cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only RAID0, no RAID1?

surfer96
Level 7
Hi,

I've replace the optical drive with another harddrive, identical to the one already installed. Since they are both connected to the same SATA controller I was hoping to configure them in RAID1 (so one mirroring the other as an extra security measure in case of harddrive failure). However, from the BIOS the only option appears to be RAID0.
Am I missing something to enable RAID1 or is it actually just limited to RAID0? I'm running the latest BIOS version 304.

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

jdfrench3
Level 12
I'm guessing you have a G752VS with two NVMe drives in Raid 0 for your boot drive. A built-in CPU Raid Controller is responsible for the boot drives setup this way. I believe what you want is to place your two other hard drives into a Raid 1. You could use Windows 10 Storage Spaces and invoke resiliency type as two-way mirror. Read up on Storage Spaces. Note both hard drives would have to be formatted before use.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3
Level 12
This is a good article explaining the Storage Spaces process:

https://www.computerpoweruser.com/article/24715/build-a-software-raid-with-windows-10-storage-spaces
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

Clintlgm
Level 14
Just install the window full IRST drivers and create your Raid 1
The UEF RAID setting is for your OS drive the 2 M.2 drives
You'll need the windows software to set RAID 1 on your other drives. however is that what you really want to do?? the Optical drive is on a 1.5 SATA while your 2.5 hard drive is SATA 3, your raid would be slowed down considerable just using RAID 1 and then even slower since the RAID could only run as fast as your slowest drives.
much more sensible set up it to install Marcuim Reflect and get a 4 TB WD Passport USB 3.0 you can set up any sort of backups you want including real-time backup. As far as that goes we have Thumb drives up to about 500 GB now if your worried about losing your current work have a back up running to one of those until you do your daily backup at the end of your day.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

I assumed that both hdd as dvd were on the same controller, with dvd speed bottleneck within the reader itself and not the controller.
So I ran CrystalDiskMark speed test on my SSD drives and confirmed they are equal in speed. On the left the SSD that replaced the HDD and on the right the SSD that replaced the DVD:
73526 73527

For comparison these are the benchmark results of the RAID0 on the M2 sticks. The real advantage of RAID0 here is that write speeds are doubled and match read speeds. Reading is limited by the controller capacity so no real gain here with RAID0 (sorry I have no benchmarks results to attach for non RAID speeds so you'll have to take my word on it).

I have given up on trying to create a RAID1 config and simply decided to make one big RAID0 volume. Here is the result of the speedtest:

surfer96 wrote:
I have given up on trying to create a RAID1 config and simply decided to make one big RAID0 volume. Here is the result of the speedtest:

Yep pretty much made your M.2 NVME drives useless running at less than half really a 1/3 of there potential. and any failure of any kind on any one of the drives you will lose everything unrecoverable. Your total drive size is controlled by the smallest drive and any backups will take forever.

If your happy good for you
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Do not use Raid, there's no point with NVMe Drives in the PCIe lane.

NVMe Drives are like, 5x faster than normal SSD's, and SSDs are 5x faster than HDDs. So your NVMe's are 25x faster than your Data Drive, pretty much overkill.

You put double the data at risk, for no gain.

Best to have an OS Drive(SSD), a Gaming Drive(SSD) and a Data Drive (HDD)

Darnassus wrote:
Do not use Raid, there's no point with NVMe Drives in the PCIe lane.

NVMe Drives are like, 5x faster than normal SSD's, and SSDs are 5x faster than HDDs. So your NVMe's are 25x faster than your Data Drive, pretty much overkill.

You put double the data at risk, for no gain.

Best to have an OS Drive(SSD), a Gaming Drive(SSD) and a Data Drive (HDD)

Ditto
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro