is a sata connector for power to the pump, a single wire that reads pump speed and the fan header from the pump to dual fans, how do you have them connected? If you have 2 fans connected to one fan header with an adapter the speed will not be read correctly.
My suggestion is connect the pump speed connector to the AIO header so you can see the pump speed (leave on default in bios), connect the 2 radiator fans to the CPU and CPU_OPT fan headers, set on Standard or Turbo or set up manually if you prefer, this will give you bios control over the radiator fans and speed should be read correctly.
Trust me other than for a short time you will not want to run those fans at full speed, the noise will be terrible.

How I have everything connected:
Two fan headers from pump connected to the Corsair fans
CPU fan header is connected to the CPU fan connector on MOBO
Corsair link cable connected via USB on pump and into the 8 pin USB connector on MOBO

I assume this is the way everything should be connected. When you refer to power to the pump from SATA connector, power to the pump looks like it comes from MOBO CPU fan connector. My old H100i did come with a power connector for the pump, but not this current model.

tkemp66 wrote:
How I have everything connected:
Two fan headers from pump connected to the Corsair fans
CPU fan header is connected to the CPU fan connector on MOBO
Corsair link cable connected via USB on pump and into the 8 pin USB connector on MOBO

I assume this is the way everything should be connected. When you refer to power to the pump from SATA connector, power to the pump looks like it comes from MOBO CPU fan connector. My old H100i did come with a power connector for the pump, but not this current model.

I would suggest connect it what Corsair suggests which you did.
Then you would control the fan speed or set fan curves on their software.

tkemp66
Level 7
I made some connectivity changes to verify H100v2 and fan functionality by connecting the fans directly to CPU 1 and CPU opt. and now both fans spin at 2500+ rpm. The pump header I have connected to a powered fan header that runs from the power supply. The only problem now is trying to control the fan speed while on the CPU headers, as they are constantly at 100% throttle. I've since uninstalled AiSuite because I thought it was managing the CPU fans at a lower RPM. Is it possible that if I reinstall AiSuite, that it willmanage the cpu speeds correctly with the way I things connected?

Troy

tkemp66
Level 7
I think my problem is resolved. With my current connectivity, AiSuite is able to manage my CPU fans appropriately by reducing to the lowest possible rpm@400 to the highest possible @2600rpm. I will report back if there is anything different, although I would still like to get feedback on whether my connectivity is even ok? Thanks.

Troy