Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prime z370-a bios 0607

katlani
Level 9
Hi,

PRIME Z370-A BIOS 0607
Improve system stability.

Does it also include the micro code update most of us decided to stay away from which was introduced on 0606 version?
20 REPLIES 20

pokuly
Level 8
Hello to the ROG forum,
0607 and 0606 still use microcode 7C for my 8700k.
It is a shame a new 8700k coffee lake running 3200 CL14 RAM feels sometimes slower and more hiccuped compared to an old z77 3570k DDR3 1866.
I did build my system the day BIOS 0606 came out. If i had known what a performance disaster the Intel spectre bug was i had surely decided against a new Intel system. Intel internally did long know about it and fooled us. More as 30% performance hit for a RAMdisk alone for the Spectre fix.

btw. the PRIME Z370-A for overclocking isn't the very best choice. VR thermal throttling in a good ventilated case for Prime95 with AVX@6x4.6GHz 1.168V is not exactly a masterpiece. 60% minimum for a DC fan...

Hi,

I own a 8700k myself with a Z370-A PRIME, but did not update the BIOS after the 0605 version for the reasons you've mentioned.
Can you go back to 0605 yourself to get the 100% performance you are expecting?

Hi,
I tried the beta 5605 one day and write performance was good. They use microcode 6E in this version.
RAMdisk 4k went back from 480 to 720 in Crystal Diskmark. My old z77 DDR3 1866 had ~650 if i remember right.
It has a clearly better overall feeling also. I didn't try other RAMdisk software because RAMfdiskUI always worked nicely before.
One more strange thing i noticed. If i want to have a good laugh i simply start backing up huge data from an external USB disk while trying to multitask. Hiccupland!

We may have a chance things get slightly better. I patched the latest 906EA microcode 84 into the 0607 release and became at least some performance back.
Here are pics for a Softperfect RamDisk 12GB.

Edit: Just another bench with the Spectre patch disabled to show how shameless Intel fooled us all.

Anyone tried this also?
I have a strange problem with prime95 now. Setting 'Small FFTs (maximum heat...'
The same overclock that was AVX stable @4.6GHz (4.8GHz AVX 2) now fails even @4.5GHz in the way some workers simply don't start and sit there forever. This happens very seldom but does. No error message.
I may recheck when bored and just wanted to ask here. I used Prime95 29.4b7 and 28.7 because to be constant with older testing. No problem with non AVX 4.8GHz.
Lets see what ASUS comes up with an in-house tested version.
It may be this Spectre fix costs lots of performance and additionaly steals overclocking headroom. :confused:

Seems only some tiny Voltage increase is needed.

Today the official BIOS with µC 84 was released as version 0613. The bench pretty much matches the self made one.

After several BIOS and Win10 updates a little update about how it goes.
BIOS 0805 + microcode 96

pokuly wrote:
Anyone tried this also?
I have a strange problem with prime95 now. Setting 'Small FFTs (maximum heat...'
The same overclock that was AVX stable @4.6GHz (4.8GHz AVX 2) now fails even @4.5GHz in the way some workers simply don't start and sit there forever. This happens very seldom but does. No error message.
I may recheck when bored and just wanted to ask here. I used Prime95 29.4b7 and 28.7 because to be constant with older testing. No problem with non AVX 4.8GHz.
Lets see what ASUS comes up with an in-house tested version.
It may be this Spectre fix costs lots of performance and additionaly steals overclocking headroom. :confused:

Seems only some tiny Voltage increase is needed.

I have simillar Issue after installing the new 805 bios. But maybe my problem exists even from 607. I didnt test it , i stressed after the 805

My system (8600K) is stable on 5GHZ like before on Realbench and prime95 but NOT on OCCT. it fails after 10seconds

Just to know, there is NO back after 805. it doesnt let me flash previous version ANYMORE

greekwow wrote:
Just to know, there is NO back after 805. it doesnt let me flash previous version ANYMORE

Did you try the violent way? https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?99490-Flash-any-most-Asus-motherboard-Bios-in-DOS-with-USB...
You may reenter your MAC address afterwards with eeupdate.exe so i advice to write it down before. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100441-Update-microcode-for-Spectre/page2#post709330