cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should my PG348Q indicate a red power led for G-Sync while on the desktop?

Zeroed85
Level 8
I disabled G-Sync via Nvidia control panel today to run a Firestrike benchmark. Now that I have re-enabled G-Sync my power led is white while on the desktop where as I am certain I had red G-Sync led while on the desktop before hand. The led is changing to red in games. Is G-Sync supposed to be active with a red led on the desktop or not? A quick google suggests this might be a bug with the Nvidia control panel that keeps it red if G-Sync has never been disabled/re-enabled?
6 REPLIES 6

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
This is normal. Red simply means G-Sync enabled. AFAIK, the way the NV driver and G-Sync interacts with the module changed at some stage, which means that as long as it's enabled in the NV Control panel, it will also show as active at desktop on certain monitors.

Perhaps try simply with full screen enabled and not windowed if you have not done so already. Naturally, disabling G-Sync altogether the LED should turn white. If the LED is showing red in games, then I wouldn't be too concerned.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Zeroed85
Level 8
Maybe that was an issue with the driver instead (showing red on the desktop)? Since I am sure I had red on the desktop prior to disabling G-Sync maybe the disabling and re-enabling reset it to what it should be? Can anybody clarify this?

G-Sync is working as normal in full screen games with the red led.

cljustin
Level 8
Red - enabled GSYNC, White- disabled, Gsync. You should check what GSYNC options do you have for your games. You can choose GSYNC used for both windowed mode + full screen, or just full screen.

Kind of weird, but my PG278Q remains red all the time when Gsync is enabled. However, my PG258Q only is red when Gsync is active (when a game is running) and goes white even when I alt-tab out of the game. It probably comes down to what version of Gsync? Drivers? Firmware on the monitor?

Chris99 wrote:
Kind of weird, but my PG278Q remains red all the time when Gsync is enabled. However, my PG258Q only is red when Gsync is active (when a game is running) and goes white even when I alt-tab out of the game. It probably comes down to what version of Gsync? Drivers? Firmware on the monitor?

Monitor firmware. Well, and driver. You could resolve it by vastly rolling back to a much earlier driver build which is obviously a bad idea.

It doesn't bother me that the LED is active, it just reminds me it's not disabled in CP.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
Monitor firmware. Well, and driver. You could resolve it by vastly rolling back to a much earlier driver build which is obviously a bad idea.

It doesn't bother me that the LED is active, it just reminds me it's not disabled in CP.

Yeah, it really is just a light, everything still functions as it should. I typically just ignore it.