cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely long boot time & long last BIOS time

DJLTY
Level 7
Hi,

Enjoying my new build, with one big exception. The boot time is ridiculously long - probably about 40 seconds to a minute from pressing power button, to working desktop. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem, and hoping it's just either a not so straightforward fix or just the board needing BIOS tweaks since it's still so new. I'll list what I've tried below, but will list the details of my PC first to see if maybe there's some conflicts going on.

Here's the details of my PC:

- Win 10 Enterprise
- Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme
- i9 7940X, stock clock
- 128gb Corsair Vengeance Ram XMP@3000
- Samsung 960 Pro m.2 nvme 512gb as windows drive in M.2_1 Socket 3 bay (the one under the chipset shield)
- 960 Pro m.2 nvme 2tb in one of the slots of the DIMM.2_SLOT (next to the ram)
- 850 Evo 2tb in a hot swap drive
- HGST Deskstar 4tb 7200
- Gigabyte Aorus waterblock 1080ti
- EK Coolstream PE 360mm rad
- EK xres revo d5 pump combo
- I do have an NZXT internal USB 2.0 hub that's used to connect a few things like a front USB 2.0 panel, a corsair lighting unit/fan hub controlling 6 RGB fans & 4 LED strips

Here's what happens, & what I've tried:

I push power button, and PC turns on. Monitor doesn't turn on until about maybe 20 seconds later, and then after a few seconds the American Megatreds POST pops up for maybe 5 seconds. Then, it will go to the win 10 black screen with blue icon loading screen, and then jumps straight into windows quickly after that. Sometimes the PC will bypass the win 10 loading screen very fast, other times it hangs there for 10 seconds or more. It's consistently long, but not always the same.

I've downloaded and installed the nvme drivers from samsung, crystal disk mark shows the speeds on both nvme drives are accurate, I've gone into bios and made sure that drives are set to AHCI, enabled fast boot, disabled a lot of the post system checks. I moved the water pump header from w_pump+1 to a high amp fan header on the motherboard (no good), then tried removing different connections on the board one by one to see if something was causing it to hang. I removed one of the USB 3.1 gen 1 connector (no good), I removed the NZXT internal USB 2.0 hub (no good), I tried booting with just 1x16gb stick of ram (no good), I tried removing every drive except the 960 pro 512gb boot drive under the chipset armor (no good). I'm really lost here about what the hell is going on with this system, and why it's taking so long to boot. I'm wondering if a total reinstall of windows is needed.

At this point, any help or ideas would be appreciated. I bought almost everything from amazon, but I'm outside the 30 day return window so if there's a bad part it'd have to be RMA though warranty from company (which I REALLY hope is not the case & would like to avoid). I hate to think I spent all that money on those nvme drives only to have boot-ups slower than my old 5400 rpm IDE HDD windows xp systems from 10+ years ago. I'm thinking to try installing windows on the nvme drive when it's the ONLY drive present in the system, or moving it to the DIMM.2 slot, or just seeing what happens if I install it on my 850 EVO instead and see if it's any faster. I know the R6E is a very new board, and it might just be a bios thing too, but either way, I'm stuck and please....halp!!

Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

Marko911
Level 8
DJLTY wrote:
Hi,

Enjoying my new build, with one big exception. The boot time is ridiculously long - probably about 40 seconds to a minute from pressing power button, to working desktop. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem, and hoping it's just either a not so straightforward fix or just the board needing BIOS tweaks since it's still so new. I'll list what I've tried below, but will list the details of my PC first to see if maybe there's some conflicts going on.

Here's the details of my PC:

- Win 10 Enterprise
- Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme
- i9 7940X, stock clock
- 128gb Corsair Vengeance Ram XMP@3000
- Samsung 960 Pro m.2 nvme 512gb as windows drive in M.2_1 Socket 3 bay (the one under the chipset shield)
- 960 Pro m.2 nvme 2tb in one of the slots of the DIMM.2_SLOT (next to the ram)
- 850 Evo 2tb in a hot swap drive
- HGST Deskstar 4tb 7200
- Gigabyte Aorus waterblock 1080ti
- EK Coolstream PE 360mm rad
- EK xres revo d5 pump combo
- I do have an NZXT internal USB 2.0 hub that's used to connect a few things like a front USB 2.0 panel, a corsair lighting unit/fan hub controlling 6 RGB fans & 4 LED strips

Here's what happens, & what I've tried:

I push power button, and PC turns on. Monitor doesn't turn on until about maybe 20 seconds later, and then after a few seconds the American Megatreds POST pops up for maybe 5 seconds. Then, it will go to the win 10 black screen with blue icon loading screen, and then jumps straight into windows quickly after that. Sometimes the PC will bypass the win 10 loading screen very fast, other times it hangs there for 10 seconds or more. It's consistently long, but not always the same.

I've downloaded and installed the nvme drivers from samsung, crystal disk mark shows the speeds on both nvme drives are accurate, I've gone into bios and made sure that drives are set to AHCI, enabled fast boot, disabled a lot of the post system checks. I moved the water pump header from w_pump+1 to a high amp fan header on the motherboard (no good), then tried removing different connections on the board one by one to see if something was causing it to hang. I removed one of the USB 3.1 gen 1 connector (no good), I removed the NZXT internal USB 2.0 hub (no good), I tried booting with just 1x16gb stick of ram (no good), I tried removing every drive except the 960 pro 512gb boot drive under the chipset armor (no good). I'm really lost here about what the hell is going on with this system, and why it's taking so long to boot. I'm wondering if a total reinstall of windows is needed.

At this point, any help or ideas would be appreciated. I bought almost everything from amazon, but I'm outside the 30 day return window so if there's a bad part it'd have to be RMA though warranty from company (which I REALLY hope is not the case & would like to avoid). I hate to think I spent all that money on those nvme drives only to have boot-ups slower than my old 5400 rpm IDE HDD windows xp systems from 10+ years ago. I'm thinking to try installing windows on the nvme drive when it's the ONLY drive present in the system, or moving it to the DIMM.2 slot, or just seeing what happens if I install it on my 850 EVO instead and see if it's any faster. I know the R6E is a very new board, and it might just be a bios thing too, but either way, I'm stuck and please....halp!!

Thanks

Yeah,I'm new to HEDT platform,so I couldn't say is that normal ,but I did noticed that my i9 7900x is comparably slower than my i7 7700k...like from hitting power button to desktop took like 4 sec*(but that CPU was OCed to 5,0Ghz ) and bios load time in aorus gaming 9 z270x was about the same ,3-4 sec.
OCed or not my x299 always took some descent time to boot up,like from times when my old pc pentium II was running hot...(60/70sec to get in BIOS,1 min+ to boot up)...I use that time in the morning to refill my coffee 😄
Anyway,look at that boot time as a sign to refill your coffee 😄

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Boot time has near zero to do with:

How OCd your CPU is
How fast your OS drive is

It has everything to do with:

The complexity of the platform
The number of devices you have connected or enabled
The quantity and stability of RAM that has to be trained
The drivers loaded at windows startup
Your BIOS Settings

People buy HEDTs because they render a video faster than mainstream...they mulitask better than mainstream i.e. they are faster up and running. They should not buy HEDTs expecting faster boot times...they should in fact expect slower.

Use some form of sleep for fast startup times.

What you can do:

Disable devices you are not using for example Bluetooth or WiFi...if you use an Ethernet cable...

Make sure you do a UEFI Install and have windows boot manager as first priority

Cant remember the field name but it's something like "POST delay time" set this to 0 seconds or 1 or whatever the min is

Don't populate usb headers with tons of devices

Use high quality single kit of QVL RAM and make sure it is dialed in

Appreciate BOOT Time as a work of art and sure

Refill your coffee

🙂

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

How OCd your CPU is

Your BIOS Settings

People buy HEDTs because they render a video faster than mainstream...they mulitask better than mainstream i.e. they are faster up and running. They should not buy HEDTs expecting faster boot times...they should in fact expect slower.

What you can do:

Disable devices you are not using for example Bluetooth or WiFi...if you use an Ethernet cable...

Cant remember the field name but it's something like "BIOS display time" set this to 0 seconds or 1 or whatever the min is

Refill your coffee

🙂

Didn't know that,thanks for explanation 🙂 I didn't change any BIOS boot settings ,cuz it didn't bother me,no post error where found,no win BSOD,everything is running fine.That was just my observation not complaint as I stated in previous post . As I said,it's great coffee time 🙂

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

How OCd your CPU is

Your BIOS Settings

What you can do:

Cant remember the field name but it's something like "POST delay time" set this to 0 seconds or 1 or whatever the min is

Refill your coffee

🙂

Well that kind of sucks. Thanks, yeah I've set post time to 1 or 0, enabled fast boot, turned off splash startup and all that. I've really tried to scour Google with solutions on this, and came up pretty empty other than someone else stating something similar to what you said, that these particular PCs just take longer to boot. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't an anomaly. After enabling/disabling things in bios and all the hardware devices one by one, I'll try a win 10 reboot just out of curiosity. The machine isn't that new and I don't have much loaded on it quite yet. I'm almost certain I installed it UEFI & GPT if memory serves though.

I definitely know about core count helping video rendering, I used my old 4790 to edit multi cam interviews for a radio station I used to work at, and just scrubbing along trying to preview sections at a time was just...well, painful lol. I remember a 45min HD render took like 4 or 5 hours one time 😐 I haven't had the chance to do another project on this system yet, but hope to be surprised when I do. I also produce music, and recall that same system getting a little choppy when running FL studio with a lot of multi tracks and effects per channel running.

No coffee for me, I'll just enjoy the pretty startup rgb light show 🙂 Thanks

I have had a similar issue. My system took several minutes to POST but that time fell to less than ten seconds once I enabled the gigabit Ethernet (I previously disabled it in the bios because I only use the 10gb Ethernet port).

While I am happy to have resolved the issue, I am still confused as to why disabling an adapter I do not use, dramatically increases the POST time. Any thoughts?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah sounds like everything was running as normal...boot time on X79 X99 and now X299 all higher than mainstream platforms...but once they are wound up...they fly 🙂

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Yeah sounds like everything was running as normal...boot time on X79 X99 and now X299 all higher than mainstream platforms...but once they are wound up...they fly 🙂

Install minimum storage device will bring fast boot buddy. Many type of storage devices bring us slower boot due driver and OROMs
Module load.*
W11CANARY 26085.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.86 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Menthol
Level 14
Also disable any startup apps that don't need to start during boot, manually start apps after boot up.